Straws provided on Liberty of the Seas

Last year we went on a Norwegian Cruise Line ship.  They did not provide straws in cocktails.  They would allow paper only to help the environment.  I've never had to bring straws on RCCL ships before but wondering if this is a recent environmental change across the cruise lines now.  Can someone tell me if Liberty of the Seas provides straws for the cocktails or if you need to bring your own now?  Thank you in advance.

Freedom had paper straws, I only used them for frozen drinks....they worked. I had brought my own stainless steel ones but didn't break them out as I didn't want to deal with them and the soggy straws weren't that big of a deal. Many of the cocktails I said "no" to the straws.

They had paper straws on Jewel last month.  They got really soggy in my bloody mary.  The fact that they think switching to paper straws will save the environment, it's nothing more than a bunch of gobbledygook.

16 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

That is what I did on our last cruise

I can’t stand those flimsy paper straws. I’m really surprised that it appears nobody makes straws from that corn based plastic-type material. They can manufacture cups, bowls, plates, and lids from it, but nobody thought to make drinking straws?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SamTimeDining said:

I'm neutral, I was just asking if there was a source to the statement of it was a personal opinion. Relax.

You never know these days...😜

It’s all a matter of personal opinion either way. 

Edited by A2Mich
  • Like 1

I used the paper straws in my virgin daiquiris and margaritas with no problem.  The drink was gone way before the straw was too mushy to use, even on the pool deck where my daiquiri melted during my unintentional nap (I was still able to use the straw to suck up the now-totally-liquid-no-ice-left drink). 

It should be noted, though, that I do NOT bite down on my straws with my teeth or pinch them with my fingers.  A lot of people do this out of habit, kinda like clicking a pen or twirling your hair, and I think those are the people who have trouble with the straws disintegrating before the drink is gone.  

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

They had paper straws on Jewel last month.  They got really soggy in my bloody mary.  The fact that they think switching to paper straws will save the environment, it's nothing more than a bunch of gobbledygook.

If by save the environment you mean "using cheaper straws to help their bottom line" then I assure you it's what they think. 

4 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

If by save the environment you mean "using cheaper straws to help their bottom line" then I assure you it's what they think. 

According to CNBC, paper straws are generally 5 times more expensive than plastic ones. So instead of spending a few seconds on a Google search, you just type whatever you feel like and pass it off as a fact that it's Royal trying to be cheap when actually the exact opposite is true? SMH

On Liberty in March and got paper straws whenever they were appropriate to the drink we were having. Also, wooden stirrers, not plastic.  Really, didn’t have an issue, but I was around before there were plastic straws!  

41 minutes ago, fdthird said:

On Liberty in March and got paper straws whenever they were appropriate to the drink we were having. Also, wooden stirrers, not plastic.  Really, didn’t have an issue, but I was around before there were plastic straws!  

Many of us were around before plastic straws. The paper straws sucked then, and they still suck now.

7 minutes ago, QueenofKrakatoa said:

Image result for plastic straws and turtles

Understood.  Maybe municipalities need to upgrade/update their recycling and plastic separation processes....all of our trash here is sorted and separated by the refuse companies.  We can’t simply outlaw or ban every single thing that is potentially harmful in life...it simply isn’t practical.  Sadly, there are irresponsible people that don’t care and litter, yet as usual, the suggestion is to punish everyone over the mistakes of a few.

2 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

the suggestion is to punish everyone over the mistakes of a few.

Is it *really* a punishment to use a paper straw? I don't like them, but I understand the need and tolerate them, doesn't sway my vacation.

Edited by SamTimeDining

Just now, SamTimeDining said:

Is it *really* a punishment to use a paper straw? I don't like them, but I understand the need and tolerate them, doesn't effect my vacation.

Well, I simply won’t use those crappy straws.  I will, however, bring my own, and dispose of them properly.

Is it *really* a punishment over straws?  Not really, but where do we draw the line?