Cruising NOLA 1st time help!

BrezQ

On 6/1/2019 at 4:39 PM, SFCanuck said:

Thanks for all the great info on this thread!

I am also cruising out of NOLA for the first time this September. I am flying into NOLA the day before departure and have a reservation at the Hilton Riverside. Post cruise, I have a reservation at the Hampton on Cardonlet for 2 nights.

I have been to NOLA a couple times for business and was shown the sights and food highlights as my work scheduled allowed (evenings and a random weekend).

This trip I am traveling with my mother (78 years old, mobile but slow), who has not been to NOLA previously.

Looking for some suggestions for self-guided walking tours, possibly good spots to exit from the trolley for a short stroll, resturant recommendations (I'll try anything pretty much, but Mom has a more limited range when it comes to cuisine in general -- other than a major sweet tooth, nothing too pricy, spicy or exotic).

I bet your mother would love Brennan's - the food is not spicy or exotic at all and definitely order the Bananas Foster for both of you (they invented it) - they will flame it table side. Make a reservation so you can eat when you want.   Here is their dinner menu -  and I think the prices are pretty reasonable for NOLA:  https://www.brennansneworleans.com/menus/dinner/

If you are looking for something less expensive, consider Eat New Orleans:  http://eatnola.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Nightwinter19.pdf. This restaurant is BYOB and you still need to make a reservation to eat there for dinner.  

Another less expensive option is https://frenchmarketrestaurant.com/menu/

Here is a great website with pre-planned walking tours you can take to see the sights of New Orleans or even create your own walking tour:  https://www.gpsmycity.com/gps-tour-guides/new-orleans-596.html

Taxis are plentiful and cheap.  Take a taxi to the first location on your walking tour and at the end, take a taxi back to your hotel. If your mom gets tired grab a pedal cab and let them pedal you around so she doesn't have to walk so much.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, SuiteTraveler said:

I bet your mother would love Brennan's ...  https://www.brennansneworleans.com/menus/dinner/

If you are looking for something less expensive, consider Eat New Orleans:  http://eatnola.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Nightwinter19.pdf. This restaurant is BYOB and you still need to make a reservation to eat there for dinner.  

Another less expensive option is https://frenchmarketrestaurant.com/menu/

Here is a great website with pre-planned walking tours you can take to see the sights of New Orleans or even create your own walking tour:  https://www.gpsmycity.com/gps-tour-guides/new-orleans-596.html

Thank you so much for this post.  Between the eating and the sight seeing recommendations, I'll have more than enough to do for the post cruise days.

We're staying at the Intercontinental Hotel near the French Quarters.  Can we get a pedal cab to take us around the French Quarters instead of walking?  If so, where would we pick it up?

17 hours ago, candydane said:

We're staying at the Intercontinental Hotel near the French Quarters.  Can we get a pedal cab to take us around the French Quarters instead of walking?  If so, where would we pick it up?

Here is information on pedi-cabs. You can either hail one, or call their dispatch number.

https://www.neworleans.com/plan/transportation/pedicabs/

dctravel

21 hours ago, candydane said:

You can find pedal cabs all over the French Quarter.  They are very easy to find on Decatur Street, especially and also at the French Market, where they congregate outside.

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, SuiteTraveler said:

I've been visiting NOLA since I was a child.  My favorite hotel is the Hotel Monteleone - get an executive suite if you can - it is fabulous!  Be sure to eat in the hotel restaurant for breakfast and pay a visit to the world famous Carousel bar.  https://hotelmonteleone.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxMjnBRCtARIsAGwWnBMsxfbdE5HnyolP-ui6-Y81igAN6cMH620X4RzGzLN4AYJHMh1eQT4aApAPEALw_wcB

All that the French Quarter has to offer is just a short walk outside the hotel door.  However, taxis and pedal cabs are available all over the French Quarter and most rides are very inexpensive.

My advice is to try one of the classic NOLA restaurants.  I think Arnauds is one of the best - https://www.arnaudsrestaurant.com Definitely try the gumbo and the Ponchatrain fish is outstanding.  Cap off dinner with Cafe Brulot!  Other classic restaurants include: Brennan's, Gallatoires, Acme Oyster House, Court of 2 Sisters.  Then try one of the newer restaurants. Right now I'm in love with J.W. Finn's.  I also love August. Make restaurant reservations - they are a must in NOLA - even for brunch at Brennan's.

