Marina/Riviera reviews

ak1004

Hello all,

We sailed on the Riviera in September 2018 and enjoyed it very much. For us, it was almost perfect experience (except maybe for daily activities and entertainment which were a bit weaker than other areas).

However, lately there are some poor reviews on both Riviera and Marina. For example:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=647314

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=648350

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=646623

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=653934

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=653888

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=653013

So my question is: 

Is the consensus on this board that Oceania is going downhill? Have things changed dramatically since my cruise in September, or those are just few isolated and subjective reviews?

I realize that people are entitled to their opinions. I also realize that things can seem different for someone like me who came from Princess/Celebrity, as compared to someone who experienced Crystal/Regent etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

My friend and I were in the Marina in February, out of Tahiti, for 10 days. As a whole the trip itself had a lot of issues, particularly getting there and getting home, but the best part was being on the Marina. It was good for us. Food is so very subjective so I usually ignore most of those comments. We found it good in all 4 specialty restaurants and at La Reserve, and all of the other venues. We had a good bit of rain but that is not the cruise line's fault so we could not really use our balcony.

I noticed the comment in one review about the size of the bathroom. Both of these ships were built with a tub and separate walk in shower. Yes, the shower is small but I like having both. I find these bathrooms much better than even a lot of the suites I have been in across other lines.

The friend I travel with did a solo on the Riviera in November and she found it in great shape too. Riviera is also going into dry dock sometime before our cruise on her next February, sorry not sure if the exact date.

I will add we do not go to the entertainment so cannot comment on that part but I also know it will not be as "good" as the big lines. We do participate in a lot of the things like trivia, and the deck games.

We like you came from Celebrity and other big lines before coming over to Oceania and have found this to be our new home for the last 5 cruises. I think you will enjoy your trip. Julia

• Thanks 1

Expectations are a big part of the reviews.   Some folks come in expecting ultra luxury, and were told by someone else that it was the best ever....they now expect a 7 star luxury experience.   Sigh.   That’s why it’s so subjective, what I love, you may scoff at.  Some folks start off with a bad experience, and their entire cruise is downhill from there, as evidenced by more than one “bad” review listed.   Have we experienced some not so awesome food, yup....and we also had some of the worst food ever on Regent’s Mariner 1.5 yrs ago in Alaska....sub par food, experience and service, and at their prices, we won’t ever return...not to mention, we find Oceania folks so much more our type.   Soooo,  we haven’t found subpar anything as a trend on Marina or Riviera, but yea, we have seen some hiccups but we come to expect some missteps occasionally, it’s how they are corrected that makes us want to come back.   

• Thanks 1

We were on the Riviera in March for a Caribbean cruise ending in Havana.  We were in a PH2 and found it spotless and roomy.  The walk-in closet is a huge plus.  The bathroom bigger than other lines.  Since we were lucky enough to have perfect weather we made frequent use of the balcony.  Our butler provided outstanding service as did the cabin stewardess.

All four specialty restaurants provided some the finest meals we ever enjoyed.  The Terrace outdoors was our favorite spot for a leisurely lunch while at sea - nice service and always something good to pick from.  BTW the pizza is great!  Although the GDR provided seamless service and beautifully presented meals, we found the menu not nearly as interesting as the other four restaurants.  

There was a very enthusiastic group of singers and dancers who did a great job on the shows.  Maybe not as big a production as a mega ship but well done and entertaining.

We were on the Riviera several years ago and found it just as well maintained as back then.  Perhaps the only updating I would like to see is Martinis.  Not all of the seating is as comfortable as it could be.

Overall the entire cruise was a dream.  The ship is beautiful and we were treated like royalty.

We will always pick Oceania over any other line - and we’ve tried lots of them😄.

• Thanks 1

We've had 35 days on Marina in the last 12 months, including the crossing the NYC-Southampton crossing that disembarked on Friday. Last years Montreal-Southampton was pretty good with some minor issues all resolved, and our shorter cruise in November was spot on with a fantastic time had by all.  Sadly on the NYC-Southampton we encountered issue after issue - I won't elaborate further as Oceania shoreside are still dealing with our feedback, but I will post a full review if we don't get assurances that our feedback has been acted on.  There are certainly consistency issues on Marina at the moment, but I must give credit where it is due, with F&B and Housekeeping being as good as ever.  We had both been ardent Oceania cheerleaders up until now, but Crystal are looking increasingly appealing.

