matching up singles cruisers

dgreeney

Royal Caribbean matched passengers for shared occupancy back in the 80’s. One of my first cruises I shared a room with a senior from California who was traveling with a large group. Somehow the ship was oversold and I ended up with him on Royal Caribbean’s Song Of America in May 1984. They discontinued shared rooms over thirty years ago. I don’t know of any mainline cruise companies that still do it. I know NCL has one person studio cabins on the newer ships and there’s always the one passenger per cabin single supplement.

The studio cabins are great for one person. 

If you followed the early publicity about the Epic (prior to its completion), NCL first contemplated that the studios would be for young, hipster couples.  However, they changed the demographic to singles prior to the Epic's launch. 

in this day and age it is just a risk to let a company match you up.

Take a solo cabin and do you own thing and mix and mingle.

Heck I have friends I would not even travel with.  To travel solo can be wonderful and so do not hesitate just because you don't have a room mate.

9 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Studio cabins are on all the newer ships,( The Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and Bliss ) except The Joy.  They are very comfortable for one person and priced for one person.

Except for the Joy. No Studios just family and Conciere inside cabins.

I was just on the Bliss and I must second that the Studio setup is GREAT.  The individual room was just what is needed for a solo traveler, and the lounge was great.  With all the public spaces, the rooms are perfect.  The solo gathering is a great way to connect with other solo travelers.  Anyone else that I either showed my room to or that saw the Studio setup through the cabin crawl was really impressed.

If you're traveling alone, DEFINITELY look for a ship with those rooms, I never felt alone on the ship between that and the folks I met through the roll call here.

Back in the day NCL did this.  That was my first cruise in 1988, I booked a "share guarantee" for an inside cabin.  It was something I did at the last minute on a whim.  I ended up with a porthole cabin by myself :)  This was on the Southward.  NCL arranged for all of the singles to share a table at dinner.  We had a table of 10 of us who were all single, 4 women and 6 guys.  We had a great time :)