Temperature in public areas on Alaska cruises!

Whitetrike

DW and I are starting to gather clothes to pack for our May 25th cruise on the Royal to Alaska.  The question of the temperature in public areas of the ship such as dining rooms and theater came up.  We are not usually bothered by feeling cool or cold in most situations.  Is a long sleeved shirt or light jacket usually needed while away from your cabin while aboard?

We were on the Royal 2 years ago.  Yes, a sweater or light jacket is usually needed as far as I am concerned.  I'd sit on our balcony after meals to warm up.  I'm not saying it's too cold on board but the a/c was usually blasting (we were in the Caribbean so it was warmer outside than inside).

Edited by Diver2014

33 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

On AK cruises, they keep the interior spaces cozy warm because most people aren’t used to the cold temperatures. You often see people in jeans, sweaters, and fleece, but then you’ll also see people in short sleeves. 

I second this opinion.  I'll even add that it is not uncommon, at all, to see people (OK, it's always a guy.) wearing shorts--they, usually, don't last very long on the promenade deck, though.  😁

Personally, on sea days I, usually, wear long-sleeved T-shirts for breakfast or hanging around in the afternoon.  I have a limited supply, however.  So, when I send them out to be laundered, I am comfortable in a short-sleeved shirt.  When we go to dinner, I usually wear a long-sleeved collared shirt or a pull-over sweater with slacks.

I really don't know if any of this is helpful, however.  What is comfortable for me, may not be comfortable for somebody else.

10 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I second this opinion.  I'll even add that it is not uncommon, at all, to see people (OK, it's always a guy.) wearing shorts--they, usually, don't last very long on the promenade deck, though.  😁

Personally, on sea days I, usually, wear long-sleeved T-shirts for breakfast or hanging around in the afternoon.  I have a limited supply, however.  So, when I send them out to be laundered, I am comfortable in a short-sleeved shirt.  When we go to dinner, I usually wear a long-sleeved collared shirt or a pull-over sweater with slacks.

I really don't know if any of this is helpful, however.  What is comfortable for me, may not be comfortable for somebody else.

Thanks for your response XBGuy.  What you mentioned is similar to how I plan to dress.  My wife however may require heavier"cold weather" clothes as she doesn't usually enjoy cooler temperatures!!  It looks like the weather will be warmish the week we're in Alaska with daytime temperatures forecast into the low 60s.  I'm looking forward to that! 

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2019 at 12:18 PM, cruisequeen4ever said:

On AK cruises, they keep the interior spaces cozy warm because most people aren’t used to the cold temperatures. You often see people in jeans, sweaters, and fleece, but then you’ll also see people in short sleeves. 

I looked at photos from our two Alaska cruises and noted that in most photos, I had on a long sleeved blouse, but no sweater or jacket.  Hope this helps.

If you are comfortable in cold weather. Northern people. A light sweater or a nice long sleeved top. However if you are from the south like Florida, we are. A much heavier sweater or a light jacket. Yup, men will wear shorts. At one time my husband had a pair of cordaroy shorts. Called them his winter shorts😎 Might want to reconsider the pool though. Unless it is kept warm. Hot tub for sure. Have the bath robe very handy when you get out.

I find that the temperature inside the ship tends to be about "room temperature".  Of course, like anywhere on land (restaurants, theaters, shops, etc.) that can vary a bit, and what one person thinks is comfortable, another might feel is chilly or too warm.  I wear long and short sleeves during the day, depending on the outdoor weather, and I am generally comfortable either way.  I tend to wear short sleeves in the evenings and don't feel that I need a sweater. I do wear shorts (and I'm female! 🙄) if it is over about 65 F, but I'm from the Seattle area where it is generally cool in the summer.  I also use the pools and hot tubs and I'm never tacky enough to use bath robes on deck. A lightweight pool cover up is enough for me.

I know it can vary a lot given the month, but we were there in mid-May.

Juneau got into the seventies, Skagway into the high sixties and Ketchikan was cold (about 50) and raining the day we were there.  Glacier Bay we went on the Promenade deck for viewing.  I had on an early Spring/early Fall thickness of coat (it was also water proof and I wore it in Ketchikan).  While at sea, sometimes the outside decks were very windy and cold, but it was okay to go across the Lido Deck with a fleece hoodie or wind breaker on to get my favorite milk shake from the specialty coffee place and hubby got his complimentary ice cream cone.

Someone here posted it was 90 in Anchorage, so I guess you never know what it will be where and when for sure, but be prepared.  I was glad I was.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:18 AM, cruisequeen4ever said:

Not on the one I was on. DH & I wore our heavy jackets. 

We sailed late August/Labor Day and the only day we were truly cold was Glacier Bay.  We brought way too many clothes for the trip.  The interior of the ship was comfortable and the wind on sea days required a jacket.  For shore excursions we had long sleeves and fleece.

right now Alaska is having a heat wave it has been in the 80-90 F in some places,  it would not hurt to be prepared with some shorts and short sleeve just in case. Carry clothes you can layer.