Port or Starboard for an Alaskan cruise?

13cheermom

Just wondering if there is a preference for a port vs. starboard side for a balcony room?  I know a lot of people say to not even bother with a balcony, however this is a bucket list cruise for us so we want to get a balcony room.  Thanks!

It depends on itinerary (RT, NB, SB). Most people want to be be on land side and it doesn't matter on RT cruise.

IMO - it doesn't matter. Though people try to be Starboard on NB and Port on SB. I have been on both and haven't noticed a difference.

14 minutes ago, Coral said:

It depends on itinerary (RT, NB, SB). Most people want to be be on land side and it doesn't matter on RT cruise.

IMO - it doesn't matter. Though people try to be Starboard on NB and Port on SB. I have been on both and haven't noticed a difference.

Sorry, yes this is a RT from Seattle including Glacier Bay itinerary.  I have heard the they turn the ship around in the Bay so it doesn't matter then, however I just wondered about sailing out of Seattle and other ports which would be better for views.  Thanks!

48 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

Sorry, yes this is a RT from Seattle including Glacier Bay itinerary.  I have heard the they turn the ship around in the Bay so it doesn't matter then, however I just wondered about sailing out of Seattle and other ports which would be better for views.  Thanks!

Since your trip is an RT it doesn't matter if you are port or starboard during open water cruising. You will have an opportunity to see the land portion and open water portion. Depending on weather conditions you will find yourself being on deck vs. your balcony, most of the time, while in Glacier Bay and yes the ship will do a 180. If you want to watch the ship dock or leave from your balcony it is a flip of the coin on which side the ship will approach the dock.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Just considering Glacier Bay, starboard cabins will be closer to shore for several hours during the transit of the bay headed towards Margerie Glacier and again heading out of the bay.  Margerie is where the boat turns.  Although, it’s rarely recommended to stay on your balcony in Glacier Bay. Being on deck is the best spot.

As I don't stay in our cabin while cruising Alaska, that's what I recommend.  I like to take photos and being able to move around on the open decks, including the more-protected Promenade deck like the Star P has, gives me the most opportunities.  If a person stays in their cabin, they'll miss half the views IMHO, whether they want to take photos or just enjoy various kinds of scenery.  Yes, the ships do slowly rotate while at Margerie Glacier and, yes, it can be cold outside while there (dress appropriately!), but besides the coastal scenery there are also seals, walruses, seabirds, etc. to be seen when outside.  Not to mention hearing the sound of the glacier calving.

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

As I don't stay in our cabin while cruising Alaska, that's what I recommend.  I like to take photos and being able to move around on the open decks, including the more-protected Promenade deck like the Star P has, gives me the most opportunities.  If a person stays in their cabin, they'll miss half the views IMHO, whether they want to take photos or just enjoy various kinds of scenery.  Yes, the ships do slowly rotate while at Margerie Glacier and, yes, it can be cold outside while there (dress appropriately!), but besides the coastal scenery there are also seals, walruses, seabirds, etc. to be seen when outside.  Not to mention hearing the sound of the glacier calving.

I am also in the camp about not staying in your balcony on Glacier Day. I move around to wherever is the best view. I also like Deck 7 Promenade as it is covered and not crowded. Everyone goes to the top deck. Bring ear protection and gloves and plan on being outside all day - it is a gorgeous day.

• Like 1

After 5 cruises to Alaska, I have found that port or starboard  side doesn't really matter.  

You never know when or where sea life or wild life will be spotted.  All the ships visiting glaciers do a complete 360 turn very slowly so everyone gets to see the entire glacier.  I have done Alaska cruise/land tours, 10 day cruises from SFO, sailed out of Seattle and Vancouver. You just never know. 

Last September we were in a rear facing suite. Had continental breakfast for other family members traveling in other cabins delivered and we enjoyed glacier bay from our balcony.  Seating for all on the balcony, or we could go inside.

Just enjoy every minute on your cruise.

