Can anyone tell me about a Neptune "ottoman bed"?

UM-Fan

We will be traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam in a Neptune suite with our two college age children in several weeks.  The kids have made in clear in no uncertain terms they do not want to share the pull out sofa bed.  I called the Mariner Society to ask what our options were and was told that the ottoman in the suite folds out into a single bed.  I have not been able to locate or find any information or pictures of this.  Does anyone have experience with this type of bed?  Is it comfortable?  I was first told that that all Neptune suites had a Murphy bed and when I questioned that answer that I have never saw that before, they came back with this ottoman bed option instead.  I am hoping that I didn't get bad information once again!

Edited by UM-Fan

I haven't been on the NA, but I have been in a Neptune on several other ships, and I can't recall ever having an ottoman of any kind. I know that there is such a thing as an ottoman that folds out into a single, so perhaps HAL has some that they will put into a Neptune Suite to be an extra bed. (I've never seen a Murphy bed in a Neptune suite, either)

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I haven't been on the NA, but I have been in a Neptune on several other ships, and I can't recall ever having an ottoman of any kind. I know that there is such a thing as an ottoman that folds out into a single, so perhaps HAL has some that they will put into a Neptune Suite to be an extra bed. (I've never seen a Murphy bed in a Neptune suite, either)

Murphy bed?  Does make you wonder about the HAL telephone reps.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The odd part is, since I have started researching this, in all of the recent pictures of the NA Neptune suite, I do not see any ottomans in the suites at all. They also indicated that a roll a way bed was not an option.

Edited by UM-Fan

33 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam have Murphy beds in Signature Suites. Nieuw A does not have them.

See pics at http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/7105-koningsdam/

Signature Suite

Approximately 393-400 sq. ft. including verandah

These large, comfortable suites feature a spacious sitting area with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking a private verandah, two lower beds convertible to one king-size bed—our signature Mariner's Dream™ bed with plush Euro-Top mattresses, and one murphy bed for one person. The bathroom includes a dual-sink vanity and shower. 

Edited by catl331

22 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

When I got that answer, I questioned him further and asked if just certain Neptune suites had Murphy beds and he confidentiality stated they all did!  When I said that I have never seen that, is when he told me about this ottoman bed.  I am feeling like I got really bad information from that call.

Edited by UM-Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UM-Fan said:

When I got that answer, I questioned him further and asked if just certain Neptune suites had Murphy beds and he confidentiality stated they all did!  When I said that I have never seen that, is when he told me about this ottoman bed.  I am feeling like I got really bad information from that call.

I think you are correct. We have been in NSs on a few ships and never seen an ottoman bed or a murphy bed, just the double sofa bed. I think this is a good example of a rep making up nonsense and passing it as fact.

Maybe you could bring a twin air mattress with a built in pump and have the kids flip a coin. Space might be a bit tight though. 

I shared a Neptune suite on Oosterdam, with 3 women friends, and we didn't want to have to have 2 of us sharing the sofa-pull-out double bed, so our steward set up a single rollaway bed for us every night and I slept on that! So we had the king sized bed split into two singles, the pull-out couch bed, and the rollaway - so everyone had their own bed. Worked out great. I've been in a Neptune suite on NA, and I'm quite sure our cabin did not have an ottoman.  On that cruise I had the king size bed (the two together) and my daughter had the double pull-out bed because we both wanted more room 🙂

Edited by Moriah

Have you considered booking an inside for your two children?  I think I would.  They'd have their own beds, bathroom, shower, changing space, but could be with you in the large suite and verandah most of the day time, retreat when needed.  My guess is that with the timing down to "several weeks" pricing will drop for the insides as they are always/usually the last rooms to go. 

m--

10 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Have you considered booking an inside for your two children? 

However, if the kids are under 21, they can't be booked into the other cabin without one of the parents.  If one of them is 21 or older, it would work.  Of course, sometimes a family doesn't want to pay for two cabins and has splurged on the Neptune, where it will only work if they all pile in, and it really can work.  Your cabin steward will see to an extra bed for one of your kids, I feel sure.  Another possibility would be letting the kids each have 1/2 of the regular bed (the two single beds that make up the king size can be divided and the nightstand put in between) The the parents would share the queen sized pull out couch bed.  i think this would probably be the best bet for you if for some reason an extra rollaway can't be brought in. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

I think you are correct. We have been in NSs on a few ships and never seen an ottoman bed or a murphy bed, just the double sofa bed. I think this is a good example of a rep making up nonsense and passing it as fact.

I agree with this.  The more I think about it the more I'm positive that no Neptune suite on any ship has a murphy bed.  I really think your best bed is letting the  kids have the two regular beds, and the parents taking the pull-out couch bed. It's a queen size, and on the NA really pretty comfortable. 

