Need help convincing someone to go on a regent cruise

We booked our first cruise to celebrate my mums birthday as  it’s always been her dream. It’s a short 10 day Mediterranean cruise. 

It’s just that my dad is being so difficult to

convince to join us. He is 74 yrs old and would rather stay home with the dogs. I don’t know if he is scared or worried if something may happen onboard. 

Any idea on how I can convince him to get on a regent cruise?  

I’m sure if we can get him aboard, he would be the one to enjoy it the most. 

Edited by geronimo007

Well I'm 70 and my husband is 75, and he loves cruising on Regent, as do I.  He has to somehow dispel the notion about cruising that many people have: that the ships are crowded, you line up for everything, you get dinged for costs of all types of items, and you get hounded by marketers, and the pool is taken over by boos doing wet tshirt contests and water slides.

Regent cruises are fairly quiet; your fellow cruisers are usually interesting, intelligent people; the ship is not crowded, the cabins spacious; the food is very nice and you won't be dinged for anything extra unless you want a massage.  The atmosphere in the lounges in the evenings is very pleasant, with great piano players and other low-keyed entertainment, and if you want something glitzier, you can go to the show most nights.

Good for you for taking your mum on this special trip, and I agree, if he won't go, let him know he can stay home!

Without knowing what his objections are, it's difficult to offer any constructive advice.

Perhaps you can address with him how the dogs can be well cared for in his absence, if that's a concern he has.  Otherwise, the itinerary and experience have to hold some appeal for him.  If they do not, you're probably out of luck, since it sounds like the arrangements were made without his input.  

Edited by GmanJeff

Perhaps my background can help you with this. I was leery of being "stuck" in a floating tin can for a period of time surrounded by strangers who maybe I wouldn't like, eating food I hated.  But in a leap of faith, I took the plunge in 2000 (on the Paul Gauguin) and am now probably somewhere over150 days total on the ships.

However, I have friends who have tried cruises and just plain didn't like it.

And there was one cruise, far from my first, that I almost abandoned after the first few days.  It was a line and ship that many people who I  respect really like, Oceania Riviera.

So please be sure that your dad "would be the one to enjoy it the most" before trying to convince him.

My experience has been that for those who are disinclined toward cruising, it is  very difficult to convince them that they will like it, they seem to have preconceived ideas that are difficult to change.  And the truth is, even though those of us that are Regent cruising aficionados can't fathom how someone could not love it as much as we, some people just don't.

That said, a few possibilities- as Rick (Ronrick1943) suggested, there are trip reports such as his and others that if one reads them, the joy of cruising on Regent just shows so well, and may be of some help.  In addition, you can look at Youtube for videos that show cruises on Regent.  Some of them may give your Dad a better idea as to what life onboard is like.

Good luck!

Bob

I think what others say is true, you'd have to get at the root of his concerns to convince him.

Is he worried about leaving the house and dogs?  Help him find a reliable pet sitter/house sitter.  Is he worried about the logistics of travel?  Assure him you (and Regent) will take care of everything.  Is he worried about being bored on the ship?  Let him know about all the enrichment activities, music, shows, and the amazing sites he will be seeing.  Have him read the posts people write about their trips.

It may require more of a discussion of his concerns instead of just trying to talk him into it.

1 hour ago, califsealion said:

I think what others say is true, you'd have to get at the root of his concerns to convince him.

Is he worried about leaving the house and dogs?  Help him find a reliable pet sitter/house sitter.  Is he worried about the logistics of travel?  Assure him you (and Regent) will take care of everything.  Is he worried about being bored on the ship?  Let him know about all the enrichment activities, music, shows, and the amazing sites he will be seeing.  Have him read the posts people write about their trips.

It may require more of a discussion of his concerns instead of just trying to talk him into it.

I agree...but he may just feel no desire to do it.  That simple. 

On 5/5/2019 at 6:59 AM, geronimo007 said:

We booked our first cruise to celebrate my mums birthday as  it’s always been her dream. It’s a short 10 day Mediterranean cruise. 

It’s just that my dad is being so difficult to

convince to join us. He is 74 yrs old and would rather stay home with the dogs. I don’t know if he is scared or worried if something may happen onboard. 

Any idea on how I can convince him to get on a regent cruise?  

I’m sure if we can get him aboard, he would be the one to enjoy it the most. 

For years I could never convince my mother to visit me in Europe or to come on any longer vacation with us.  But when she was almost 80, I think she started to realize that it was now or never.  I actually got her interested in a Barcelona - Venice cruise with us a while back and she had the most amazing time.  She STILL talks about the 'greatest vacation she's ever had'.  I think this picture from San Marco says it all - how could you look at this and NOT want to take a Regent cruise??

Mom San Marco.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

For years I could never convince my mother to visit me in Europe or to come on any longer vacation with us.  But when she was almost 80, I think she started to realize that it was now or never.  I actually got her interested in a Barcelona - Venice cruise with us a while back and she had the most amazing time.  She STILL talks about the 'greatest vacation she's ever had'.  I think this picture from San Marco says it all - how could you look at this and NOT want to take a Regent cruise??

Mom San Marco.JPG

If that photo doesn’t convince him, nothing will! Thanks for that.

I am 75, and I really like to cruise on Regent. But the matter of flying to the ports with connections and such just turns me off! I used to enjoy flying, and I don't think the change has been all due to my aging. Airlines have just become a miserable experience. So this may be the problem, and not the actual cruise experience.

