Grand Africa Oct 2020 map

scubadawg

Very interested in this itinerary. Since pricing is yet to be published, anyone with a veranda suite booked would like to share the price and what perks are included?  Do i need to sell my first born to afford this cruise😅

9 hours ago, janmcn said:

When we did the 2018 WC, our TA (fantastic one based in Seattle) offered a lot of perks that you don't get via HAL bookings direct. One of the best perks was a terrific 4-day safari out of Maputo which was about half the cost of the HAL one and several other "private" ones. The safari was great since we drove from Maputo about 3-4 hours to get to the private reserve adjacent to the Kruger...so only flight was one back to Cape Town. Saw "the Big Five" and loved the safari lodge. Just FYI.

What lodge did you stay in?

We stayed at Shishangeni Lodge. Wonderful.

i learned that private lodges adjacent to the Kruger have their own roads but can also if need be use the Kruger NP roads. So you are usually only seeing other vehicles from your own lodge. One time our roads were too wet to use so we had to use the NP roads...private cars, larger safari trucks, etc. Not good! 

Photos can be seen going to my Smugmug site in my signature, under Travels, under 2018, World Cruise and rolling down towards the end to see photos.

10 minutes ago, ScottishMaid said:

I got a cabin change but she couldn’t tell me if the total $5k cabin deposit is refundable. She said to call back later. 

Who did you talk to?  I called early this morning and they told me it will be the end of the day before any changes can be done and to call back then

2 hours ago, tvlgoddess said:

Who did you talk to?  I called early this morning and they told me it will be the end of the day before any changes can be done and to call back then

Someone at the Grand Voyages number. They were very busy even at 7 am Pacific Time.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:11 PM, pattiescruise said:

If you book a Cat F and above, it  includes many perks. For the F cabins, it is pre-paid gratuities, $300pp OBC, luggage pick up and delivery, and a bottle of sparkling wine. Also, I was told that if the trip is paid in full before Feb. 28th, there is an additional 3% discount.

This afternoon I telephoned HAL's World Cruise and Grand Voyages Department and spoke to Karen.  I asked her to update me on the Fall 2020 Grand Africa voyage. 

After she brought up my Mariner Club record, she informed me she and her colleagues are currently working on "placeholders."  When I asked her to explain, she said those guests who have a Future Dam Certificate for the Fall 2020 Grand Africa are in the process of having a booking created in the category requested with attention paid to the stateroom numbers the guest specified.  When this process is completed, the guest or his or her travel agent will be notified, and a deposit will be required. 

She estimated these notifications will go out "beginning next Monday, June 3rd."  

Even I am on a road trip and not "connected" 24/7, I shall check here periodically to see if anyone has received a formal notification from HAL or a travel agent.  

NEW POST---do not know how to reply without older post coming up!

WOODINSVILLE CRUISERS and TVLGODDESS:

On Saturday when I received the email from HAL for this cruise, I called HAL because I had received a guarantee and my TA was off for the weekend.  I had given the TA my first three cabin number preferences and I definitely did not want a guarantee.

The World Cruise and Grand Voyages Department was closed, but the HAL agent asked me for my cabin preferences, she checked, all three were available, and she assigned me my first choice.  It was as easy as that.

The HAL phone lines are open until 8 p.m. EDT so if you see this before then, you can call.

Before someone reading this believes I am getting special treatment because of Mariner Club status or the cabin category booked, I am a four-star Mariner and sailing solo in an inside cabin--and I don't book through HAL because I want the lower price my bricks-and-mortar TA gives me.  

There was a question up thread about the deposit, but I know nothing about that except it is due by the close of business Monday, June 10.  I am on a road trip so I will not be able to reach the TA until later this week to pay the deposit.

Also up thread was a question about the refund being able to be refunded.  There is, to me, a lot of discussion about HAL's tiered pricing.  Speaking personally, I always book so that the deposit will be refunded in full to me if I must cancel before final payment--even if I pay a higher cruise fare.  Please be sure to ask your PCC or TA about the refund properties of your deposit.

I look forward to meeting all of you who book the 2020 Grand Africa at the CC Meet and Greet!