Go down to Decatur street in front of St. Louis Cathedral and take a carriage ride around the French quarter so you will get the lay of the land.   The Mardi Gras Float museum is very interesting.  The zoo and aquarium are great.  There are some great cemetery tours and voodoo tours and haunted tours.  Spend at least one night checking out music along Bourbon St.  There are also some Plantation homes near New Orleans, and you can take a bus tour to see them.  The hotel concierge will help you.

SuiteTraveler---I need your expertise on New Orleans.  Would you feel safe as a single female walking around the business district and the French Quarter on your own during the day?  If so, what other areas would you recommend and areas to stay out of during the day?  I've never been there before but am considering spending about a week there prior to a cruise and just want to make a smart decision since I'll be on my own.  Thanks so much!

I'm not SuiteTraveler, obviously, but I have generally felt safe walking around both the FQ and the Central Business District (CBD) during the day. The area from the river to the Superdome in the CBD/Warehouse district is well populated during the day. I have walked around it a lot, including with a child, and never felt unsafe. Same with the area of the FQ south of Bourbon Street. As with any city, common sense applies. If you feel uncomfortable as you are walking, turn around and go a different way or change transportation options. I have done that before in plenty of place when something just didn't feel right to me. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 6:34 PM, canes20 said:

We are also going out of NOLA for the first time in September. We will be driving but looking for hotel with cruise and park package with round trip transportation. Any suggestions? Thanks and apologize for riding this post.

I have a section in here about park and cruise hotels.

https://saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I have a section in here about park and cruise hotels.

https://saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

I have been checking you blog and subscribed a while back. We ended up reserving at Prytania Park ($116) and going to park at Fulton Place ($75). Would you recommend a different hotel that would be better priced or better location?

24 minutes ago, canes20 said:

I have been checking you blog and subscribed a while back. We ended up reserving at Prytania Park ($116) and going to park at Fulton Place ($75). Would you recommend a different hotel that would be better priced or better location?

Oh that's right. Now I remember you. I think we talked about this in another thread. I don't remember what your dates are but I want to say $116 was a good price when I checked on it. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Oh that's right. Now I remember you. I think we talked about this in another thread. I don't remember what your dates are but I want to say $116 was a good price when I checked on it. 

WE are going to be staying Sept 27 to leave out Sept 28. You did say that was a good price, I just want to be staying at a good hotel since we do not know anything about New Orleans. We were looking at Comfort Inn and Suites in Metairie but it was a good distance away and only had transportation to the port and I think they said $186. How far is the Holiday Inn Superdome from the port? Are there 2 Holiday Inns close to the port? I hate to keep asking so many questions. Thanks

53 minutes ago, canes20 said:

WE are going to be staying Sept 27 to leave out Sept 28. You did say that was a good price, I just want to be staying at a good hotel since we do not know anything about New Orleans. We were looking at Comfort Inn and Suites in Metairie but it was a good distance away and only had transportation to the port and I think they said $186. How far is the Holiday Inn Superdome from the port? Are there 2 Holiday Inns close to the port? I hate to keep asking so many questions. Thanks

Check out the Marriott Courtyard on Iberville St in the French Quarter. That is where I’m staying in February for 3 nights prior to cruise. I think the rate I booked was around $200, but really can’t remember. 

1 hour ago, canes20 said:

I’ll give you some of the better options I see on Hotwire for your night. I’m pretty sure prytania Park doesn’t charge for parking and all of these hotels do so it’ll be an additional $30-40 depending on the hotel for that.

Warehouse District

$111 Marriott (143 after tax)

$115 Hyatt Place (150 after tax)

$117 Hampton Inn (150 after tax)

French Quarter/Mississippi River

Hilton Riverside -$99 (129 after tax)

Le Meridien -$111 (143 after tax)

Doubletree-$114 (147 after tax)

French Quarter/Bourbon Street

Astor Crown Plaza $132 (170 after tax)

Downtown/Superdome

Hyatt Regency $107 (139 after tax)

Le Pavillion $123 (158 after tax)

Holiday Inn Downtown $133 (171 after tax)

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ll give you some of the better options I see on Hotwire for your night. I’m pretty sure prytania Park doesn’t charge for parking and all of these hotels do so it’ll be an additional $30-40 depending on the hotel for that.

