How much would you pay for Haven?

To tell a sea story:

We did a two night Celebrity from Vancouver to Seattle. It was a late season re-po after the Alaskan summer run. What it really was was a way to dump their sewage tanks that according to the USCG had to be done 100 miles off shore. So we went 100 miles offshore in a severe storm, and spent about 14 hours under severe weather conditions. We had two small children. Both my wife and I were totally incapacitated by sea sickness. She was puking in the toilet, and I was puking in the bathtub. Neither of us could stand up after 10 hours or so of vomiting. We tried to call the sickbay, but were told that there was a line of 300 people in the passageway, and that the ship was on lockdown, and unless it was a medical emergency we should remain in our cabin. That took 14 hours.  When we finally returned to calmer waters the entire ship smelled of vomit. It was sprayed everywhere. Everywhere. Puddles of it. Splashed on the walls. Especially near the elevators and staircases. On the walls, the floor, everywhere.

We eventually recovered a little, and went out desperately looking for food for our little kids. The buffet was closed. Everything was closed. The crew were restricted to quarters. In the shopping area, there was a crewman mopping up the duty free store. The floor was squishy from broken liquor bottles, and there was broken glass everywhere. The store had been trashed. He said that the only reason the ship turned around was because bottles were getting tossed off the shelves in the bars. Dinner that night was a lonely affair.

I spent the next two weeks feeling like I had been in a bar fight from the projectile vomiting where I tore my rib muscles. My son was five at the time. He is 19 now, and still talks about the time Mom and Dad were in the bathroom in the storm.

I'm actually ex Navy. If we had had an engineering failure where we were located IMHO the Costa Concordia incident would have looked like a shore excursion.

I am never going anywhere near Celebrity ever again.

5 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

To tell a sea story:

We did a two night Celebrity from Vancouver to Seattle. It was a late season re-po after the Alaskan summer run. What it really was was a way to dump their sewage tanks that according to the USCG had to be done 100 miles off shore. So we went 100 miles offshore in a severe storm, and spent about 14 hours under severe weather conditions. We had two small children. Both my wife and I were totally incapacitated by sea sickness. She was puking in the toilet, and I was puking in the bathtub. Neither of us could stand up after 10 hours or so of vomiting. We tried to call the sickbay, but were told that there was a line of 300 people in the passageway, and that the ship was on lockdown, and unless it was a medical emergency we should remain in our cabin. That took 14 hours.  When we finally returned to calmer waters the entire ship smelled of vomit. It was sprayed everywhere. Everywhere. Puddles of it. Splashed on the walls. Especially near the elevators and staircases. On the walls, the floor, everywhere.

We eventually recovered a little, and went out desperately looking for food for our little kids. The buffet was closed. Everything was closed. The crew were restricted to quarters. In the shopping area, there was a crewman mopping up the duty free store. The floor was squishy from broken liquor bottles, and there was broken glass everywhere. The store had been trashed. He said that the only reason the ship turned around was because bottles were getting tossed off the shelves in the bars. Dinner that night was a lonely affair.

I spent the next two weeks feeling like I had been in a bar fight from the projectile vomiting where I tore my rib muscles. My son was five at the time. He is 19 now, and still talks about the time Mom and Dad were in the bathroom in the storm.

I'm actually ex Navy. If we had had an engineering failure where we were located IMHO the Costa Concordia incident would have looked like a shore excursion.

I am never going anywhere near Celebrity ever again.

Kind of like being on the Norway during the explosion then swearing NCL is the worst. Or Viking a few months ago in Norway. This happens to every single cruise line. If I used those standards I'd have to denounce cruising all together. 

Celebrity dominates the cruise critic rankings as the best line. Based on your complaints about the regular cabins on NCL, it seems a Celebrity Caribbean cruise would be right up your alley actually. 

We have sailed with Celebrity as well as IN the Haven.  On our last Celebrity sailing we were in one of the two largest cabins on the ship and the service was outstanding and I would go with Celebrity again in a heartbeat.

