New Aquafina menu debuts on Quest

postnobills

The sea bass was actually delicious and I’m looking forward to it again soon. It tasted better than Dover sole did in November- maybe a quality supply issue then. 

Ive already said here I approached the new menu with trepidation but loved it. 

OK maybe I’m inadequate but DH said the bolognaise was the best he had ever had. I tried it another night and I have to agree it was special. Of course all this depends on which chef is upstairs as well as the executive chef. 

Maybe Dover Sole was removed because of the time it tied the waiter up serving it. After all they have more tables with the same number of staff (not defending this just saying). Lobster Ravioli is also done in the kitchen. 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Lottie, how do you know people are continually asking?  It's only on pages here you are reading that.  I am sure that most people wouldn't even know and go with what's on offer. 

Overall having tried the new menu I prefer it to the old one. Tweaks will happen of course. They were trialled and rolled out across the fleet at different times. Hopefully Azamara will listen to their guests, but for the moment I am happy.  It's a nice menu. Variety. 

Phil 

I do not know if people are continually asking to go off menu but I do know that the restaurant staff are continually asking for opinions on the new menu.

If you say that you are missing something from before they will always offer to make it for you on your next visit.

You do not need to request it they will willingly make the offer, you have the option to say no thank you or accept.

Edited by Bloodaxe

27 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I do not know if people are continually asking to go off menu but I do know that the restaurant staff are continually asking for opinions on the new menu.

If you say that you are missing something from before they will always offer to make it for you on your next visit.

You do not need to request it they will willingly make the offer, you have the option to say no thank you or accept.

Five visits to Aqualina with the new menu and was never asked for opinions. I honestly can’t say about being offered anything else as I just order what’s on the menu.

Phil

On Journey we were asked our opinions several times so they were certainly checking up. 

Although there were several frequent cruisers on each leg I did not see anyone ordering off menu over two cruises. They didn’t actually offer us anything different probably because they saw we were enjoying working our way through the new menu 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Five visits to Aqualina with the new menu and was never asked for opinions. I honestly can’t say about being offered anything else as I just order what’s on the menu.

Phil

I was asked several times by senior people and given a questionnaire to complete.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

The Quest no longer serves branzino even though it is still on the menu.  The waiter told me that more passengers asked for sole and that if you want branzino, it will be available some nights in the main dining room.

Thanks - google was my friend here - branzino/seabass

I actually really enjoyed the seabass in Aqualina but will have no issue if it is back to Sole on Journey as well.  Is this a fleet wide decision I wonder?

26 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thanks - google was my friend here - branzino/seabass

I actually really enjoyed the seabass in Aqualina but will have no issue if it is back to Sole on Journey as well.  Is this a fleet wide decision I wonder?

I don't know much more than I posted when my wife asked for the sea bass.  I'm not sure if the menu referred to as branzino.  I actually prefer the Chilean Sea Bass to the branzino, but that's another discussion.  They told us that more passengers were asking for the Dover Sole, which is a better fish than the typical sole (grey sole) sold in markets in the US.  The Dover is sold in some restaurants.  Interesting, the Chef's Table (French) includes a choice of Branzino or filet of beef.  It's nice that they filet the Dover Sole right at the table, leaving less work to the passenger, which is always a fear of mine when ordering fish.  

13 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I don't know much more than I posted when my wife asked for the sea bass.  I'm not sure if the menu referred to as branzino.  I actually prefer the Chilean Sea Bass to the branzino, but that's another discussion.  They told us that more passengers were asking for the Dover Sole, which is a better fish than the typical sole (grey sole) sold in markets in the US.  The Dover is sold in some restaurants.  Interesting, the Chef's Table (French) includes a choice of Branzino or filet of beef.  It's nice that they filet the Dover Sole right at the table, leaving less work to the passenger, which is always a fear of mine when ordering fish.  

Love the Dover Sole.better than most ships. Tried the pasta..so ..so. Tried something called eggplant par. No way was it close to anything I would ever call eggplant parm if from Boston area or NYC. Told three people how bad it was. Needs to go. 

