Credit Card in Russia

CanuckinSMA

Six of us going on a Baltic Cruise in August.  Two of us (me!) want to book our tour with a private company as we feel we'll have smaller numbers and more personalized service. Four of our group insist they will never use a credit card in Russia "(if they can hack the U.S. election, they can hack my credit card!!)" and want to go on the ship excursions...ok so my question is ... is there any way of booking a tour without paying with credit card?  And please don't tell me that it won't happen.  They won't believe it.  Thanks!

Edited by CanuckinSMA
forgot something

22 minutes ago, CanuckinSMA said:

Six of us going on a Baltic Cruise in August.  Two of us (me!) want to book our tour with a private company as we feel we'll have smaller numbers and more personalized service. Four of our group insist they will never use a credit card in Russia "(if they can hack the U.S. election, they can hack my credit card!!)" and want to go on the ship excursions...ok so my question is ... is there any way of booking a tour without paying with credit card?  And please don't tell me that it won't happen.  They won't believe it.  Thanks!

I believe you should ask the specific tour company you plan to use what they will accept for reservation and payment.

Never say “never” but tell them they have at least as much chance as getting their card hacked in the USA. I’ve used my credit card in many countries (not Russia) - only problem I ever had was a debit card copied in Vegas ATM and RBC picked up on it immediately and cancelled the card. I intend to use my credit card in Russia.

As for Russia hacking the election........well, can’t go there except to say LOL. 

From what I’ve read.....you’ll probably do better on a private tour. Guess you could try to contact Celebrity to find out how big their tours are.

• Like 1

We toured with Alla Tours 2 years in May and no issues at all - they processed the tour charges in Russian Rubles and VISA converted back to Canadian $ on my normal statement.

Your credit card can be hacked/compromised anywhere.  In March 2018 I was on a cruise in the Caribbean, on the day we were in St Maarten my card was used to by two NYC Transit passes... lol

As mentioned, check with the tour companies.  A few years ago we used Red October and they took cash (US $) but that may have changed.

We used Best Guides last year and had no problem using credit card. You could see if the tour company will accept payment through PayPal. That way your credit card number isn't shared with the tour company.

1 hour ago, Jack Staff said:

We toured St Petes with SPB and did not have any problems.

Ditto.

We took the 2 day tour with SPB and were very pleased with it.  It was very well run and we had a great tour guide who spoke flawless English. 

We contacted them in advance and Viktoria promptly replied and answered all our questions. 

The tour operators include you in their group visa so you do not need to obtain your own visa.

If you would like to contact them, here is a link to their website

SPB Tours | Shore Excursions and City Tours in St. Petersburg, Germany, Scandinavia and Estonia with Viktoria

3 hours ago, CanuckinSMA said:

We did a river cruise of Russia that included several days in Moscow and St. Pete.   This was in 2011.   I used my visa card a few times and never had any problems.   AmEx is generally not an option, although we did see a couple of places in St. Pete where you could use you AmEx.

If you are really that paranoid about hackers, then you would never use a credit card in many places.

We used Alla in St. Petersburg with no problems. I paid with my AmEx credit card. No issues. Loved bypassing the hordes from the Celebrity tour at the Hermitage. We got straight in. No standing in line. If you really want to see things, book a private tour. And if your friends don’t want to, go without them. 

In 2015 we used SPB tours and paid at the end of the first day in $US by C.C I choose that method as it was stipulated that only new notes would be accepted..

I think it’s worth noting that you will need to supply your passport number, so that your tour ticket which includes your visa can be sent to you by e mail. This needs to be printed out and taken with you. It will be checked along with your passport at passport control.

3 hours ago, peimurphy said:

We toured with Alla Tours 2 years in May and no issues at all - they processed the tour charges in Russian Rubles and VISA converted back to Canadian $ on my normal statement.

I called my credit card company prior to leaving and was surprised by how nonchalant they were about going to Russia.  Informed that because my card had the "chip", there was no danger in using it.  

We also used Alla in all the Baltic ports and loved it.  The most people we had in the group was 14 and that was just for Russia.  Otherwise there were only 11 of us.  Expect 40-50 on a ship's excursion.  

We paid for all the excursions in a lump sum in Russia.  The guide informed us what the current dollar to rubles rate was that morning.  Our cost for 5 tours was far below the ship cost and I'm sure we saw far more.   For example, we had early access to the Hermitage Museum and left as the ship tour was waiting in the rain to enter.

My review:  

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=587874

Edited by shofer

Used Red October in St. Petersburg for two day private tour for just the two of us. NO LiNES to wait in, basic itinerary was added onto by us with additional suggestions made by our guide as we actually toured. Best money ever spent. Deposit and total balance due (paid in St. Petersburg) all done on my CapitalOne Visa card. No problems, no extra charges. Simply notified CapitalOne prior to leaving.

8 hours ago, CanuckinSMA said:

I will do that. Thank you.  But could you tell me approximately how many people we could expect to be on a St. Petersburg shore excursion with Celebrity?  

Standard large tour buses - 35-40 people per coach? There will be multiple buses as well.