Princess World Cruise questions

OttawaJohn

We are giving serious thought to a world cruise, or segments from it, in the future.  Knowing things can change obviously in 10 years, so looking for how it is now just to give reference.

1-If you do a 45 day cruise, do you use the laundry aboard or bring enough clothes?

2-Is there sufficent variety in the dining options?  Are you having the same menu in the MDR repeating every 6 days?  What about the Buffet?

3-Does the entertainment vary enough? Would it be the same band or performer for 19 days or they swap out at ports?

Thanks in advance and any comments you feel would help us make up a mind as well, please don't hesitate to add.

1. I think you would probably want to either do the laundry yourself or send it out. Bringing a 45 day supply would be a lot of effort. Also, if you are Elite in the Princess Captain's Circle, you get free laundry.

2. Menus are not repeated on a segment. However, some of the items are repeated. 

3. Entertainment will change with performers getting on and off in the ports.

I can't imagine packing 45 days worth of clothing for two people. Heck, we don't even own 45 days worth of clothing! :classic_blink:

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

There's a World Cruise Forum that might answer more of your questions.

Another thought...join the current roll call for the next world cruise (it's up and running). Many of your questions will be answered one way or another.

As a small point of interest, we were on a WC segment 2 years ago and ate lunch with a woman who was taking her FIRST cruise (the whole WC) and had packed ONE suitcase! I always wondered how she made out.

32 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I can't imagine packing 45 days worth of clothing for two people. Heck, we don't even own 45 days worth of clothing! :classic_blink:

Same...I do not own more than two weeks worth of clothing without needing to do laundry.  Probably less! 

Just disembarked the Pacific Princess last Saturday, finishing 111 days and the 2019 WC

Bring 7 to 14 days of clothes and use the ship’s self service laundry or have the ship laundry clean your clothes.   Most WC voyages will visit lots of hot and sweaty locations, so you will likely change clothes upon return from shore

The Pacific 2019 voyage brought aboard a special entertainment team designed to bring more variety aboard.  We did not get the typical PCL shows.  Motor City for example was never performed. Also, the non production show talent  changed several times during the cruise.  Usually at Segment start/end Ports. 

MDR food does get boring.  After 111 days even the PCL steak and chicken begins to taste alike.   However, the Pacific team does try .....the occasional Sunday  special brunch is over the top. Menu items do repeat on some segments, for example, Sydney to Cape Town is a LOT (40 days)  of dinners.  

Edited by tcdcruiser

we set up a thread under Island Princess called world cruise 2021. come join us. you will enjoy everything since this is a bigger ship with so many more dining and entertainment options. bring normal amount of clothes. do your laundry or have the ship do it.

11 hours ago, paul929207 said:

1. I think you would probably want to either do the laundry yourself or send it out. Bringing a 45 day supply would be a lot of effort. Also, if you are Elite in the Princess Captain's Circle, you get free laundry.

2. Menus are not repeated on a segment. However, some of the items are repeated. 

3. Entertainment will change with performers getting on and off in the ports.

True, but the Production shows will be repeated each segment.

And the Cruise Director's jokes are unlikely to change.

12 hours ago, jrblach said:

we set up a thread under Island Princess called world cruise 2021. come join us. you will enjoy everything since this is a bigger ship with so many more dining and entertainment options. bring normal amount of clothes. do your laundry or have the ship do it.

jr...you might want to post the link to make it easier for the OP to find you, since the roll call search is "broken".

20 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Same...I do not own more than two weeks worth of clothing without needing to do laundry.  Probably less! 

I agree, I don't either... my wife may 🙂

I checked out the World Cruise forum but posted here due to wondering about Princess in specific. 

But when browsing it, I saw people posting about taking 7-9 suitcases so wondered how many truly pack for a full duration... Hell, I don't think I have 45 socks if you count them as individuals and not pairs, so not sure if I'm weird or they were 🙂

Based on luggage at disembarkation in Florida I would estimate about 5 suitcases (of varying size size) pew cabin.    Most 4 and some 6.   

But, for 111 days you do pack differently.  Like your own shampoo, deodorant, sunscreen, OTC drugs......well when you assemble the cumulative products for initial packing it is a lot of stuff compared to a 14 day cruise. 

You may also consider trying to resupply at some ports. We've been able to do this multiple times. With globalization these days, many of the personal / hygiene products you use at home are available world-wide.

Another thing DW ends up doing (and I'm not sure it's a conscious decision) is that she under-packs some clothing and now has room (and a reason) to purchase some of the pretty outfits offered at various ports.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

I agree, I don't either... my wife may 🙂

I checked out the World Cruise forum but posted here due to wondering about Princess in specific. 

But when browsing it, I saw people posting about taking 7-9 suitcases so wondered how many truly pack for a full duration... Hell, I don't think I have 45 socks if you count them as individuals and not pairs, so not sure if I'm weird or they were 🙂

We sailed 28 days and one of the couples in our roll call took 7 suite cases. I can't remember for sure if she took 6 and had to buy another for the return from Tahiti or if she took 7 and had to buy an 8th. 😏 We took one checked bag and two carry on bags. People pack differently and have different "needs". Some of the ladies may need an entire suitcase just for shoes. :classic_laugh:

18 hours ago, caribill said:

True, but the Production shows will be repeated each segment.

And the Cruise Director's jokes are unlikely to change.

It must vary from ship to ship and itinerary because when we were on an 18 day segment of the world cruise recently, I don't believe there was even a production show - if so, there was only one.  The singers and dancers worked really hard to come up with new shows which were mostly genre singing and dancing - not really a story line.  New talent got on the ship quite often with comedians, magicians, etc rotating off quickly.  It was not really like any normal cruise when it came to shows.  

Most of the passengers on this particular world cruise were from Australia and New Zealand and they were more practical folk who rotated clothes with different tops and bottoms and I'm guessing had maybe 14 days.  Both times we have done world cruise segments the laundry room was always busy on a sea day and there were strict rules about what you dare do ( in regards to moving someone's clothes when done).  One cruise we heard about a laundry fight that got one or more kicked off next port!!

We have loved our world cruise segments! 

Just finished a segment of the 2019 WC on Pacific Princes - Sydney to Capetown.  For the production shows, the  production group - 1 male/1 female singer and 3 male/3 female dancers were hired from a British Dance Company.  They were on I believe from LA to Capetown.  On our segment they did 5 production shows and I believe they had other new shows between LA and Sydney.  The dancers were phenomenal as they were from a dance company and slightly older than the Princess dancers.  They were in much better shape too.  On production show nights, people arrived as early as 6:00pm to get front seating for a 7:30pm show.  

Most of the other entertainers were only on for a one night show.  I asked the CD why some of them couldn't do more than one  show.  He told me that he only had 3 cabins for entertainers and they had to rotate on and off the ship on ports days.  For us, some were excellent and some so-so.  

Food was good but there were repeats of entrees quite often.  DH said he had more seafood of any kind than on any other cruise.  He was a very happy eater.  The Sunday Brunches had every type of seafood you could think of plus other foods as well.  The dessert table was way good too.

We have been on cruises as much as 35 days. Never have we taken more than one suitcase each  and a very small carryon each.

The hard to pack cruises are when we have cold weather as well as warm. Just learned to pack and layering the key.Evenings never a problem, we repeat often and accessorize.We do send laundry out (we are Elite) but wouldn't hesitate using the passenger laundry if necessary.

On cruises less than two weeks we take 24 inch suitcases. More days, a 26 inch.

Don't know where anyone would store a huge amount of suitcases.