Edited by ellbon
  • Like 1

Funny how tastes differ - I love the eggplant so I hope it does not go!!  

My experience of the pasta has also been very positive on Journey and Quest, Pursuit Aqualina it was poor but as everything there  was poor on that cruise I will say that was a local issue from what I read has now been solved.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Funny how tastes differ - I love the eggplant so I hope it does not go!!  

My experience of the pasta has also been very positive on Journey and Quest, Pursuit Aqualina it was poor but as everything there  was poor on that cruise I will say that was a local issue from what I read has now been solved.

Ann, it had no sauce and a drop of cheese. Could not taste anything but the breading.i grew up with it lightky pan fried then put into,a glass dish baked with layers of sauce and cheese. Also was served with penne pasta ..again use to the long thin or thick noodle. 

I hd some great pasta but it was the one that was to be a red sauce with meat was yet again not enough sauce  and spicy like Asian not Italy. 

Had very good good fish and some old menu items. Plus  other special orders that were great. 

Chef Robert here now for five weeks. Updates in Prime C.

very happy you like the eggplant but I do not. 

Would be like bad fish and chips if I was in the UK.

Robin, nice meeting you tonight.  The Italian you get on Azamara is not the southern Italian you get in the North End of Boston, Federal Hill in Providence or Little Italy in NY.  It's more northern Italian and I agree that cruise lines don't do southern Italian (or Sicilian) justice.  A great eggplant or veal parm is pan fried with really good Italian bread crumbs in extra virgin olive oil until it's crispy and baked with a good amount of sauce and mozzarella.  There is nothing like a great Italian restaurant.  

I have a theory that Italian-American cuisine has been separate from Italian-Italian cuisine for long enough to become its own sub-genre.  It’s definitely worthy of appreciation and respect, but also definitely different from what one finds in the various regions of modern day Italy, even Sicily, Calabria and Puglia.

I’d say that Aqualina aims to provide Italian-Italian influenced dishes, and does a fair job on the whole.  If you’ve ever cruised with Celebrity and tried their Tuscan Grille, I’d describe that as Italian-American cuisine, and not especially well done, in my view.

5 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I have a theory that Italian-American cuisine has been separate from Italian-Italian cuisine for long enough to become its own sub-genre.  It’s definitely worthy of appreciation and respect, but also definitely different from what one finds in the various regions of modern day Italy, even Sicily, Calabria and Puglia.

I’d say that Aqualina aims to provide Italian-Italian influenced dishes, and does a fair job on the whole.  If you’ve ever cruised with Celebrity and tried their Tuscan Grille, I’d describe that as Italian-American cuisine, and not especially well done, in my view.

I think thats a very fair assessment.

I have not been in Tuscan Grill for three years but the experience at that time put me well off it for life!

Every cuisine has regional variations - Robin mentioned fish and chips something that would divide most Brits as to what the right taste, coating and accompaniments should be, never mind what fish to use!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, uktog said:

I have not been in Tuscan Grill for three years but the experience at that time put me well off it for life!

Every cuisine has regional variations - Robin mentioned fish and chips something that would divide most Brits as to what the right taste, coating and accompaniments should be, never mind what fish to use!

You’re absolutely right. In Hull and surrounds the fish has to be haddock, whereas in other areas it’s cod.

4 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

You’re absolutely right. In Hull and surrounds the fish has to be haddock, whereas in other areas it’s cod.

Haddock and cod are available in any decent fish and chip shop or restaurant in Yorkshire.

6 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Haddock and cod are available in any decent fish and chip shop or restaurant in Yorkshire.

You’re right, but in Hull & surrounds people prefer haddock, very little cod sold, whereas, for example, in Bradford (where I went to University), although both were sold, cod was the preference. In Hull we also have the ‘Pattie’. This is a ‘cake’ made of mashed potato with sage, dipped in batter & fried, and served nowhere else.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

You’re right, but in Hull & surrounds people prefer haddock, very little cod sold, whereas, for example, in Bradford (where I went to University), although both were sold, cod was the preference. In Hull we also have the ‘Pattie’. This is a ‘cake’ made of mashed potato with sage, dipped in batter & fried, and served nowhere else.

