Laundry

tytanbri

How often do they offer a laundry discount by the bag? We have always use the self laundry facilities but may want to use their wash and fold service. I know that they have a list by item also but those costs are crazy. Also, how much fits in the bag?

Edited by tytanbri

6 of those bags stuffed completely full ($90 worth) will fit into 1 washing machine load at the self service launderette ($3 to wash, $3 to dry)

That's why I always wash our own clothes rather than send them off. That $84 savings is worth it to me. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

6 of those bags stuffed completely full ($90 worth) will fit into 1 washing machine load at the self service launderette ($3 to wash, $3 to dry)

That's why I always wash our own clothes rather than send them off. That $84 savings is worth it to me. 

Ok. I guess that will only happen if can’t use facilities for some reason.

On our last 7 day sailing the laundry special (fill the bag for $15) was one time during the week.  My husband had somehow managed to get grease (a dark black smudge) on his good light colored pants.  I did not want to mess with trying to remove the grease.  I rolled everything tight and was able to get 2 pairs of men's slacks, 3 polo shirts, one pair of shorts and various under clothing into the bag.  We travel with a carry on per person and find it worth the $15 to have some things laundered.  It is all delivered the next morning.   

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

and on the other side of the coin, that $84 is the best money I've ever spent to make sure my wife is enjoying HER vacation also. She also deserves that time to relax, enjoy her beverage of choice, or just sleep in and do nothing.

• Like 1

do you really need to do 6 bags of laundry on a 7 day cruise? All you need to wash is undies and T's, if anything at all. 

10 hours ago, coevan said:

do you really need to do 6 bags of laundry on a 7 day cruise? All you need to wash is undies and T's, if anything at all. 

In case you forgot, not everyone vacations the same, packs the same, etc.

When we go on a cruise, we don't just cruise. We typically spend at least a week in the port city pre-cruise, then a week post-cruise as well and make it a 3 week vacation. During that point, our family of 4 needs to wash clothes because we only take 1 suitcase each. 

Doing laundry really isn't a big deal to me. I put the clothes in the washer as we head to dinner. When we're done with dinner 45 minutes later I go back and switch the clothes to the dryer. I go grab a drink or something, then go back 45 minutes or an hour later whenever they're done, take them back to the cabin and drop them off. Then once my wife falls asleep, I'll fold them and everything is done. 

I remember there used to be a well publicized offer once during the cruise.  On my last couple of cruises, it wasn't as well publicized.  So, I simply asked the steward for the special bag and he brought it the day I asked for it.  I don't know if I asked for it on the day the special is run, or if it's just a matter of asking for the bag.  It might be ship specific? or cruise specific? Check with your steward.  Two of us manage to fit a week's worth of laundry, underwear, t-shirts, shorts, shirts, into that bag somehow.  

Edited by naxer
clarity

13 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

This would be me, figuring out how much I could save  ☺️

In case you forgot, not everyone vacations the same, packs the same, etc.

When we go on a cruise, we don't just cruise. We typically spend at least a week in the port city pre-cruise, then a week post-cruise as well and make it a 3 week vacation. During that point, our family of 4 needs to wash clothes because we only take 1 suitcase each. 

Doing laundry really isn't a big deal to me. I put the clothes in the washer as we head to dinner. When we're done with dinner 45 minutes later I go back and switch the clothes to the dryer. I go grab a drink or something, then go back 45 minutes or an hour later whenever they're done, take them back to the cabin and drop them off. Then once my wife falls asleep, I'll fold them and everything is done. 

I do the same thing.  Put laundry in, go eat breakfast, go back and switch over to the dryer, off to do something else then quickly fold the clothes.  With all the walking back and forth it counts as a little exercise while on the ship.  If you add up all the time you spend putting the clothes in, changing over and folding it adds up to about a half hour excluding time spent getting there.  It's worth it to me.

15 hours ago, tytanbri said:

how much fits in the bag?

I wanted to focus on this since others covered the rest of your questions.

I found that I'm able to cram in 4-6 shirts (tees, polo, long sleeve), 4-6 pairs of socks, and 4-6 boxers in a single bag.  Pants take up considerably more room.  Your mileage may vary.

Laundry is a nice Platinum perk that I enjoy.

I've never used the laundry service. Are your clothes washed with clothes from other cabin guests?  Have you ever not received an item back from laundering?  This is my fear.

14 minutes ago, conjr said:

I've never used the laundry service. Are your clothes washed with clothes from other cabin guests?  Have you ever not received an item back from laundering?  This is my fear.

I think we may need to run a load or two in an effort to avoid paying extra for additional luggage in flight. I don’t mind doing a load of laundry at all, but am wondering how available the machines are? Are the frequently being used?

12 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

I think we may need to run a load or two in an effort to avoid paying extra for additional luggage in flight. I don’t mind doing a load of laundry at all, but am wondering how available the machines are? Are the frequently being used?

I try to avoid laundry, period; especially on vacation.  I'm not sure how available the machines are.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:31 AM, bnbeyer said:

If you have an extended balcony suite, is laundry service free?

no and we have never not received our laundry back and we are Platinum and do laundry every cruise. 

15 hours ago, conjr said:

I'm pretty sure that the laundry is all done together. We've sent laundry out 9 times and only once did an item go missing, a pair of underwear. They offered compensation but I didn't figure it was worth a trip to guest services for a pair of tighty whities. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 11:33 AM, coevan said:

no and we have never not received our laundry back and we are Platinum and do laundry every cruise. 

Actually, yes, we did get one bag of laundry for free in the suite.  I ended up doing one load of laundry also, and that was all we needed.