Where did the champagne go?

bastmr

Last winter, we sailed the Veendam. We bought the EBP and had quite some champagne by the glass: Nicolas Feuillatte $12.50. For us a good reason to upgrade the SBP to a EBP.

But recently HAL raised the drink price with the SPB to $ 11 p/drink. With the EBP per-drink price stil at $15 p/drink. Why should I even think of buying the EBP?

And... since HAL has a new beverage supplier, the REAL champagne bij the glass, included in any beverage package, is gone! The same for some of the 'drinkable' wines by the glass. When I look at the most recent (May 2019) wine list at Roger Jetts website: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/MDR-Wine-Menu-1.pdf; there is no reason to buy the EBP (okay, if your on the Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam, you'll get the Freestyle Coke with the EBP...), but no champagne by the glass in the EBP, very few wines that you can buy with the EBP that you can't have with the SBP.

Dear HAL, and I know you'll read the Forums; please raise the per-drink limit for the EBP! $18 might be nice 🙂 or bring back some decent wines, and a real champagne for max $15. And please,... before our Koningsdam trip next summer ☀️

• Like 1

HAL raised the prices for the SBP en EBP: 

SBP now $54,95 (online before the cruise still $44,95)

EBP now $59,95

extra reason to raise the price-limit for drinks in the EBP!  

We’ve just bought the EBP for our summer cruise precisely so we could enjoy a couple of glasses of champagne before dinner and now it’s not included?!  How annoying.

As I was told by a Nieuw Statendam bartender, the new V-P in charge of food and beverage wanted to "upgrade" the HAL wine list.  The new definition of "upgrade" is to increase the revenue for HAL and decrease the quality and affordability of the wines on their wine list.

Well, he is Dutch afterall. 🤪

For a real upgrade in food and beverages, they should have appointed a Belgian. We live to eat. The Dutch eat to live 😉

Just joking of course, although there is a sliver of truth in there...

by the way, he came over from NCL...

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Despegue said:

For a real upgrade in food and beverages, they should have appointed a Belgian. We live to eat. The Dutch eat to live 😉

Informative post about the gentleman; thank you.  Coming from NCL, that is very revealing!

"The Dutch eat to live" vs. "We live to eat" got a chuckle out of me when I read that.  

Those in charge of food and beverage at HAL have historically produced menus that once could have been considered "gourmet".  It can be done if that is what Corporate wants to be done today.  The nationality of whomever is in charge shouldn't make a difference.

On Nieuw Statendam this Winter, the dinner menu often had odd combinations of "stuff" with, for me, too much emphasis on avocados and artichokes as ingredients of dishes.  Comments have been made by WCB during their 2019 Grand World Cruise about "strange" menus in their opinion as well as with those with whom they dine.

Having two more HAL cruises booked--one to Alaska and a Christmas/New Year's Cruise--I am hoping that the menus that are presented and that the dinners that are prepared/served will be more appealing than what I found on Nieuw Statendam.

6 hours ago, bastmr said:

Last winter, we sailed the Veendam. We bought the EBP and had quite some champagne by the glass: Nicolas Feuillatte $12.50. For us a good reason to upgrade the SBP to a EBP.

But recently HAL raised the drink price with the SPB to $ 11 p/drink. With the EBP per-drink price stil at $15 p/drink. Why should I even think of buying the EBP?

And... since HAL has a new beverage supplier, the REAL champagne bij the glass, included in any beverage package, is gone! The same for some of the 'drinkable' wines by the glass. When I look at the most recent (May 2019) wine list at Roger Jetts website: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/MDR-Wine-Menu-1.pdf; there is no reason to buy the EBP (okay, if your on the Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam, you'll get the Freestyle Coke with the EBP...), but no champagne by the glass in the EBP, very few wines that you can buy with the EBP that you can't have with the SBP.

Dear HAL, and I know you'll read the Forums; please raise the per-drink limit for the EBP! $18 might be nice 🙂 or bring back some decent wines, and a real champagne for max $15. And please,... before our Koningsdam trip next summer ☀️

Does this help?

This is the wine listing in the Crow’s Nest from our cruise April - May, 2019.

there is sparkling wine there.  Including your choice.  

BCA08E48-3FB9-4999-8BE6-B464D57F00F0.thumb.jpeg.01c69535529972fc8e1c060f858ef745.jpeg

Remember, if you opt not to take the Elite package, there is happy Hour which will let you get 2 glasses for $20 + the service charge of course 😉 

In February of this year, they still offered Nicolas F. with the EBP on NA but I found it on no menu anywhere and I hunted!  I just asked the first bartender I met at the lido pool bar, " What is the best Champagne available with the Elite Beverage Package? " He gave me "the Nicolas Champagne" as he called it. So I always asked for "the Nicolas Champagne" where ever I was and got it. All this said, they have been and are currently still making changes to stock and menus so ymmv. I too hope they keep a legitimate Champagne on the EBP. 

• Like 1

Somebody mentioned a change in "beverage supplier" played into the topic and that is simply not true.  HAL (and other cruise lines) simply purchase the products they please and the suppliers either fulfill the order or the cruise line can purchase the products from other suppliers.  NF is a very popular French Champagne with multiple cruise lines (i.e. MSC, Seabourn, HAL, etc) because it is a lower price half-decent real French Champagne.   If HAL chooses to not make it available for a drink package that is simply a business decision because they prefer folks to drink less costly items (and HAL pockets the extra profits).  

Hank

P.S.  Le Grand Courtage, showing on the wine list, is not Champagne.  It is an OK French sparkling wine.  The missing Nicholas Feuillatte is a true French Champagne.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

Belgen only eat Vlaamse Frieten met mayonaise..

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Somebody mentioned a change in "beverage supplier" played into the topic and that is simply not true

That is not what I was told by more than one member of the Beverage Department including the Nieuw Statendam's Beverage Manager.

10 hours ago, kazu said:

Does this help?

This is the wine listing in the Crow’s Nest from our cruise April - May, 2019.

there is sparkling wine there.  Including your choice.  

BCA08E48-3FB9-4999-8BE6-B464D57F00F0.thumb.jpeg.01c69535529972fc8e1c060f858ef745.jpeg

Remember, if you opt not to take the Elite package, there is happy Hour which will let you get 2 glasses for $20 + the service charge of course 😉 

Thank! I've seen the menu @Roger Jetts website. 

Champagne is a sparkling wine... but a sparkling wine isn't always champagne. 

Almost the same as: live to eat, or eat to live.... but I'm a Dutchy who lives to eat. So I enjoy a glass of champagne, starting with my breakfast (only during vacations).