• Like 1

Although most ships rotate 360, not all do. I watched the Coral Princess turn once and then sit with the starboard side towards Margerie Glacier for the next hour. Might have been due to a small ship being close by. On a Holland trip once we sat bow towards Margerie and then did short 45 degree turns back and forth.

Thanks for all the helpful information from everyone!  I know everyone has there own opinion, we actually booked an aft rear facing balcony but the last one near port side, but questioning if it would've been better to book the starboard side instead.  We do plan on going up top deck also to view, however I really like the balcony just to be able to go out whenever you like to see what's outside at the moment.  We have never booked an aft balcony previously due to the heat and not much wind back there, however I thought for an Alaskan cruise that might be a good factor with the cold.  Regardless will be looking forward to this cruise next year!

For us, we went with a corner aft. We decided Port side, only because we had starboard on the our last cruise. After booking I realized I probably just confused us needing to remember to go to the other side of the elevators hahaha

We've been on 15 Alaska cruises out of Seattle, we do this cruise every year. We've had balcony cabins on both the Port and Starboard sides. My opinion balcony cabins on the Starboard side are the best cabins for viewing the sights. The problem is it's to cold to spend much time out on the balcony, we'll move around the upper deck areas or down on the promenade deck when we are up in Glacier or up in Tracy Arm. With that said now we book a cabin on Deck 8 Emerald deck. Most of the cruise you'll be a considerable ways away from land. We always bring a good pair of binoculars. 

There is one difference that cannot be disputed and that is the positioning of the ship in relation to the sun. The route of travel is pretty much N/S which means that while on a NB cruise the sun will rise on the starboard side and set on the port side. The ship travels with mountains on both sides for much of the journey (with the exception being cruises that veer west of Vancouver Island which has land on the starboard side and open water to port while heading north.)  In places where there are mountains on both sides, it will take a while for the sun to rise over the mountains on the starboard side and that side will be cast in shadows for much of the morning. Whereas on the port side the sunlight from the east will catch the mountains to the west providing for far more interesting photos (if you are shooting from your balcony.)  Since morning light is often best for photos, port has a decided advantage going north and vice versa heading south. But this only matters if morning photography is important to you, and you plan to shoot mostly from your balcony. Any disadvantage that one finds in composing a shot can be easily overcome by heading out on deck and walking around. But I can predict with some certainty that on a NB cruise, a morning photographer will find most of his/her keeper shots to be aimed off the port side and vice versa on a SB cruise, if lighting composition is what one is going for. But outside of photography concerns, I'd say that there is no need to stress over cabin location. 

We have done five AK cruises (four round trippers and one southbound) and number six is scheduled for September (another round tripper).  For the southbound cruise we had an inside cabin.  For all the round trippers we were in balcony cabins.  We have had balcony cabins on both the port and the starboard side.  I cannot think of one advantage of one side over the other.

The good news is that Alaska is filled with natural wonders.  The (possibly unfortunate) reality is that no matter where you are on the ship, you will miss something on the other side.  I have become comfortable with that reality.

I also think it is perfectly fine to view Glacier Bay from your balcony.  We've done it twice.  We can hear the glacier cracking, just fine--same for Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord.  On our last cruise we were thrilled by the scads (technical term meaning "many") of sea otters that we saw from our balcony just before leaving Glacier Bay..  If we get cold, we step back into the cabin for a few minutes.  I do not understand the logic of those who insist that it's cold on the balcony, and, so, the logical thing to do is to go up to the upper deck.  No, the upper deck is cold, also.  If it is windy, the upper decks will, probably, be colder than most balconies.

The previous posters comments made me consider the sun.  Our last AK cruise was just a few weeks ago, and it was outrageously sunny.  We took some amazing pictures and (digital photography making every picture free) many not so amazing ones.  The thing is, however, there were several mornings where the sun coming in through the slider actually made the cabin uncomfortably warm.  Hilarious.

OP, you are going to have a wonderful experience.  Bon Voyage