Grand Africa Oct 2020 map

scubadawg

Spoke to a representative in HAL's World Cruise and Grand Voyages department Thursday afternoon.  She asked if I had a "Future Dam Booking Fall Grand Africa," I replied in the negative, and she suggested that I make such a booking immediately because there are "hundreds" of guests who already have this Future Dam Booking.  She also informed me that it would be best if I specified the category and three stateroom numbers in that category I would prefer.  HAL will email either the guest, if the guest books directly, or the guest's travel agent at the end of May to confirm the booking.  There is "every likelihood" HAL will not be listing this voyage on their website because they "will not need to."

After speaking to her, I emailed my TA, he bought a Future Dam Booking Fall Grand Africa at $100.00 for me, and I have now joined the list of hopefuls.  I also checked this afternoon with another representative in HAL's World Cruise and Grand Voyages department, and the story is the same as it was yesterday afternoon.

Hope this information may be helpful to someone reading this post.

12 hours ago, CruznRagtop said:

Spoke to a representative in HAL's World Cruise and Grand Voyages department Thursday afternoon.  She asked if I had a "Future Dam Booking Fall Grand Africa," I replied in the negative, and she suggested that I make such a booking immediately because there are "hundreds" of guests who already have this Future Dam Booking.  She also informed me that it would be best if I specified the category and three stateroom numbers in that category I would prefer.  HAL will email either the guest, if the guest books directly, or the guest's travel agent at the end of May to confirm the booking.  There is "every likelihood" HAL will not be listing this voyage on their website because they "will not need to."

After speaking to her, I emailed my TA, he bought a Future Dam Booking Fall Grand Africa at $100.00 for me, and I have now joined the list of hopefuls.  I also checked this afternoon with another representative in HAL's World Cruise and Grand Voyages department, and the story is the same as it was yesterday afternoon.

Hope this information may be helpful to someone reading this post.

That very much matches what the FCC told me on our cruise.

She said this itinerary is only done once every 6 years and is usually sold out.  It certainly seemed popular as a number on board were reserving spots.

The deposit is just to reserve a spot and if you don’t like the itinerary, price or the segment doesn’t match (assuming you are not doing the whole thing) then you can cancel and the deposit is refunded immediately.  It doesn’t work like a FCD.

Like all Grands & World’s, you can only choose your cabin if you are doing the whole thing.  Otherwise, it’s a guarantee.

This is the itinerary information we got on board the Prinsendam:

D7705B7A-EF47-4C92-BDEF-5D3CD73E2AF8.thumb.jpeg.4bedd147cfa7b125c5cca1404f0c28e0.jpeg

We did a segment almost the same cruise in reverse, Ft Lauderdale to Cape Town and then spent a week in Cape Town. on the Prinsendam. We both loved it, great cruise.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

This is the itinerary information we got on board the Prinsendam:

D7705B7A-EF47-4C92-BDEF-5D3CD73E2AF8.thumb.jpeg.4bedd147cfa7b125c5cca1404f0c28e0.jpeg

Could you please fill in the date for Mombassa and ports (with dates) between Mombasa and Mamoudzou?  The map in the op seems to just show Zanzibar between those 2 ports.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Could you please fill in the date for Mombassa and ports (with dates) between Mombasa and Mamoudzou?  The map in the op seems to just show Zanzibar between those 2 ports.

Thanks!

Mombasa is Nov 12 and 13.  Zanzibar  is the 14th.  Mayotte is the 16th

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Has anyone ever heard of a cruise not being initially published because it will "probably be sold out?"  Wasn't the 2020 WC originally published?  I guess it is the 2020 WC mentioned in the notice?

The cruise will be published.

The itinerary I posted is not the final one.  It’s a “pending” one.

Once they have the itinerary finalized it will be posted on the HAL website and those that reserved will get a notification and, at that time will either have to accept and pay the deposit or refuse and give up their spot.

At least, that is how it was explained to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

The cruise will be published.

The itinerary I posted is not the final one.  It’s a “pending” one.

Once they have the itinerary finalized it will be posted on the HAL website and those that reserved will get a notification and, at that time will either have to accept and pay the deposit or refuse and give up their spot.

At least, that is how it was explained to me.

That makes more sense.  Thanks, Kazu.  Sounds like some reps were giving their own opinions.

4 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

That makes more sense.  Thanks, Kazu.  Sounds like some reps were giving their own opinions.

You are most welcome.

The cruise is going to be available in segments as well and most likely they will not all be filled IMO.  (Thinking back to the Prinsendam’s segment from BA to FLL which went on sale very reasonable 😉 ) 

3 hours ago, Sunriseatsea said:

What happened to Tanzania? Am I missing it? We were looking forward to visiting there.

Tanzania is there.  - November 14th if the proposed itinerary is the one that holds.

Apologies as I think my pic cut out.

11 minutes ago, woodinville cruisers said:

Does anyone have any advance information about pricing?  Just ballpark would be great.

That is probably what is delaying the official announcement!  HAL hasn't yet decided what the market will bear.

I was just able to go into my HAL account and look at my booking for the Grand Africa Cruise.(I have a future dam).

It shows some tours in various ports and has a slightly different itinerary that the one previewed on this thread.  It shows that we stop at Richards Bay November 21 from 8 am. - 5 pm. for one example of the change.

Cape Town looks to be November 24 arrive 8 am and depart November 25 at 11 pm. (Just 2 days rather than 3).

I was also able to see my pricing when I looked at the payment information.

My paperwork shows as a guarantee at this point.

I called and they say that the cruise is still not finalized.

Mary