New Aquafina menu debuts on Quest

postnobills

My mother has a tiny appetite and at the end of a Quest cruise once she told the waiter taking our orders in Aqualina that she just couldn't eat another thing. All she would order was a cup of English Breakfast tea.

He then asked her was there "anything at all" she would like to eat for dinner? She said she could manage one boiled egg with "some soldiers" and that's exactly what he got for her! She very much enjoyed it and remembers the lovely waiter August fondly. 

That's what Azamara service is all about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lottie A said:

My mother has a tiny appetite and at the end of a Quest cruise once she told the waiter taking our orders in Aqualina that she just couldn't eat another thing. All she would order was a cup of English Breakfast tea.

He then asked her was there "anything at all" she would like to eat for dinner? She said she could manage one boiled egg with "some soldiers" and that's exactly what he got for her! She very much enjoyed it and remembers the lovely waiter August fondly. 

That's what Azamara service is all about. 

Great anecdote.  And I'll bet boiling and serving that egg didn't delay anyone else's dinner one minute.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I have also ordered just the appetizer.   We love the scallops in Aqualina!

Us too though we are going to miss the cauliflower puree

On 4/26/2019 at 9:57 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Bonnie, any idea of when this comes to Pursuit?

Phil

I received the following from our Corporate Executive Chef, so sounds to me like Dover Sole will be available for those that want it! And the roll-out dates are below...

Correct the Dover sole has been removed but is still available when guests ask for it. The menu will be implemented on the below dates,

PR 14th May

JR  11th May

Thank youRobert van Rijsbergen | Corporate Executive Chef

• Like 1

Newbie question: So from what I've seen, that's just one menu, how many different menu's are there, do they do two weeks worth, then repeat the same menu's again or is there a one week rotation?  EDIT:  Wait, I think I get it, that's a specialty restaurant menu not MDR! 

Edited by rmalbers

2 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Newbie question: So from what I've seen, that's just one menu, how many different menu's are there, do they do two weeks worth, then repeat the same menu's again or is there a one week rotation?  EDIT:  Wait, I think I get it, that's a specialty restaurant menu not MDR! 

That’s right - speciality restaurants have one menu, but also have additional chefs specials every day. 

Discoveries (MDR) has a menu that is different every day for 2 weeks. It also includes some dishes that are on every day - French Onion Soup, Escargots, Caesar Salad, Strip Loin Steak. In addition to the menu there are two daily specials - one related to the destination and one a chefs special. These are not on the menu, so you don’t know what they are until you sit down & the waiter tells you.

1 minute ago, rmalbers said:

Newbie question: So from what I've seen, that's just one menu, how many different menu's are there, do they do two weeks worth, then repeat the same menu's again or is there a one week rotation?

No this is the “set menu” for the Aqualina speciality restaurant. The main dining room. Discoveries has a daily changing menu. It includes three always available main dishes (strip steak,  chicken breast and salmon fillet). Prawn cocktail. Escargot and Onion soup are also always available as is creme brûlée’s,  cheesecake and the sorbet / ice cream selection 

I have it on good authority....senior Chef onboard....that Dover Sole will still be available to order in Aqualina with no problems. It just won't be on the standard menu. So really that means only CC people will know about this option. Cost cutting again? 

13 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

I have it on good authority....senior Chef onboard....that Dover Sole will still be available to order in Aqualina with no problems. It just won't be on the standard menu. So really that means only CC people will know about this option. Cost cutting again? 

Do I detect a bit of "cynicism"?  Why would/should this be classified as "cost cutting"?

If customers are missing something they had, and still get it by request, how is this a "take-away"?  If they never had the option, or are not interested in it, the "take away" doesn't exist.  If it is still available (upon request), where is the "Harm"?

Just my feelings on the matter, others have different feelings.

I view "Cruise Critic" as venue for sharing experiences/opinions, not a court of "good/bad".

NRayH

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray in NH said:

Do I detect a bit of "cynicism"?  Why would/should this be classified as "cost cutting"?

If customers are missing something they had, and still get it by request, how is this a "take-away"?  If they never had the option, or are not interested in it, the "take away" doesn't exist.  If it is still available (upon request), where is the "Harm"?

Just my feelings on the matter, others have different feelings.

I view "Cruise Critic" as venue for sharing experiences/opinions, not a court of "good/bad".

NRayH

NRayH I really don't know how you got a "court of good or bad"...whatever that is from my post. ☹️

The reason I shared the information that a senior Chef onboard said its fine to request Dover Sole is for clarity after some of the previous posts on this topic and because many guests won't even know they have the option to request the Dover Sole. It will not be on the menu. 

Only a small percentage of Azamara cruisers are CC members so would not have this information. The substituted Sea Bass (Branzino) is much less expensive than a good Dover Sole. 

And yes...given the apparent price rises, cost cutting and loss of LCV benefits on Azamara over the last few years there may be a slight element of cynicism in my view why the expensive Dover Sole has bean replaced with Sea Bass! Just like why the better Gerbert Bertrand wines, which used to be part of the included daily pour are now only available if you buy the alcohol packages. It's all down to revenue management. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

NRayH I really don't know how you got a "court of good or bad"...whatever that is from my post. ☹️

The reason I shared the information that a senior Chef onboard said its fine to request Dover Sole is for clarity after some of the previous posts on this topic and because many guests won't even know they have the option to request the Dover Sole. It will not be on the menu. 

