Ovation May 13 and rest of Alaska - Northstar

So I was lucky to reserve Northstar for both of my Anthem cruises as well as on the first one, the ship was doing both sides. Was wonderful while it lasted. And that trip was 9 days so plenty of time for all to get on.

I understand Northstar is different for Ovation but any one having lucky making reservations for Alaska trips??  Anyone with any information?  Or is is a secret that RCI will let us in on when we board.

Do they really want long lines queing up to get on it?  I am hoping over 11 days it won't be an issues.  But still I would like to get on it.

Wondering why no reservation allowed yet on line.?

On 4/24/2019 at 4:03 AM, xpcdoojk said:

The North Star is handled on the Ovation exactly like the Bumper Cars.  IE show up when it is open and stand in line.  I haven’t done either, but looked at both lines and did something else.  That would be when Star class would be nice.  I am dissappointed that neither is offered with the key.  It does look like gettin off in Tahiti with the Key will be nice if you need off early.  Will let you know when we get to Bora Bora.

Biker is probably 100% accurate on the flowrider rules.  I got into a discussion with one of the managers, a couple of days ago, when he got onto somebody at the front of the line for not holding the stupid plastic flowboard shaped signs that points out the dangers and rules of the flowrider.  He showed up again the next day, and I again whined.  I told him it is the dumbest thing I have ever seen, and I have never seen it on other ships.  Jasper (who sails more in a year than I do in a lifetime corrected me and said they had the dumb things on other ships.). Anyway there were none in the line today. 

They cancelled the 9AM advanced due to weather it is windy and rough, but it has been exactly same windy and rough everyday. So, we were told we could book Ifly again after day 7 or 8.  Ifly was closed all day.  We went back to book it and they said not until we leave Tahiti which tomorrow is the first of 3 days.  Today was day 8.  Stupid.  Anyway, I hear rock music blasting from the flowrider sound system to walk up at about 10:30AM and see a line of 25 people.  GRRR.....  so off to the cabin to gear up.  Got back about 15 minutes later and was able to do 2 runs in the remaining 2+ hours.  It was 79 today.  This is the future.  Tomorrow Papeete.  Advanced session from 9-11.  I will do that session, then we will wander around the port of Papeete.

Yesterday the key session had 7 people 3 of which had never appeared before.  I truly don’t get it.  

Yesterday, was the day Bob (aka CruisinBob in this forum) and the two ladies finally agreed upon for our hour.  It didn’t start until 20 minutes after the key and after 6 hours and the falling temps I bailed after about the 4th run with about 15 minutes left.  I was exhausted after 6 hours standing in line.  Not to mention we had Chops at 6:30PM and I needed drinks in the DL prior....🏄‍♂️

JC

44 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That should not be an issue- you will be able to book on board - use the Royal iQ app. 

Most times I’ve been on ovation the Royal IQ app is crashed 

Go to the operator and ask if you can make a booking.

i don't do apps.

I will just go standby.  Too bad the Ovation was handled differently than Anthem.  Well even the early Anthem cruises got a different experience on Northstar as well.  I am so glad I got to go way over the side.

I complained to RCI to stop advertising the Northstar as way over the side.  Very misleading and when they stopped doing it, many folks were angry.  oh well  

Looking forward to Vancouver - Seattle unique cruise.

• Like 1

We are also on this cruise.  We are really looking forward to it, but are very disappointed that we have been unable to book NorthStar in advance. Maybe it is because it is weather dependent and they don't want to deal with the outbursts of people who are cancelled due to weather?

well on the Anthem by the 8 day the lines were empty or short.

Some of us asked if they could take Northstar over the side and they said that folks would then complain and they also had to ask the Captain for permission. 

The idea of "no one in line" doesn't matter.  I think and feel more and more I am hearing the words "No we can't do this or that" more often on ships.  Being afraid of complaints seems to get in the way of how things are handled. 

Glad I did Anthem in Spring of 2016.

I don't understand why taking Northstar up and sitting still for 4 minutes is better than after 2 minutes going over to the side for 1 minute or so.  I am thinking the cost of energy to swing it over the side is the real reason. and not time.  In any case it is just an excuse.  And some folks don't want to go up in Northstar.  oh well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Maiseysmom said:

I am booked for Aug 2.  Cruise planner won't let me book any shows activities or make any reservations. 

At this moment you can only reserve Pixels

North Star opened for reservations last week but they are gone now.

I am on June 28th sailing. Northstar opened up for one day on May 25th and was gone that day. I fly opened up May 28th  for about 12 hours and then was gone. I always have had success using Royal App and making reservation as you are boarding for items not available on the cruise planner. Just need to make sure you arrive early. 

• 4 weeks later...

For NorthStar there are reserved and non-reserved times.  For a reservation, as soon as you get onboard (go early if you can) go to an iPad Kiosk. We used the ones on Deck 5.  Endicott Arms and Dawes glacier is the best day, weather permitting. Try and get an early reservation - between 07:30 and 08:30.  While at sea, the NorthStar is up and down only (great for a few minutes of whale watching). In port it does move left and right.  If the wind speed is over 45 knots they will close it. Non-reserve times are posted in the Compass.  Just show up and wait in the line.

We were on the May 13,  11 day Ovation cruise. They say "you can only go once during your cruise on NorthStar". We went on it almost every day. The NorthStar Bar is right next to the boarding point. The bar is outside with great views. Keep your eye on the boarding process, if they don't have a full load, they will take walk ups. Of course, this works better on port days or at off times on board.

Rick and Deirdra

North Star 3.JPG

mre North Star.jpg

North Star.JPG