Warehouse District

$111 Marriott (143 after tax)

$115 Hyatt Place (150 after tax)

$117 Hampton Inn (150 after tax)

French Quarter/Mississippi River

Hilton Riverside -$99 (129 after tax)

Le Meridien -$111 (143 after tax)

Doubletree-$114 (147 after tax)

French Quarter/Bourbon Street

Astor Crown Plaza $132 (170 after tax)

Downtown/Superdome

Hyatt Regency $107 (139 after tax)

Le Pavillion $123 (158 after tax)

Holiday Inn Downtown $133 (171 after tax)

I appreciate all the info. I didn't realize the hotels charged to park. I didn't ask if Prytania charged but I don't think they do, like you said. Looks like they are the best option.

10 minutes ago, canes20 said:

I appreciate all the info. I didn't realize the hotels charged to park. I didn't ask if Prytania charged but I don't think they do, like you said. Looks like they are the best option.

I see the Prytania Park trip advisor page says they do not charge for parking.

Keep an eye on the Carnival page in about a month I’ll be doing a live review of the Carnival Glory including two days in New Orleans pre-cruise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I see the Prytania Park trip advisor page says they do not charge for parking.

Keep an eye on the Carnival page in about a month I’ll be doing a live review of the Carnival Glory including two days in New Orleans pre-cruise.

Saint Greg, I will be sure to follow! Can’t wait, as this will be my first time to NOLA. I am so excited! And my first time on the Glory. I know it’s smaller than the ships I’ve been sailing, but I know we will have a great time. 😎🛳🏖🌴🍸🍹🍷

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Saint Greg, I will be sure to follow! Can’t wait, as this will be my first time to NOLA. I am so excited! And my first time on the Glory. I know it’s smaller than the ships I’ve been sailing, but I know we will have a great time. 😎🛳🏖🌴🍸🍹🍷

Same here. My last four cruises have been bigger ships. But I haven't had a cruise I haven't enjoyed. I'm sure Glory will be fun.

there was a lot of road construction around the port in april 2019, anyone know when it will be completed? have another cruise out of N.O. march 2020.

cruise port traffic was very heavy, so be advised if cruising out of N.O. any time soon.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:50 PM, coldinkansas said:

We Stayed at the Prytania Park last time in NO. It is in the Garden district and we used the Street Car for transportation into the French Quarter. It was a great little hotel that really is New Orleans style, Breakfast in the courtyard and very quaint. We parked for the cruise at Fulton Place and have used them several time and will use them again when in New Orleans.

I love, love,love the Queen Anne, which is part of the Prytania family! I've stayed there before for the last 2 cruises! So nice and quiet!

• 2 weeks later...

We chose the Hilton Riverside.  Anyone have any reviews of this hotel?  Chose the cruise package so we could leave the car there for $13 a day.  Came with continental breakfast.  From what I’ve read, it’s attached to a mall and close enough to walk to port.  

9 hours ago, BiscayneBay460 said:

We chose the Hilton Riverside.  Anyone have any reviews of this hotel?  Chose the cruise package so we could leave the car there for $13 a day.  Came with continental breakfast.  From what I’ve read, it’s attached to a mall and close enough to walk to port.  

Sounds perfect! But one other thing I do, was check the bed bug registry. I did this before booking my hotel, as my daughter had a nightmare scenario returning from NOLA one year. A nightmare she doesn’t want to repeat, nor I to share. A lot of hotels in NOLA have had a bed bug problem. An ounce of prevention (research) prevents a pound of horror (bed bug infestation in your home) Not to say this is 100%, but I feel better knowing that my hotel has never had a reported problem. The key here, though, is “reported”. So fingers crossed for no disasters with this trip. 🤞

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BiscayneBay460 said:

I haven't stayed there but I haven't heard any bad reports either.   Your hotel is at one of the mall and the cruise port is at the other.    I believe you can enter that end of the mall directly from your hotel and then it wouldn't be a bad walk to get to the cruise port.   When you exit the far end of the mall all you would need to do is cross the rail tracks and you are at the port.  

Have a great cruise😎

We stayed there several years ago before a cruise and thought it was great. It is convenient and it was clean. My son (then 4) was up super early the day of the cruise, and we were able to walk through the event space onto a patio area next to the river and watch both the Carnival Dream and Norwegian Dawn dock. That was pretty cool in itself.

As for bed bugs, unfortunately, they can happen anywhere. I would just be vigilant when you arrive. Leave your bags in the entry way, keep the lights off, and use your cell phone flashlight to look as you pull back the corner of the bed sheet. Look for things moving or blood spots. If you find something, contact the front desk immediately. 99 out of 100 times (or so), you will be in the clear. Major hotel (well really all hotels that are worth anything) take this seriously. You are unlikely to have a problem.