IS ONE HOUR CONNECTING FLIGHT AT HEATHROW ENOUGH??

garda

I wasn't trying to be foolish:classic_blink:...…..so I changed to the 3 hour connection.

Quote:

"Doing a one hour AA/BA connection at LHR is foolish enough (or even a BA/BA connection),"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dabear said:

FYI, back in 2015 we flew UA to London and 1 hour connection onto Turkish Airlines. we were in business class and were 1st ones off the UA plane to make the connection. we had to still go through security again.  When they were slow going through our carryons  & we told them we would miss our connections, security was even slower. I ran to the next gate & held the door open until dw could catch up. we now try to avoid Heathrow as much as possible if we need connecting flights! Glad you changed your connecting flight to 3 hours.

Why on earth did you think that a 1 hour connection was viable? And telling security to hurry up going through your luggage - Ha! No wonder they went slower.  Having said that,  you made your connection - in most other airports you wouldn't have had a chance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Why on earth did you think that a 1 hour connection was viable? And telling security to hurry up going through your luggage - Ha! No wonder they went slower.  Having said that,  you made your connection - in most other airports you wouldn't have had a chance.  

Actually in most domestic airports you could make 1 hour connections. we've done it numerous times. In some foreign airports it's far more difficult due to lack of familiarity and possible having to go through security again before the connecting flight. 

28 minutes ago, dabear said:

Actually in most domestic airports you could make 1 hour connections. we've done it numerous times. In some foreign airports it's far more difficult due to lack of familiarity and possible having to go through security again before the connecting flight. 

Hi stranger:classic_biggrin:.....I have a domestic flight (part of it anyway) in August and have an hour connection.

We flew LHR-DOH-SIN last year with a 55min connection.We were a bit concerned so we paid £200 for the earlier flight from LHR.When we landed,the 2 gates were only 200 yards apart,lol.The worst part was being stuck at the, IMO, the most boring airport in the world for several hours.One vast space with nothing in it.

Edited by brian1

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

I wasn't trying to be foolish:classic_blink:...…..so I changed to the 3 hour connection.

Quote:

"Doing a one hour AA/BA connection at LHR is foolish enough (or even a BA/BA connection),"

My statement wasn't directed at you. My statement was directed at the person who did the LHR UA/TK one hour connection...and my point was that I wouldn't do a one hour international-to-international connection at LHR between two airlines that work fairly well together, at a home base for one (BA) and largest international operation for other (AA), let alone two airlines that don't play quite as friendly together in what is an outstation for both (UA and TK).

9 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

... and my point was that I wouldn't do a one hour international-to-international connection at LHR between two airlines that work fairly well together, at a home base for one (BA) and largest international operation for other (AA), let alone two airlines that don't play quite as friendly together in what is an outstation for both (UA and TK).

As far as I can see, the UA --> TK MCT at LHR is now 105 minutes anyway.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:34 PM, dabear said:

When they were slow going through our carryons  & we told them we would miss our connections, security was even slower.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:48 PM, wowzz said:

And telling security to hurry up going through your luggage - Ha! No wonder they went slower. 

It certainly wouldn't be a surprise. If you had contraband that you wanted to get past security, prompting security to hurry up and therefore probably do a less good job could be a tactic. So security might have good reason to be much more thorough.

We understand, but after security going through our carryon luggage completely & then sort of taking a break while we were just standing around waiting to move on, what would you do as time for the connecting flight was winding down.

FYI, this fall we're flying SIN-HK -ORD with only a 65 minute connection in HK. Fortunately it's on the same airline in the same terminal and was the recommended connection by Cathay Pacific. Barring unusual circumstances since we're flying eastward, we'll probably land early and make the connection easily.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:23 AM, dabear said:

We understand, but after security going through our carryon luggage completely & then sort of taking a break while we were just standing around waiting to move on, what would you do as time for the connecting flight was winding down.

FYI, this fall we're flying SIN-HK -ORD with only a 65 minute connection in HK. Fortunately it's on the same airline in the same terminal and was the recommended connection by Cathay Pacific. Barring unusual circumstances since we're flying eastward, we'll probably land early and make the connection easily.

65 minute transfers in HKG on Cathay Pacific are a cake walk. I tend to schedule longer because (a) I like the Cathay lounges, and (b) HKG is a fantastic spot to plane watch....but I've done plenty of 60-75 minute connections at HKG on Cathay Pacific and it's about as easy as they come.

Edited by Zach1213

Zach1213;  Thanks, glad to hear easy connection. I had some reservation but now feel much better. I'm sorry that I will miss their HK lounge as it looks very nice.

You'll probably have time for the lounge, they have quite a few of them scattered about and the US flights often go from the gates 1-4, right under The Wing.

My favourite is The Pier but it's a bit of a hike, you can only take the train one way and will then have to walk back. If you keep a decent pace up it's about a ten minute walk down a long line of moving walkways.