Tuxedos?.?

Drwesson

Just off Noordam, Sydney to Honolulu.  On Gala nights there was the odd tux, but mostmen  wore slacks and shirt, the odd pair of jeans and polo shirt. Other nights, shorts were observed in MDR.  HAL is certainly laid back these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Just off Noordam, Sydney to Honolulu.  On Gala nights there was the odd tux, but mostmen  wore slacks and shirt, the odd pair of jeans and polo shirt. Other nights, shorts were observed in MDR.  HAL is certainly laid back these days.

Pity for the women, most men look so much better in a tuxedo 🙂😉 

I think the short cruises are more casual, the longer the cruise the more formal people dress. This was on our 28 day South Pacific in Mar on Eurodam.

6ad84308deb34614b9f0e862ef795fee.jpg

• Like 3

I've never owned a tuxedo.  To be honest, I look kind of silly in this kind of get-up.  On gala nights, I have always worn a dark business suit.  It's "formal enough" for Holland America Line.

We'll be on the Veendam in a week's time, leaving Venice. Generally, we'd love to see more folks "dressed up", but I understand why some may want a more casual approach to cruising.  If you're sailing with us,, say hi, I'll be the one in the kilt 😉

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ScottieM said:

Thanks you Miss G.  This trip is a multi-celebration cruise; my b-day and her retirement woohoo!

What a great celebration.  Best birthday wishes and congratulations on your retirement.  Dress up to the 9's if you wish (we always do) and have a great cruise!

When we went on our cruise to the Mediterranean a few years ago, we asked the same tuxedo question. At the time, we were told that the European cruises, people seemed to dress up a bit more. The Hawaiian, Alaskan, Caribbean, etc cruises, were not as formal and people dressed more casually for Gala nights. On our Med cruise, a good majority of the Gala guests wore dresses, suits or tuxes. But, I didn’t scrutinize the room. I don’t recall seeing any jeans or shorts. Our group of 50 dressed in gowns and tuxes - and we loved it. This time around for our trip to Greece, my husband may just bring a black suit. Our cruise is 12 days long and we are staying another 3 weeks in Europe. He can re-use a black suit for after our trip, a tux would be harder to re-use and we aren’t going to a formal wedding this time around 

My 31-year-old son loves dressing up on formal nights and has a tux.  He pretends he's James Bond!  (Very active imagination.)  Recently he discovered our Scottish roots and decided he'd like to wear a kilt, as he saw another gentleman wearing one on a formal night.  I priced the entire outfit for our clan plaid.  It totaled $2,500!  I told him he could stick with the tux unless he pays for the kilt.  Discussion ended quickly.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2019 at 12:54 PM, Drwesson said:

Years ago I traveled with at least 2 gowns and my husband had his tuxedo. The last 3 HAL cruises we only brought dressy attire and sadly the dining room did not push the formal dress. Is anyone bringing gowns or tuxedos?

We always bring our formal wear... after all when we cruise it's all about us and us likes to dress!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

just in case you weren’t aware... you’ll find people are a little dressier on that side of the pond

.....that would be Golden Pond,  right?

• Haha 1