Grand Africa Oct 2020 map

scubadawg

3 minutes ago, woodinville cruisers said:

Liselle sent the proposal already for the 4 nights at Notten's Bush Lodge and she'll send my payment form in the morning.  Our total will be R92,200.  She said there will be no discounts even if we add more people so that price is firm.

I've been working on a safari for a while now and have spent quite a bit of time researching and talking to friends that have done it and I'm happy with the final product.  

Notten's Bush Camp - 4 nights includes accommodation, all meals, drinks (soft drinks and alcoholic), all safari activities (2 x open 4x4 game drives , 1 x bush walk per day), teas, coffees

Scheduled flight Skukuza - Cape Town

Road transfer Maputo harbor - Nottens

Road transfer Notten's to Skukuza aorport

Road transfer Cape Town Airport - Cape Town Harbor

If you're interested you can email Liselle at liselle@sunsafaris.com  Space is subject to availability at time of booking.

I'm taking out insurance through my TA to cover the deposit in case anything unforeseen happens.  We'll then add to the covered amount when the cruise payment becomes non refundable.

Mary

If you don't mind my asking, what does R92,200 convert to in US dollars, and also, is that for 2 people?

Thanks,

Pattie

We booked this as well.  It looks thrilling and comes at a time when we can finally be away for such a long stretch.  (We've never managed more than 40 days.)  I really want to do this cruise, but am still thinking over health precautions and if it will be possible to do the trip.  We'll see, as more information emerges, I guess.

2 hours ago, pattiescruise said:

If you don't mind my asking, what does R92,200 convert to in US dollars, and also, is that for 2 people?

Thanks,

Pattie

She quoted R92,200 for two people and USD $6,240 or $3120 per person.  I imagine that exchange rate could change.

Peter sent me the ship tours for the 2018 segment of the world cruise. 

HAL's 4 day/ 3 night safari to Jock Safari from Maputo was $5999 per person and that was only 3 nights at Jock. 

There was a less expensive option, also from Maputo 4 days/ 3 nights to Kwa Madwala Game Reserve and the price was $4399 per person.

Their prices were for double (2 person sharing).  

Mary

28 minutes ago, woodinville cruisers said:

She quoted R92,200 for two people and USD $6,240 or $3120 per person.  I imagine that exchange rate could change.

Peter sent me the ship tours for the 2018 segment of the world cruise. 

HAL's 4 day/ 3 night safari to Jock Safari from Maputo was $5999 per person and that was only 3 nights at Jock. 

There was a less expensive option, also from Maputo 4 days/ 3 nights to Kwa Madwala Game Reserve and the price was $4399 per person.

Their prices were for double (2 person sharing).  

Mary

Thank you Mary. What you have planned sounds wonderful, but we are just not ready to really plan anything yet for this trip. I am impressed with those of you who are ready to start getting your trips organized. We still haven't figured out if 79 days is too long for us to be gone from home!😃

28 minutes ago, ptsaint said:

I have sent a request via email to have all three of these threads merged

The two roll call threads do belong in the Roll Call forum, and (probably) should be merged with each other (I haven't read them, so can't be positive.
However, the thread on this forum should remain separate as it is a discussion of a general topic.

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

The two roll call threads do belong in the Roll Call forum, and (probably) should be merged with each other (I haven't read them, so can't be positive.
However, the thread on this forum should remain separate as it is a discussion of a general topic.

Ruth,
people are talking about tours here as well - its very confusing to be honest 
we shall see what CC does
Patrice

9 minutes ago, ptsaint said:

Ruth,
people are talking about tours here as well - its very confusing to be honest 
we shall see what CC does

I realize that. However, if this thread were to be moved to the Roll Call forum there is nothing to stop someone from posting a new general discussion thread here, and seeing that thread being taken over by inappropriate posts.

Posters should just be aware of which forum they are in, and post accordingly. Planning for the cruise belongs in the Roll Call thread(s). But a general discussion is also in order, especially since it is a brand new itinerary, and not much is known about the cruise yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

I realize that. However, if this thread were to be moved to the Roll Call forum there is nothing to stop someone from posting a new general discussion thread here, and seeing that thread being taken over by inappropriate posts.

Posters should just be aware of which forum they are in, and post accordingly. Planning for the cruise belongs in the Roll Call thread(s). But a general discussion is also in order, especially since it is a brand new itinerary, and not much is known about the cruise yet.

Cruise is out, itinerary is out and deposits are in - sorry am still confused

The "Roll Call" stuff here, such as organizing independent tours, is confusing.  But I am glad there is a general discussion here about this cruise, because it is an unusual and infrequent route.  I wouldn't have been aware of it had this thread not existed.  As it is, we booked it, and once again I thank Cruise Critic and the informed posters here on the HAL board.