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I am 75, and I really like to cruise on Regent. But the matter of flying to the ports with connections and such just turns me off! I used to enjoy flying, and I don't think the change has been all due to my aging. Airlines have just become a miserable experience. So this may be the problem, and not the actual cruise experience.

I agree.  We have gotten to the point of picking cruises based on nonstops from DFW 😳.

rcandkc,

I know exactly what you mean. Our accessible hubs are DFW, Denver, and Phoenix with non-stop service to each. That plane change at one of those airports can't be avoided. But if we can't get directly to the port form one of those hubs, we just don't go. Even following that rule, the flight from the port to DFW was late and we missed our connecting flight home by 2 minutes and had to spend the night at the Hyatt at DFW. So we sure don't want more than one connection. The airlines are just too unreliable for that.

Not sure how difficult flights would help convince someone to sail on Regent.  The TS does not indicate where they live but, based on the fact that they referred to "mum", they likely live in the U.K. or Canada.  Flights from both places should be fairly easy.

TC2,

Difficult flight arraignments, the possibility of missing connections, and the need to run through the airport to reach them are not factors that would make an older person want to take Regent. They are factors that make an older person want to avoid ANY cruise. Forgetting about cruises for a moment, many of us older people don’t want to travel anywhere on airlines that involves more than one connection.and as I posted above, even that is risky. If the OP can book flights to and from the cruise via direct flights, his father’s aversion to going is something other than “airline aversion”, probably. But if the OP’s cruise does not involve direct flights to and from the port, this could be the problem.

There are people of all ages that can have difficulty flying.  Regent has passengers with COPD that need to travel with oxygen, very tall people have problems trying to fit into coach seats and people that use wheel chairs/walkers that need to get out of their seats to go to the restroom have serious challenges.  I am not that young and had real issues on our last flight - only from Los Angeles to Vancouver - non-stop due to a severe hematoma from a fall.  I could barely walk and did not have a cane.  It was quite a challenge.  

Actually, you are not that old but may have other reasons that are none of our business.  A good percentage of Regent passengers are over 70, 80 and even 90.  Each case is individual.  

I believe that all of us would like to see more non-stop flights.  For now, all we can do is try to get non-US based flights with only one stop (again, not in the US).  If flights are really long (like going from the U.S. to South Africa, Dubai, etc.) it might be a good idea to spend a night at the airport where you have to change planes -- get some rest and start again the next day.

In any case, the TS has not mentioned that there were any issues with her dad flying.  

Since long haul flights were mentioned here.  Be sure to buy compression socks or stockings to avoid DVT (deep vein thrombosis). This hinders the swelling in your legs and feet and helps avoid dangerous blood clots.

TC2, 

I was only raising the possibility that the OPs father’s reluctance to take a Regent cruise MIGHT BE  his reluctance to fly, with all the connections and delays that all too often are involved. I find Regent cruises to be great for us old people. I know the OP’s father would have a great time — onboard. But getting there and back can be a real mess, as you too have found. That may or may not be the problem here. I just raised the possibility.

I think his concern maybe all of the above. Also at that age, any medical issue could crop up while cruising in the middle of the sea.  the insurance company told us they will not cover anyone who is 74 and over. Though he is much healthier than me with no problems, I think it’s just a bit of apprehension. I booked the cruise a year ago and he has asked me to cancel. I have until May 17th to convince him otherwise. 

1 hour ago, geronimo007 said:

I think his concern maybe all of the above. Also at that age, any medical issue could crop up while cruising in the middle of the sea.  the insurance company told us they will not cover anyone who is 74 and over. Though he is much healthier than me with no problems, I think it’s just a bit of apprehension. I booked the cruise a year ago and he has asked me to cancel. I have until May 17th to convince him otherwise. 

I can empathize with those who have lost some enthusiasm for travel.  The idea of long flights and connections given the state of airlines, security, service issues, etc., is very off-putting as far as I'm concerned.  Also, I definitely would not travel without good medical insurance.  I don't think Regent has age limitations on coverage and/or your travel agent should be able to find a policy that covers medical problems, medical evacuation, etc.

I think all you can do is try to ascertain the various worries and come up with ways to minimize the concerns.  We all have our comfort zones and I think as we get older some of us find that the risk/reward assessment for various activities is different than it used to be.

I feel that as you couch it as pressuring him to go you might be setting yourself up for a possibly anxious cruise. Maybe he won’t enjoy being on a cruise anyway and then you and your mother may then not have such a great time either. I write from some experience with this sort of situation.

It could be helpful to step back and let him make his own decision.

4 hours ago, bissel said:

I feel that as you couch it as pressuring him to go you might be setting yourself up for a possibly anxious cruise. Maybe he won’t enjoy being on a cruise anyway and then you and your mother may then not have such a great time either. I write from some experience with this sort of situation.

It could be helpful to step back and let him make his own decision.

I guess you are right. A holiday is something you should look forward

to, not stress about. Perhaps we should

look at another holiday option where he would be more comfortable. 

So many variables in play there - cruising is great for some people, others have absolutely NO desire to take one.  I was fortunate that my mother enjoyed her cruise with us so much - but it took her about 10 years to finally take the plunge with us.

In my family, there's a difference between the 'gentle nudging' and the 'drag kicking and screaming' approaches.   :classic_biggrin:   I've gotten to the point that I'll offer to bring someone with us but if they decline, well, that's the end of that.