Top Tips for Regent First Time Cruisers

czardas

Greetings all. We are Becki and Steve from Florida. We are doing the Rome to Miami transatlantic crossing on Mariner in April. It will be our first Regent cruise and we will celebrate our 40th anniversary. I noticed a previous post mentioned Culinary Arts classes. How do I find them before our sailing? We’ve done them on HAL before and really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks for all the great tips. I confess, I have a glitzy lanyard that I’ve used on prior cruises. Now if this darned Coronavirus doesn’t ruin our plans I’ll be a happy girl. 😎

2 minutes ago, Dutch48 said:

Greetings all. We are Becki and Steve from Florida. We are doing the Rome to Miami transatlantic crossing on Mariner in April. It will be our first Regent cruise and we will celebrate our 40th anniversary. I noticed a previous post mentioned Culinary Arts classes. How do I find them before our sailing? We’ve done them on HAL before and really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks for all the great tips. I confess, I have a glitzy lanyard that I’ve used on prior cruises. Now if this darned Coronavirus doesn’t ruin our plans I’ll be a happy girl. 😎

Welcome to the Regent board.  Unfortunately, Culinary Classes are likely booked up by now.  Your TA should have told you about setting up "My Account" on the Regent website.  You should have booked excursions AND dining reservations by now too.  Still,  set up your account on the Regent website - check to see if any excursions are not booked (if they are booked, call Regent to get on the waitlist ...... waitlists typically clear).  Also see if there are dining reservations available.  You can book onboard but have to be flexible with the times and sharing a table.

Since very few Regent passengers use lanyards, you will likely be the "glitziest":classic_biggrin:  Enjoy your cruise!

8 minutes ago, Dutch48 said:

Unfortunately there is not a Culinary Arts Kitchen on Mariner.  Only on Explorer and Splendor.  So sorry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Welcome to the Regent board.  Unfortunately, Culinary Classes are likely booked up by now.  Your TA should have told you about setting up "My Account" on the Regent website.  You should have booked excursions AND dining reservations by now too.  Still,  set up your account on the Regent website - check to see if any excursions are not booked (if they are booked, call Regent to get on the waitlist ...... waitlists typically clear).  Also see if there are dining reservations available.  You can book onboard but have to be flexible with the times and sharing a table.

Since very few Regent passengers use lanyards, you will likely be the "glitziest":classic_biggrin:  Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Travelcat2. We set up our account the day we booked but I didn't see any info on Culinary classes. Fortunately we booked all our excursions in December and just booked specialty dining this month. Another question - how do you make special requests, i.e. liquor and mixers in our suite?  I've noticed many suggest doing that so it is set up when you arrive in your cabin. We've been cruising for years and I've been our "TA" over the years. The "all inclusive-ness" of this cruise is very exciting to me. We will be spending three nights pre-cruise in Rome (arriving on our actual anniversary) so this will also be the longest cruise vacation we've ever done. 

I mentioned the lanyard because it seems to be a controversial (lol) topic.  😍 We do a lot of Princess cruising and the lanyard is great for a cruise card and medallion. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch48 said:

Thanks Travelcat2. We set up our account the day we booked but I didn't see any info on Culinary classes. Fortunately we booked all our excursions in December and just booked specialty dining this month. Another question - how do you make special requests, i.e. liquor and mixers in our suite?  I've noticed many suggest doing that so it is set up when you arrive in your cabin. We've been cruising for years and I've been our "TA" over the years. The "all inclusive-ness" of this cruise is very exciting to me. We will be spending three nights pre-cruise in Rome (arriving on our actual anniversary) so this will also be the longest cruise vacation we've ever done. 

I mentioned the lanyard because it seems to be a controversial (lol) topic.  😍 We do a lot of Princess cruising and the lanyard is great for a cruise card and medallion. 

So glad that you did book excursions, etc.  The formatting wasn't too good but when you press the button for "Customize Your Voyage", the Culinary Kitchen shows up.  If it is not there, it may be full.

If you are in a PH suite or higher, you can request items for your suite in this area.  Otherwise, I suggest that you wait until you board and ask your steward/steward for your requests.  Some people call Regent but I do not recommend it during this crisis.  It is taking days to get back to passengers because they are busy rebooking fights, cruises, etc. due to the virus.  

Have to ask what a "medallion" is (the type that you mentioned you use with your lanyard)?  I do recall one argument about lanyards.  A kind hearted person wanted to buy their friend a special gift for their voyage and asked about a lanyard.  I felt strongly that this was not the right gift since they are rarely used on luxury cruise lines and her friend likely would not wear one.  Others disagreed.  

Not a big deal.  I am just used to seeing lanyards on mainstream and premium cruise lines.  Plus, many people that work have to wear them and who wants to be reminded of work while on vacation?

Almost forgot - I totally understand being your own TA but, when you are sailing on a luxury cruise line, you are missing out on a rebate of your cruise fare.  Even though I am completely capable of doing everything on my own, I don't want to leave money on the table.  

Have a very Happy Anniversary and a great cruise!

CUSTOMIZE YOUR VOYAGE *

* CUSTOMIZATION IS OPTIONAL

ROUNDTRIP 
AIRFARE

Your trip includes:

Round-trip airfare for two, from YVR
REVIEW AIR SCHEDULE

SHORE 
EXCURSIONS

Your trip includes:

Unlimited shore excursions

Note:
Excursions may be booked on Wednesday, March 11, 2020.

