Special laundry requests on NS possible?

surgie

I'm considering purchasing the daily laundry package on NS for a 2-week British Isles cruise. Wondering if they honor requests such as cold water wash or return item damp so I can line dry in the room? I'm probably not a candidate for sending out laundry as I'm too picky but I also hate packing for 2-weeks.

DW is also very particular about our laundry. We find dry cleaning to be the best way to deal with delicate items, and we have been very successful. You will definitely not get things back damp. I don't believe they do cold water wash, but could be wrong on that.

Cold water wash can be done. Under special instructions just put Cold Water Wash / Low Heat Dry. I have been told and saw 1st hand during 4 ship tours thru laundry area that it is a very common request that is fulfilled. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, freestyling said:

Cold water wash can be done. Under special instructions just put Cold Water Wash / Low Heat Dry. I have been told and saw 1st hand during 4 ship tours thru laundry area that it is a very common request that is fulfilled. 

Thanks. Once we stopped handing laundry that needed cold water wash/low heat dry because of shrinkage and we concluded that the labels in the laundry were not checked. Now I finally know what to do. Thanks again!

Absolutely - I've found the HAL laundry staff to be very accommodating IF you make it very clear (English is probably not their first language so write clearly) what you are requesting.  At home I launder everything except towels in cold water, and like you, OP, I'm kind of picky about my laundry, but after the first couple of cruises I took the plunge and started sending things - with instructions - that I'd been too worried to send before, and they have always come back great.  The one time I had something shrink it was when I had failed to write on my form "no hot dryer. Cold water wash".  The only other complaint I've had is they tend to iron a hard crease into ALL pants and trousers.  I don't want myt jeans and most other pants ironed with a crease at all, so that's the other notation I always write on the form.  Now that I've been a 4 star mariner for quite some time, and have used the laundry services on all HAL ships except Prinsendam and Koningsdam, I pack much lighter now, which makes everything easier.  So, to answer your question more succinctly: YES! (to making special requests - but probably "no" to returning damp) 🙂

Edited by Moriah
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, freestyling said:

Thank you so much for that info.  I never realized it could be done.  Fortunately, so far I have never had a problem with the laundry, although I do a lot of hand washing of certain items.

After more than 150 laundry loads, I have never had a loss or shrinkage as long as I write beside the item "cold wash and dry warm" with a note also in the comments section..  Packing for just three days is my normal packing plan. 

It is important to note that there is no need to impress your fellow passengers that you will never see again.

I have a tendency to sort my items by cold or warm wash bags (the joy of 5 star free laundry!), and low dry or warm dry.  I write it in BIG letters and have had no issues.  As for lost items, we had one shirt that wasn't ours show up in our laundry, but it found it's way home.  One of Bill's shirts disappeared, but was found within 24 hours.  I am not sure how they do it, but they are very good at ferreting out misplaced items.

They are also honest.  Once Bill left a sizeable amount of cash in his pants pocket, and it was returned.  We sent a "thank you" reward to the laundry, and heard from our room steward that the person in the laundry who discovered and returned the cash was very grateful for the "tip". 

• Like 1

We send out our laundry every cruise on a daily basis.  There is usually a price for a bag of laundry, as much has you can stuff into the bag.  We decided for our upcoming cruise to do the prepaid laundry package and I think it will be more cost effective for us since we use it so often.  We have had only one laundry "problem".  We received a call from the front desk about an issue with one of my husband's shirts.  They asked if we could come and speak with them.  They were very nice and apologetic, even showed us the shirt, which had been ruined and gave us a credit of some kind (don't remember what it was).  We didn't really mind, it was an older shirt of his and not a real loss.

• Like 1