20 hours ago, SFO PETER said:
   2 hours ago,  ann95665 said: 

Hi Mary,

Your tour sounds great.  Please keep us in mind.  I remember you and Brent from the 2017 Atlantic Adventure cruise - I think we did a few tours together on that cruise.  Take care.

Ann

That was one of our favorite cruises

=====

Too bad I am not joining you four.   We have been this way before and your safari is looking good.

Save some money for tipping the Guide, Spotter and Housekeeping.  Hi Ann and Dave.  Will see Mary and Brent next month.

Peter

Hi Peter & Harry,   Enjoy your cruise with Mary and Brent.  Are you going to Alaska?  We are on the Maasdam on June 18th for the 21 day.    Which safari lodge did you and Harry use?  Take care.

Ann

27 minutes ago, ann95665 said:

Hi Peter & Harry,   Enjoy your cruise with Mary and Brent.  Are you going to Alaska?  We are on the Maasdam on June 18th for the 21 day.    Which safari lodge did you and Harry use?  Take care.

Ann

We will wave to you as you get off and we get on July 9.   We are going to Alaska and around Japan getting off Aug 14.  Our friends Mary and Brent is on this cruise as well.    We used Abercrombie & Kent to book Lion Sands Narina Lodge Luxury Safari for three nights and four days.  This is similar in activity to the one Mary is proposing except hers might be a teeny bit less luxury but her safari looks really nice.    Note there is limited "inventory" for cabins in Kruger National Park so if you are for sure going on this cruise for the specific purpose of going on safari I suggest you book now.    The Private Lodges in Kruger are concessions and there are no fences.   Animals can go where they want.   Concessions can go on their "concession" land in the bush (I really mean in the bush-no road)  as well as public roads.   Non concessions can only stay on public roads.   We still owe you a drink...

Does anyone know about immunizations required for this trip? I called HAL and no one knows anything about it!

I looked at the CDC reference and found out that quite a few places we are visiting require Yellow Fever shots.

Does anyone have any more info about this before we plunk down our deposit on Mon?

2 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

Does anyone know about immunizations required for this trip? I called HAL and no one knows anything about it!

I looked at the CDC reference and found out that quite a few places we are visiting require Yellow Fever shots.

Does anyone have any more info about this before we plunk down our deposit on Mon?

Hasn't someone started a roll call for this cruise?  Once a cruise is booked, this type of info should be posted on the roll call, where it is really needed.  The purpose of a roll call is to exchange info re tours, shots, lodging, etc.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Hasn't someone started a roll call for this cruise?  Once a cruise is booked, this type of info should be posted on the roll call, where it is really needed.  The purpose of a roll call is to exchange info re tours, shots, lodging, etc.  

I can't find the roll call for this voyage. Can you?

7 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

7 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

I was able to find an unofficial roll call for this voyage. The cruise critic site for this HAL cruise is not on the usual roll call board. I hope that they get this straightened out.

3 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

LewiLewi, this is a concern of ours as well, due to being over 60, etc.  I have found the most helpful information here on CC on the destination board for Africa.  

We plan to make our deposit, and then talk more with HAL once final payment is due.  I'd like to know what is required to board the ship.  We are willing to stay onboard during certain port stops, if necessary, but we do need to be allowed to board!  (Although it all gets complicated by the fact that outbreaks of diseases can occur anytime, and then I suppose the rules would change.)

If you find out anything more about the health considerations, please do share.  😊 

50 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

LewiLewi, this is a concern of ours as well, due to being over 60, etc.  I have found the most helpful information here on CC on the destination board for Africa.  

We plan to make our deposit, and then talk more with HAL once final payment is due.  I'd like to know what is required to board the ship.  We are willing to stay onboard during certain port stops, if necessary, but we do need to be allowed to board!  (Although it all gets complicated by the fact that outbreaks of diseases can occur anytime, and then I suppose the rules would change.)

If you find out anything more about the health considerations, please do share.  😊 

I found out that most of the countries on the west Coast of Africa require or recommend a Yellow Fever vaccination when visiting their country. You can get a waiver from your doctor if you are over 60, but then you are exposing yourself to YF if bitten. This is a problem, I really don't know what to do about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

The "Roll Call" stuff here, such as organizing independent tours, is confusing.  But I am glad there is a general discussion here about this cruise, because it is an unusual and infrequent route.  I wouldn't have been aware of it had this thread not existed.  As it is, we booked it, and once again I thank Cruise Critic and the informed posters here on the HAL board.

The posts which discuss tours on this thread violate Cruise Critic Guidelines and should simply be deleted.  The roll call started by budddawn has the right format for inclusion in the roll call tool and should become the official one.

This thread should be a general discussion of the nature of the voyage.

Roy

• Like 2