New Aquafina menu debuts on Quest

postnobills

10 hours ago, ellbon said:

I give up! My Boston upbringing never served those dishes in N Boston. I can live without meat but I grew up making  red sauce for  everything 

It's not just Boston.  It's all cities in the US where people came from boats to Ellis Island.  Italian food in the US is authentic as it is in Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Naples, and Sicily where a good homemade sauce (they call it gravy) is important and so are linguini with clam sauce, great parmagiana, canolis, limoncello, and freshly baked breads.  It's as authentic as can can be with recipes brought over from the old country.  Aqualina is fine, but it's not that and mainly northern italian.  

21 hours ago, workingtocruise-59 said:

I had noticed that the waiters in Aqualina do tend to offer parmesan with seafood pasta. Possibly because that's what some people expect. They also offer mint jelly with any dish of lamb (regardless of the other flavours) because, I was told, that is what Americans expect.

This post has reminded me about that truly awful luminous green mint jelly offered with various types of lamb.  In the UK roast lamb should be served with Mint Sauce made from chopped mint leaves, vinegar (on the old days malt vinegar, now often white wine vinegar) a little sugar and a tiny splash of water.  Even the stuff in the jars is OK.  

Redcurrant sauce is also great, the great Delia Smith actually combines the two,  which may be heresy but very tasty.

5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

This post has reminded me about that truly awful luminous green mint jelly offered with various types of lamb.  In the UK roast lamb should be served with Mint Sauce made from chopped mint leaves, vinegar (on the old days malt vinegar, now often white wine vinegar) a little sugar and a tiny splash of water.  Even the stuff in the jars is OK.  

Redcurrant sauce is also great, the great Delia Smith actually combines the two,  which may be heresy but very tasty.

Nothing is has good had home made mint sauce made fresh with mint straight from the garden, a dying art these days I am afraid.

5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

The luminous mint jelly is pretty frightening!  Sometimes the laden spoon is hovering ominously over my plate before I can get the words “No, thank you” formed.

I adore Delia, but I don’t completely trust her for two reasons.  One is that she has a recipe that includes prunes in brownies, and that is just wrong!! 😁  They may be nice, but they are not actually brownies.  

The other was a speedy roast chicken recipe that involved copious amounts of olive oil and butter, a chicken, and an oven set to 230°.  It took a week to get the smoke smell out of the house, and we had to clean the oven.  So I’m not sure combining red currant and mint is going to get my vote.

19 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

It's not just Boston.  It's all cities in the US where people came from boats to Ellis Island.  Italian food in the US is authentic as it is in Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Naples, and Sicily where a good homemade sauce (they call it gravy) is important and so are linguini with clam sauce, great parmagiana, canolis, limoncello, and freshly baked breads.  It's as authentic as can can be with recipes brought over from the old country.  Aqualina is fine, but it's not that and mainly northern italian.  

I ate all the above. In Italy I do prefer clam sauce and great lemoncello.  

We used to live near a community in the UK with a lot of Italians, who arrived in the 1950s.  Their dialetto has moved on in the 60 or so years since they came over to help with the brickworks, and when they go back to visit their home communities, no one speaks quite the same any more, and the food is even slightly different as well.