I must admit to a preference for Haddock myself, I will try a Pattie the next time we are in Hull.

Edited by Bloodaxe

5 hours ago, lisiamc said:

There is norther Italian and southern Italian.  There is no American Italian. We invented NOTHING when it comes to food.   Many Americans are of southern Italian descent and that's why, in the Northeast part of the US,  we view the red sauces as more traditional.  Of course, you also see this in Sorrento, Naples, and Sicily, but not in northern Italy.  

11 hours ago, uktog said:

I do not like the Tuscan Grill. It was the first restaurant on their S class ships I left.

as far as  Northern and Southern Italian..yes I grew up with red sauce.

Back to fish..I prefer cod but had both . I just can not get into the peas. But it is not fish and chip without very good malt  vinegar. .  Guess it makes a difference where you grew up

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

There is norther Italian and southern Italian.  There is no American Italian. We invented NOTHING when it comes to food.   Many Americans are of southern Italian descent and that's why, in the Northeast part of the US,  we view the red sauces as more traditional.  Of course, you also see this in Sorrento, Naples, and Sicily, but not in northern Italy.  

Maybe not inventing so much as taking a concept and running with it.  Lasagne is a great example.  I’ve never had lasagne in Italy that had much meat in it, and I’ve never had the cheese layer be ricotta or mascarpone.  It’s always been a bechamel sauce, because meat and cheese were often expensive items in the past, and people needed to make a little go al long way.  Italians in the USA were able to loosen the budget and put a feast of meats and cheeses into their lasagne.  

Then there are things like Chicken Alfredo, Chicken Parmigiana, Spaghetti and Meatballs, and Caesar Salad that Americans get credit for popularising if not actually inventing. (And there was the one, otherwise very nice American who said to me ”Italian food in Italy really isn’t very good, is it?”  I’m going to believe that he just meant it was very different to what he was used to. 😉)

Things I’ve heard Americans asking about Italian-Italian food which show that the cuisine has evolved a bit in the US:

Is there any garlic bread?

Can I have blue cheese dressing on my salad?

Could you bring some cheese for my seafood linguini?

Can I have a cappuccino after my dinner, please?

Why is there seafood in my marinara sauce?

I like both iterations of Italian food, but I do look at them as different cuisines.  That way, I know what to expect! 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

Maybe not inventing so much as taking a concept and running with it.  Lasagne is a great example.  I’ve never had lasagne in Italy that had much meat in it, and I’ve never had the cheese layer be ricotta or mascarpone.  It’s always been a bechamel sauce, because meat and cheese were often expensive items in the past, and people needed to make a little go al long way.  Italians in the USA were able to loosen the budget and put a feast of meats and cheeses into their lasagne.  

Then there are things like Chicken Alfredo, Chicken Parmigiana, Spaghetti and Meatballs, and Caesar Salad that Americans get credit for popularising if not actually inventing. (And there was the one, otherwise very nice American who said to me ”Italian food in Italy really isn’t very good, is it?”  I’m going to believe that he just meant it was very different to what he was used to. 😉)

Things I’ve heard Americans asking about Italian-Italian food which show that the cuisine has evolved a bit in the US:

Is there any garlic bread?

Can I have blue cheese dressing on my salad?

Could you bring some cheese for my seafood linguini?

Can I have a cappuccino after my dinner, please?

Why is there seafood in my marinara sauce?

I like both iterations of Italian food, but I do look at them as different cuisines.  That way, I know what to expect! 😊

I had noticed that the waiters in Aqualina do tend to offer parmesan with seafood pasta. Possibly because that's what some people expect. They also offer mint jelly with any dish of lamb (regardless of the other flavours) because, I was told, that is what Americans expect.