Only a small percentage of Azamara cruisers are CC members so would not have this information. The substituted Sea Bass (Branzino) is much less expensive than a good Dover Sole. 

And yes...given the apparent price rises, cost cutting and loss of LCV benefits on Azamara over the last few years there may be a slight element of cynicism in my view why the expensive Dover Sole has bean replaced with Sea Bass! Just like why the better Gerbert Bertrand wines, which used to be part of the included daily pour are now only available if you buy the alcohol packages. It's all down to revenue management. 

I totally agree Lottie, despite the spin that Azamara have been putting on recent changes they all boil down to cost cutting and a reduction in the quality and value of the basic product.

Edited by Bloodaxe

This may have nothing to do with any cost savings plot as much as it does other factors.  

I love seafood, but stay away from it on most cruises because on most lines, it is previously frozen.  No previously frozen seafood ever can compare in taste to seafood fresh off the dock.  It's why I laugh at how people go crazy on lobster night on mass market cruises.  As a native New Englander, I stay away from any previously frozen lobster and even prefer a good lobster roll to boil or steamed lobster.  In any case, I know Azamara does serve some fresh seafood.  I'm guessing that they can get fresh sea bass at more ports (than they can get Dover Sole).  Also, if I were on a South American itinerary, I would guess they might even substitute a Chilean sea bass for the branzino.  We are on our first Azamara cruise this coming fall and I will surely always ask what if any of the seafood is fresh.  The fact that they "always have Dover Sole" on demand is not a good sign to me about the freshness of that fish.  Maybe if you're closer to where that fish is caught, you have a better chance.  If not, go local, whether it's grouper in Florida, clams from Ipswich, or black cod from the pacific, etc.  

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

The fact that they "always have Dover Sole" on demand is not a good sign to me about the freshness of that fish.  Maybe if you're closer to where that fish is caught, you have a better chance.  If not, go local, whether it's grouper in Florida, clams from Ipswich, or black cod from the pacific, etc.  

This.

More broadly, I don't see the benefit for cruise lines to start creating what is effectively a Secret Menu. Criuse lines, more than any other industry, gear your experience as to how much you are willing to pay. The last thing they need is more guests feeling like they missed out on a special treat because they weren't in-the-know.

• Like 2

And in Chilean waters last year the sea bass was frozen as confirmed by the young gentleman server when asked 

Edited by uktog

1 hour ago, uktog said:

And in Chilean waters last year the sea bass was frozen as confirmed by the young gentleman server when asked 

I was under the impression from reading Azamara's website that they try to source local fish and produce.   If they don't, well, I'll continue to stay away from the seafood, or at least ask.  If I'm going to pay any upcharge fee, it's not going to be for frozen fish.  

24 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I was under the impression from reading Azamara's website that they try to source local fish and produce.   If they don't, well, I'll continue to stay away from the seafood, or at least ask.  If I'm going to pay any upcharge fee, it's not going to be for frozen fish.  

They will occasionally have fresh fish but much more often it will be frozen.

I completely agree with you about the lobster on cruise ships and very rarely touch it.

Edited by Bloodaxe

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

They will occasionally have fresh fish but much more often it will be frozen.

I completely agree with you about the lobster on cruise ships and very rarely touch it.

Bloodaxe, thank you for the heads up on the fresh fish subject. I was hoping that going on a smaller ship, that there might be fresher foods and ingredients.   I suppose I'll just ask when the menu comes if they have any fresh seafood.  We have a few overnights on our cruise and will be in great food cities before and after our cruise, so I'll get plenty of opportunities to get good fresh local seafood.  As usual, I'll stick to meats, pastas, and poultry on the ship.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ok sometimes you get it wrong - and deep down to us the loss of Dover sole was a big mistake and no we will never order off menu. 

BUT 

We dined in Aqualina on Journey this week. We decided to approach it on the basis we had never been to Aqualina before but also we’d try only changed dishes. It was a huge success so we’ve booked again. Some of the dishes need their descriptions changing - like the Cornish Hen which has the (unmentioned) delicious duck confit worked through the pasta. The spaghetti bolognaise is so good I’m told and like nothing I’ve ever inflicted on DH I understand. 

The limoncello mousse dessert is a refreshing delight. 

So advice is forget you ever knew the old menu, go and stay on the new one   You hopefully won’t be disappointed. 

Next visit I will try and remember to take photos  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, uktog said:

Ok sometimes you get it wrong - and deep down to us the loss of Dover sole was a big mistake and no we will never order off menu. 

BUT 

We dined in Aqualina on Journey this week. We decided to approach it on the basis we had never been to Aqualina before but also we’d try only changed dishes. It was a huge success so we’ve booked again. Some of the dishes need their descriptions changing - like the Cornish Hen which has the (unmentioned) delicious duck confit worked through the pasta. The spaghetti bolognaise is so good I’m told and like nothing I’ve ever inflicted on DH I understand. 

The limoncello mousse dessert is a refreshing delight. 

So advice is forget you ever knew the old menu, go and stay on the new one   You hopefully won’t be disappointed. 

Next visit I will try and remember to take photos  

Thanks for this, uktog, great to hear and very reassuring.