New Aquafina menu debuts on Quest

postnobills

New menu debuted last night on Quest. Dover sole is gone, but available on request for the time being. Chef Colin implied they may bring it back if there is enough demand. It’s replacement is a sea bass that is tasty but pre- plated and not as elegant. 

Chocolate hazelnut soufflé is way too sweet. 

8A48B97E-F813-44E1-A8ED-3266750DAC5C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Dover Sole was one of the most popular dishes so it’s absence surprises and disappoints me, sea bass will never be on a par with its more expensive sea mate. 

Appreciate it sounds like you can make a special request, our strict upbringing that reinforced being thankful for what was offered whatever it was means we would not and have never asked for something “special”. It can upset those around you and given the tables are so close now, you can’t avoid seeing what others have. 

Is there only one soufflé or do they offer the daily one as well?  

Recognise a menu refresh was needed, it’s hard when all DHs favourites have gone.  I know given his food allergy he can ask for adjustments but this needs pre planning and one of the joys of the old menu was he didn’t have to commit to what he was going to eat so far ahead.

Will be interesting to see how this shapes up in reality. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Dover Sole was one of the most popular dishes so it’s absence surprises and disappoints me, sea bass will never be on a par with its more expensive sea mate. 

Appreciate it sounds like you can make a special request, our strict upbringing that reinforced being thankful for what was offered whatever it was means we would not and have never asked for something “special”. It can upset those around you and given the tables are so close now, you can’t avoid seeing what others have. 

Is there only one soufflé or do they offer the daily one as well?  

Recognise a menu refresh was needed, it’s hard when all DHs favourites have gone.  I know given his food allergy he can ask for adjustments but this needs pre planning and one of the joys of the old menu was he didn’t have to commit to what he was going to eat so far ahead.

Will be interesting to see how this shapes up in reality. 

Asking for the Dover Sole as a special request will be good thing in this case, since they are looking to see if interest is strong enough to reinstate it.  The new menu looks nice, but I’ll be asking for the Dover Sole at least once, since I’m sorry to see it go.

I do agree that the Aqualina menu needed a refresh but to take the most popular fish off the menu is a mistake in my opinion. I do not like sea bass so I will be requesting Dover Sole at least twice on my May cruise and I will remember to leave feedback on my end of cruise survey. 

28 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Will the Dover Sole be there to be requested? 

More broadly, is there a working list of what requests are most likely to be met?

Thanks.

Exactly, it may only be available while stocks last, will they be restocking?.

It seems odd that an Italian restaurant would have Dover sole.  I would expect a branzino, at least at most Italian places I go to in Boston.  The sole would seem to be more of a steakhouse dish.  This menu looks pretty standard of any really good Italian restaurant.  I'm hoping the food is good.  

6 hours ago, Lottie A said:

I do agree that the Aqualina menu needed a refresh but to take the most popular fish off the menu is a mistake in my opinion. I do not like sea bass so I will be requesting Dover Sole at least twice on my May cruise and I will remember to leave feedback on my end of cruise survey. 

I do not like Sea Bass. I order Dover Sole once each cruise. I am on three cruises in the fall.  Guess I will be special ordering that and other food. I find when you special order fish and more much better than the menu choices on most cruise lines.

And what happens when everyone special orders?  This is why service gets affected and if they give such attention to the special orders the customers who have followed the line lose out!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, uktog said:

And what happens when everyone special orders?  This is why service gets affected and if they give such attention to the special orders the customers who have followed the line lose out!

I totally agree. I also read where people order off the Aqualina menu in Prime C and vice versa citing the kitchens are in the same place. They are, but the food prep areas, passes and responsibilities are kept separate and it does cause extra work and they don’t really like you doing it.  So if I’m eating in a restaurant then I’ll try to keep the special requests to a minimum.  I agree that if enough people ask for a dish that is no longer there then they’ll get the hint, but I would rather feed this back on the ship in writing.  The fennel and pea soup is gone.  That would be on my comments sheet.  Otherwise, I quite like the look of some of the pasta dishes.

Bonnie, any idea of when this comes to Pursuit?

Phil

OMG I have just re read the menu, its gone......as has the minestrone AND the lobster bisque, our staple go to soups.  Maybe the replacements will be nice though. we will have to see, though I am not usually a fan of fishermans broth.

Any idea when these are coming to Journey Bonnie - just wondering if we can sneak one more pea and fennel soup followed by Dover Sole night in if we buy a restaurant package

Edited by uktog

1 hour ago, uktog said:

OMG I have just re read the menu, its gone......as has the minestrone AND the lobster bisque, our staple go to soups.  Maybe the replacements will be nice though. we will have to see, though I am not usually a fan of fishermans broth.

Any idea when these are coming to Journey Bonnie - just wondering if we can sneak one more pea and fennel soup followed by Dover Sole night in if we buy a restaurant package

I think Journey was first to get the new menu, so it’s there already.

Phil

Honestly, this is becoming a rather stressful discussion for those dealing with multiple food allergies.

With increasing awareness of these concerns, there is a good reason why cruise lines have improved their game in this area. 

However those most affected do not want to be seen as violating the norms of good behaviour on board and lessening the dining experience for others in terms of service.

We will be in a Club Continent Suite in our upcoming cruise and that provides access to the specialty restaurants. The one other time we did this, we hardly used them because one of us sometimes needs to have the simple everyday dishes that are available in the MDR.