BEVERAGES, DINING, AND GRATUITIES

Your trip includes:

FREE beverages, including alcohol, FREE restaurants and room service, and all pre-paid gratuities.

Note:
Dining reservations may be booked on Saturday, August 8, 2020.

BUTLER
SERVICE

Your trip includes:

Butler service, with complimentary in-suite mini-bar setup and other preferences.

Submit a Butler Request Form

CULINARY ARTS
KITCHEN CLASSES

Optional Culinary Arts Kitchen classes:

Expand your culinary skills through highly-individualized hands on instruction.

Explore culinary arts kitchen classes options

59 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Can’t wait to see you again in two weeks!

sheila

It will be fun!  Our flight is non-stop and not long (thankfully).  Disappointed about having to cancel our family visit but Regent obviously knows what it is doing.

Jackie

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

So glad that you did book excursions, etc.  The formatting wasn't too good but when you press the button for "Customize Your Voyage", the Culinary Kitchen shows up.  If it is not there, it may be full.

If you are in a PH suite or higher, you can request items for your suite in this area.  Otherwise, I suggest that you wait until you board and ask your steward/steward for your requests.  Some people call Regent but I do not recommend it during this crisis.  It is taking days to get back to passengers because they are busy rebooking fights, cruises, etc. due to the virus.  

Have to ask what a "medallion" is (the type that you mentioned you use with your lanyard)?  I do recall one argument about lanyards.  A kind hearted person wanted to buy their friend a special gift for their voyage and asked about a lanyard.  I felt strongly that this was not the right gift since they are rarely used on luxury cruise lines and her friend likely would not wear one.  Others disagreed.  

Not a big deal.  I am just used to seeing lanyards on mainstream and premium cruise lines.  Plus, many people that work have to wear them and who wants to be reminded of work while on vacation?

Almost forgot - I totally understand being your own TA but, when you are sailing on a luxury cruise line, you are missing out on a rebate of your cruise fare.  Even though I am completely capable of doing everything on my own, I don't want to leave money on the table.  

Have a very Happy Anniversary and a great cruise!

CUSTOMIZE YOUR VOYAGE *

* CUSTOMIZATION IS OPTIONAL

ROUNDTRIP 
AIRFARE

Your trip includes:

Round-trip airfare for two, from YVR
REVIEW AIR SCHEDULE

SHORE 
EXCURSIONS

Your trip includes:

Unlimited shore excursions

Note:
Excursions may be booked on Wednesday, March 11, 2020.

BEVERAGES, DINING, AND GRATUITIES

Your trip includes:

FREE beverages, including alcohol, FREE restaurants and room service, and all pre-paid gratuities.

Note:
Dining reservations may be booked on Saturday, August 8, 2020.

BUTLER
SERVICE

Your trip includes:

Butler service, with complimentary in-suite mini-bar setup and other preferences.

Submit a Butler Request Form

CULINARY ARTS
KITCHEN CLASSES

Optional Culinary Arts Kitchen classes:

Expand your culinary skills through highly-individualized hands on instruction.

Explore culinary arts kitchen classes options

Ocean Medallion Class is something fairly new on some Princess ships. Regal was one of the first to use it on our cruise in 2019. It's a small metal medallion that replaces your cruise card. It does everything! Unlock your cabin, order food or beverages to your location, navigate the ship, book excursions, book dining, gamble online, locate fellow travelers on ship, monitor spending, play games, book activities. It works through apps on your phone. If you're interested there are several very good videos on YouTube.

IMG_2339.thumb.jpeg.bbdf8aabcb424773da17a4b0da2dad16.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Dutch48 said:

Ocean Medallion Class is something fairly new on some Princess ships. Regal was one of the first to use it on our cruise in 2019. It's a small metal medallion that replaces your cruise card. It does everything! Unlock your cabin, order food or beverages to your location, navigate the ship, book excursions, book dining, gamble online, locate fellow travelers on ship, monitor spending, play games, book activities. It works through apps on your phone. If you're interested there are several very good videos on YouTube.

IMG_2339.thumb.jpeg.bbdf8aabcb424773da17a4b0da2dad16.jpeg

Thank you so much for explaining that - have not heard of this in the past.  Since we will never sail on Princess, we will likely not see one in person.  As an aside, I feel so badly for the people that were on the Diamond Princess.  It was a nightmare that was made worse by people not understanding the protocols for this new virus.  A lot was learned from the Diamond Princess and hopefully other cruise lines have learned not to keep passengers that are ill on a ship with those that are not.  

19 hours ago, Dutch48 said:

The Mariner doesn't have Culinary Arts Classes, only on the 2 bigger ships. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you so much for explaining that - have not heard of this in the past.  Since we will never sail on Princess, we will likely not see one in person.  As an aside, I feel so badly for the people that were on the Diamond Princess.  It was a nightmare that was made worse by people not understanding the protocols for this new virus.  A lot was learned from the Diamond Princess and hopefully other cruise lines have learned not to keep passengers that are ill on a ship with those that are not.  

Obviously it was a total failure.  It is my understand that it was not the cruise line making the decisions, but the Japanese government.  

12 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Obviously it was a total failure.  It is my understand that it was not the cruise line making the decisions, but the Japanese government.  

Interesting - I was not aware of that.  While I hope that Japan can host the Summer Olympics, it is not looking positive.

4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Interesting - I was not aware of that.  While I hope that Japan can host the Summer Olympics, it is not looking positive.

I fear that you might be correct.

Edited by jagoffee