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I agree that it's all about expectations.

We upgraded to Oceania to escape from big ships crowds and lines, and to get a better service and food. Riviera exceeded our expectations.

Yes, the internet was slow - but no worse that most other lines (Regal Princess was the only exception). Yes the shower was small - minor inconvenience. Yes, the entertainment not as good as on Princess or Celebrity, but still very enjoyable, and you don't have to constantly fight for seats.

No line is perfect, but our Oceania cruise was so far the best out of 12 cruises we took (including Azamara and Cunard). I'm glad that most members here still consider it an excellent choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roccaforte said:

We were on the Riviera in March for a Caribbean cruise ending in Havana.  We were in a PH2 and found it spotless and roomy.  The walk-in closet is a huge plus.  The bathroom bigger than other lines.  Since we were lucky enough to have perfect weather we made frequent use of the balcony.  Our butler provided outstanding service as did the cabin stewardess.

All four specialty restaurants provided some the finest meals we ever enjoyed.  The Terrace outdoors was our favorite spot for a leisurely lunch while at sea - nice service and always something good to pick from.  BTW the pizza is great!  Although the GDR provided seamless service and beautifully presented meals, we found the menu not nearly as interesting as the other four restaurants.  

There was a very enthusiastic group of singers and dancers who did a great job on the shows.  Maybe not as big a production as a mega ship but well done and entertaining.

We were on the Riviera several years ago and found it just as well maintained as back then.  Perhaps the only updating I would like to see is Martinis.  Not all of the seating is as comfortable as it could be.

Overall the entire cruise was a dream.  The ship is beautiful and we were treated like royalty.

We will always pick Oceania over any other line - and we’ve tried lots of them😄.

You had me until you said the pizza is great. We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. IMO the worst food on Oceania except for maybe the Indian buffet night. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

You had me until you said the pizza is great. We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. IMO the worst food on Oceania except for maybe the Indian buffet night. 

It's not that bad - but not great compared to rest of the food (IMHO)..

On related note, we took an inside cabin last time, but thinking to upgrade next time, mostly due to small shower, and to get some extra space.

could someone describe the differences between inside, ocean view, and different veranda classes?

thanks!

Just now, ak1004 said:

could someone describe the differences between inside, ocean view, and different veranda classes?

thanks!

We have not done an inside on O  but  the A, B, C & D  cabins on the R ships are basically the same size  inside  

it is the location that differs

The  A & B  have a balcony  there are some that have a deeper  balcony  they are  forward or aft 

showers  are small in all those Cat

Just now, ak1004 said:

Thanks @LHT28

On the O class the Ocean View, are the cabins and the bathrooms the same as veranda cabins, and the only difference is the veranda? 

I have not been in a C cabin  but the A & B cabins are the same

There are some extended balcony cabins on deck 7  if you do not mind being overlooked 

The Ocean view have large floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lifeboats

Looking at the photos  the C cat looks just like the  A & B  cabins  ..maybe someone will comment  on the C Cat

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/deluxe-ocean-view-stateroom-311058/

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I have not been in a C cabin  but the A & B cabins are the same

There are some extended balcony cabins on deck 7  if you do not mind being overlooked 

The Ocean view have large floor to ceiling windows 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/deluxe-ocean-view-stateroom-311058/

Thank you!

We don't really use veranda, but Ocean view does look the same except for veranda. Could be a good compromise to get a bigger room and a bathtub, and still cheaper than veranda.

31 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you!

We don't really use veranda, but Ocean view does look the same except for veranda. Could be a good compromise to get a bigger room and a bathtub, and still cheaper than veranda.

We have sailed in C Oceanview a couple of times, basically when the weather/temperature is such that I would not use a veranda.  The cabin is exactly the same as the veranda cabins but has floor to ceiling windows (which do not open) where the sliding door to the veranda would be in the A and B cabins.

I also like the location of the C Oceanview, lower floor smack dab midship, great for queasy sailor me.  

Edited by CintiPam

15 hours ago, ORV said:

Completely agree.  Tried the pizza once last fall, took one bite.  Didn't help that the cruise previous to O was on the Silver Muse, and their Spacconapoli is the best pizza at sea (and better then most of the pizza on land too).

But pizza doesn't make a cruise, for the most part people make the cruise.  And for that we will take Marina over Muse any day.