Is it fair to ask that dish to be brought to Prime C or Aqualina? Certainly a Head Waiter assured us that was no problem. Does that create a precedent for other diners? Does that interfere with service in the MDR? Are we offered that option only because we are known to the service staff.

My wife, who has the problem, has made every effort to “fly below the radar” while on board. Initially she was reluctant even to have the next day’s menu brought to her lest others thought that she considered herself “special”.

However it seems that these issues are more fraught than we thought, particularly when others might not know the circumstances.

To this point we have tried to take into consideration the advice from the staff and our own observations.

But we would also like to experience as much as possible what the ships have to offer. And, for me, the new menu at Aqualina would be part of that.

We too have the allergy issues and we know that when we sit at a table particularly in a Speciality that allowance has been made for the fact that a waiter might have to deviate to pick up something so I would not worry about this at all.  They know from the records who has allergies.

Our biggest learning curve is we knew the Aqualina menu inside out so knew exactly what DH could choose, what he could have if the adjusted garnishes and what as off limits.  Some quick new learning will be needed but thats a first world problem

I think you can always tell where alterations are being made for an allergy issue and where it is someone who is pushing the boundaries.

Edited by uktog

Many people have long been asking for menu changes to be made, now that has happened let's wait and see how it works out.

It's not the first time that changes have happened, I remember lobster bisque was removed once before and later reinstated.

They must already know which dishes have been the most ordered over time.

I wonder if that has that been taken into account or is it cost related.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

They have also removed the plain Lobster Tail on Spaghetti with red sauce.   It now includes miscellaneous seafood and a garlic sauce.   The lobster bisque and either the lobster pasta or the Dover Sole were our favorites.   One good thing is that they kept the sautéed scallops, my husband’s favorite appetizer.

Well. I do not agree with several posters. I do special orders all the time on several lines. All you hsve to do is give a days notice. Personally the soups that are gone I hated, Dover sole was my to go fish. At times a half order of pasta. I do not eat steak but prefer Prime C's decor. So you all can flame me but I will order spicy foods and my fish as often as I like this fall.  I learned thst most  of these boards will complain when one orders special food,. If I could get stir fry Asian and tofu in Prime C I would be thrilled. But I have to ask for it. 

What is the point of paying the high Azamara prices if you are locked in to a 'Carnival' style 'no-substitutions' regime?  I have always been told that Azamara aims to please and is happy to make substitutions at guests' requests, and DW and I have often asked – and always been accommodated.  That's why we pay for luxury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What is the point of paying the high Azamara prices if you are locked in to a 'Carnival' style 'no-substitutions' regime?  I have always been told that Azamara aims to please and is happy to make substitutions at guests' requests, and DW and I have often asked – and always been accommodated.  That's why we pay for luxury.

Whilst I would not ask to go off menu on a regular basis you do not always need to ask.

We once mentioned how much we missed a particularly dish, we were asked when we were coming again and told if the ingredients are available we will make it for you.

That was a offer we could not refuse, it was our best ever meal in Aqualina, great service..

4 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Whilst I would not ask to go off menu on a regular basis you do not always need to ask.

We once mentioned how much we missed a particularly dish, we were asked when we were coming again and told if the ingredients are available we will make it for you.

That was a offer we could not refuse, it was our best ever meal in Aqualina, great service..

Agree, being offered is a very different thing to expecting/demanding as some do. 🙂 

Another one who dislikes the fact that Dover sole has been "enhanced" to  bespoke special request only.

No doubt when stocks have disappeared then it will be lost forever.

How can Miami think that  preplated Sea bass is any substitute for watching a professional waiter debone a sole at your table.

This is part of the "Fine dining Experience" but another dumbing down of the Azamara Experience.

15 hours ago, nordski said:

Honestly, this is becoming a rather stressful discussion for those dealing with multiple food allergies.

With increasing awareness of these concerns, there is a good reason why cruise lines have improved their game in this area. 

However those most affected do not want to be seen as violating the norms of good behaviour on board and lessening the dining experience for others in terms of service.

We will be in a Club Continent Suite in our upcoming cruise and that provides access to the specialty restaurants. The one other time we did this, we hardly used them because one of us sometimes needs to have the simple everyday dishes that are available in the MDR.

Is it fair to ask that dish to be brought to Prime C or Aqualina? Certainly a Head Waiter assured us that was no problem. Does that create a precedent for other diners? Does that interfere with service in the MDR? Are we offered that option only because we are known to the service staff.

My wife, who has the problem, has made every effort to “fly below the radar” while on board. Initially she was reluctant even to have the next day’s menu brought to her lest others thought that she considered herself “special”.

However it seems that these issues are more fraught than we thought, particularly when others might not know the circumstances.

To this point we have tried to take into consideration the advice from the staff and our own observations.

But we would also like to experience as much as possible what the ships have to offer. And, for me, the new menu at Aqualina would be part of that.

nordski, I’m sorry if you took my post the wrong way and apologise if it came across that way.  There are exceptions and dietary requirements is of course one of them. I certainly would have no issues with special requests here at all and hopefully neither would anyone else.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Personally I think that when we are paying the now exorbitant Azamara prices we should be able to request an off menu item now and again but only if the ingredients are still readily available on the ship and I would always give at least 24 hours notice for the request. If it can't be done then that's fine by me. 

The wonderful Laze always asks me what night I would like my Goat's Cheese Soufflé, which is no longer a regular menu item, without any prompting from me. He knows I love it so much and he does it with a smile. This ability to please and personalise the service to passengers is what makes Azamara special. Other than the Goat's Cheese Soufflé I do always choose from the appropriate menu.