This was in an email from a TA that came today.  Related fares as low as $12.499

Holland America Line Full Grand Voyage Amenities when you book Neptune Suite category and above: 
  • Complimentary Laundry, dry cleaning and pressing**
  • Complimentary Unlimited In-suite bottled water soft drinks**
Holland America Line Full Grand Voyage Early Booking Amenities when you book by February 28, 2020:
Pinnacle, Neptune & Vista Suites (Cat PS-BC)
  • $1,000 per person Shipboard Credit for Cat PS ($2,000 for single occupancy)
  • $750 per person Shipboard Credit for Cat SA-SB ($1,500 for single occupancy)
  • $500 per person Shipboard Credit for Cat A-BC ($950 for single occupancy)
  • Prepaid Hotel Service Charges
  • Prepaid Internet (4,000 minutes per person)
  • One Complimentary EXC Tour
  • Unlimited Luggage Delivery Service for U.S. and Canadian Residents (To/From Boston/Ft. Lauderdale only)
  • Initial In-suite Liquor Set-Up (4 bottles)
  • "Welcome Onboard" Bottle of Sparkling Wine
Select Ocean-view Staterooms (CA-F)
  • $300 per person Shipboard Credit ($480 for single occupancy)
  • Prepaid Hotel Service Charges
  • Luggage Delivery Service for U.S. and Canadian Residents (To/From Boston/Ft. Lauderdale only) - 2 pieces per guest
  • "Welcome Onboard" Bottle of Sparkling Wine

**Guests receiving complimentary upgrades or purchasing a PLUS offer are excluded.

Edited by DeltaBreeze

28 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Details for this cruise are now on the HAL website, for those interested.

Just to save people looking, I will add -only the full cruise is there.  No segments are posted yet.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Just to save people looking, I will add -only the full cruise is there.  No segments are posted yet.

Hi Kazu, you can see the segments if you go to "More Filters" and click on "Sold Out".

Boston-Cape Town

Fort Lauderdale-Cape Town

Capetown-Fort Lauderdale

When I bring up the cruise I have nothing listed for Dec. 5 & 6.  Is that the same on yours or am I doing something wrong.  It was going to be Dec. 5, Ghana and Dec. 6, Ivory Coast.  It seems we are some place for two days.  Is there enough to do at the Ivory Coast for two days?   They also took out Tunisia which does not surprise me,  however, I was excited to be going there.

Kazu, did you say that you had booked a segment and if so which one?  If we cruise Ft. Lauderdale to Cape Town then we miss Namibia.  

8 minutes ago, S&B said:

When I bring up the cruise I have nothing listed for Dec. 5 & 6.  Is that the same on yours or am I doing something wrong.  It was going to be Dec. 5, Ghana and Dec. 6, Ivory Coast.  It seems we are some place for two days.  Is there enough to do at the Ivory Coast for two days?   They also took out Tunisia which does not surprise me,  however, I was excited to be going there.

Kazu, did you say that you had booked a segment and if so which one?  If we cruise Ft. Lauderdale to Cape Town then we miss Namibia.  

I show Tunisia on Oct 22 on my itinerary.

7 hours ago, colbe said:

Hi Kazu, you can see the segments if you go to "More Filters" and click on "Sold Out".

Boston-Cape Town

Fort Lauderdale-Cape Town

Capetown-Fort Lauderdale

Thanks kindly.

I wouldn’t have thought to check “sold out” for an itinerary not yet sold 😉 

6 hours ago, S&B said:

I reserved a segment but the one I was hoping for (suggested it should be by the FCC) isn’t there.. 😞

Have to take a hard look now at the firmed itinerary before I hear from HAL.  I had thought to get off at Cape Town.  <sigh>

7 hours ago, S&B said:

They also took out Tunisia which does not surprise me,  however, I was excited to be going there.

They also took out Ceuta (a lovely stop where we would be happy to return to) and added Agadir, Morocco  & Lanzarote in the Canary Islands.  

Stop in Oman has been changed from Salalah to Muscat on a quick look.

Hi - we are booked I could not find this thread yesterday and started a second one - will ask admin to merge them or just provide a link to this one

I have already connected with a couple of tour companies re seeing the big 5 - missing a couple of sea days - let me know if your interested in this type of adventure it will be limited to 8 or 10 people total

excited to do this cruise!

13 minutes ago, AndreaB said:

I might be very interested. Thank for for looking into safaris and let me know what you find out ptsaint.  How fun, planning for a new adventure. 

Thank you,

Andrea

got it thanks Andrea 

So, after spending an hour on line I think there are no more cat "f" cabins left, correct?  Actually, there are only 12 to begin with so if we want the extra paid hotel fee we will need to go to the next higher category?   The guarantee ocean view is at the front of the ship which my DH said to me one time,  don't ever do this again!!   I believe it is HH or H.  Sorry to ask such questions.  If I don't hurry up and get this done we may be sitting at home wishing we were there!!