2 minutes ago, Moriah said:

However, if the kids are under 21, they can't be booked into the other cabin without one of the parents.  If one of them is 21 or older, it would work.  Of course, sometimes a family doesn't want to pay for two cabins and has splurged on the Neptune, where it will only work if they all pile in, and it really can work.  Your cabin steward will see to an extra bed for one of your kids, I feel sure.  Another possibility would be letting the kids each have 1/2 of the regular bed (the two single beds that make up the king size can be divided and the nightstand put in between) The the parents would share the queen sized pull out couch bed.  i think this would probably be the best bet for you if for some reason an extra rollaway can't be brought in. 

HAL allowed us to book a nearby inside (across the hall) for our then to be 18 yo son without one of us in the cabin. 

From the cruise contract: For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. 

25 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Have you considered booking an inside for your two children?  I think I would.  They'd have their own beds, bathroom, shower, changing space, but could be with you in the large suite and verandah most of the day time, retreat when needed.  My guess is that with the timing down to "several weeks" pricing will drop for the insides as they are always/usually the last rooms to go. 

m--

But then the kids can't use the lounge or Pinnacle breakfast.

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have stayed in Neptune suites on all ships.  No Murphy bed or ottoman beds in them.

Once the queen size sofa bed is opened up, there is not not a lot of room left to have an air mattress on the floor.

I was confident that I have never seen a Murphy bed in a Neptune, but wasn't confident on if I have seen an ottoman in the room. So I didn't challenge that answer.  

2 hours ago, Moriah said:

I shared a Neptune suite on Oosterdam, with 3 women friends, and we didn't want to have to have 2 of us sharing the sofa-pull-out double bed, so our steward set up a single rollaway bed for us every night and I slept on that! So we had the king sized bed split into two singles, the pull-out couch bed, and the rollaway - so everyone had their own bed. Worked out great. I've been in a Neptune suite on NA, and I'm quite sure our cabin did not have an ottoman.  On that cruise I had the king size bed (the two together) and my daughter had the double pull-out bed because we both wanted more room 🙂

I had asked for a rollaway and was told that no ship has them available.  They told me it was a hazard for one to be in the room.

59 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

m--

Because of the age requirement, I didn't think it would work.  And we like to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle and that couldn't happen if they were in a separate room. 

45 minutes ago, Moriah said:

I agree with this.  The more I think about it the more I'm positive that no Neptune suite on any ship has a murphy bed.  I really think your best bed is letting the  kids have the two regular beds, and the parents taking the pull-out couch bed. It's a queen size, and on the NA really pretty comfortable. 

I think mom and dad on the pull out sofa bed is about our only option, and the kids on the split regular bed.  Since he told me a rollaway was not an option, I still think I will ask once on ship and see if that can happen.

• Like 1

We sailed on the NA two years ago in a Pinnacle Suite. The sofa did not convert into a bed and instead there was an extra bed that was unusual in that it popped out of the lower half of the tv cabinetry in the living room area kind of like a Murphy bed so I'm thinking maybe the rep you spoke to may be confused and thinking of that room type instead. The room steward was able to get us a roll away in addition each night. I hope the kids appreciate what awesome and generous parents you are to be taking them on a fabulous vacation in a fancy suite and don't complain about having to share the sofa bed if the steward can't get them a rollaway. I assume it wouldn't be cheaper to get them an inside cabin nearby because you probably got a great deal on the third and fourth in the cabin? In order to make sharing the one bathroom easier consider getting a couples spa pass for the week so that mom and dad can relax and shower there some nights before dinner while the kids shower in the cabin; the spa and hydrotherapy pool was especially nice on the NA compared to other ships we've been on and if I recall correctly the relaxation room had huge windows where we could enjoy beautiful views of Alaska. I hope you have an amazing cruise! 

13 hours ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

We sailed on the NA two years ago in a Pinnacle Suite. The sofa did not convert into a bed and instead there was an extra bed that was unusual in that it popped out of the lower half of the tv cabinetry in the living room area kind of like a Murphy bed so I'm thinking maybe the rep you spoke to may be confused and thinking of that room type instead. 

That would fit the description of a Murphy bed.  An ottamon does not.  "A Murphy bed, also called a wall bed, pull down bed, or fold-down bed, is a bed that is hinged at one end to store vertically against the wall, or inside a closet or cabinet. Wikipedia"

11 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

The spa showers are available without a spa pass, always a help for those doing quad accommodations.  m--

I've used them before after spaing and they are very nice. Good suggestion. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

The spa showers are available without a spa pass, always a help for those doing quad accommodations.  m--

Great suggestion. Thanks!

21 hours ago, UM-Fan said:

I had asked for a rollaway and was told that no ship has them available.  They told me it was a hazard for one to be in the room.

When we did it, it was 2005 on the Oosterdam.  I guess they have changed their policy.  I was the one on the roll-away so it's a clear memory for me :) I'm not sure what would make it a hazard.. but oh well.  When they say 4 is the limit on occupancy of a suite, I guess they are assuming the pullout bed will be shared.