BUT all of the cruise lines are, IMO, trying to copy/emulate the whole "ship within a ship" concept that NCL came up with in the Haven.  Witness the "dedicated" dining venues on Royal as well as Celebrity and now Princess; the whole "suites only" thing.

As to what price would I pay to be in the Haven: whatever it costs because IMO the entire experience is superior and worth the money but to each their own.

And yes you CAN get it discounted through a discounter or at least get a lot of OBC. Now, if NCL would just figure out that unlimited internet access is becoming COMMON rather than this 3 hours worth for "free" routine...

Edited by Bootman4U

That’s one of the reasons I book the Haven, as well.  All totaled, my last Haven cruise (Spa Suite) was about $4,400 all in.  That was before $1,100 in OBC.  So, with all the perks, and the OBC, the actual fare for the Haven Spa Suite was $3,300.  For the Haven Experience, and the excellent levels of service, the drink package, the specialty dining, the 250 internet minutes,  etc, could not be beat.

In fairness, ½ of that OBC came from my TA and AMEX, the rest was from NCL because of me being a Platinum Latitude and it was given being in the Haven.

I like the mini suites on the Away class ships...extra bathroom space is nice...and the shower for 2. 🙂

Suits me and the Bride just fine.  I’d rather cruise more than pay for the Haven.  

That said, choices are good. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BNBR said:

Kind of like being on the Norway during the explosion then swearing NCL is the worst. Or Viking a few months ago in Norway. This happens to every single cruise line. If I used those standards I'd have to denounce cruising all together. 

Celebrity dominates the cruise critic rankings as the best line. Based on your complaints about the regular cabins on NCL, it seems a Celebrity Caribbean cruise would be right up your alley actually. 

Nah. I don't like the sun. Been there, done that.

5 hours ago, Bootman4U said:

Now, if NCL would just figure out that unlimited internet access is becoming COMMON rather than this 3 hours worth for "free" routine...

To be honest, the thought of a week without the internet and constant emails and text messages sounds strangely attractive somehow... (I know you get it in the towns, but I can still pretend to ignore people)

But I agree. It is hard to understand them charging for it. If I see a hotel charge for it I won't stay there unless I really have to. Over time they will be pressured into doing it. One Line will offer it, and that will make all the others follow.

50 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

To be honest, the thought of a week without the internet and constant emails and text messages sounds strangely attractive somehow... (I know you get it in the towns, but I can still pretend to ignore people)

But I agree. It is hard to understand them charging for it. If I see a hotel charge for it I won't stay there unless I really have to. Over time they will be pressured into doing it. One Line will offer it, and that will make all the others follow.

The thought of walking through an airport and NOT being run over by some goon who is staring at their cellphone as they navigate is even nicer.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

The thought of walking through an airport and NOT being run over by some goon who is staring at their cellphone as they navigate is even nicer.

Well said...folks cannot put down their device for a second.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:18 PM, BNBR said:

After sailing Haven, we would never waste money for it again.  If you like the courtyard concept, there are other lines that provide a MUCH better version with their standard rooms.  Otherwise, you get access to a decent restaurant with a menu that never changes and that's about it.  Whoopie.  Total waste of money.  And that courtyard can very well be full of kids, loud as heck, and anything but relaxing.

If you want a little more upscale experience, just go with a solstice class Celebrity ship.  The whole ship is like the Haven, but way better.

Otherwise, just save your money.  Or spend a little bit more on specialty dining (better than Haven restaurant).

THIS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wwwfla said:

THIS

Kids are awesome. I have two of them. Running and screaming kids make me feel that there is hope for humanity. Wealthy parents who cherish their offspring, and who will make sure they grow up to be highly valued members of the community? It doesn't get much better than that.

Or you can sit in the regular hot tubs with the dudes who have been in there drinking beer since 10.00am and have never got out to use the bathroom by 4.00pm. Never did figure out why the fresh water hot tubs taste salty... Right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elwood_98034 said:

Kids are awesome. I have two of them. Running and screaming kids make me feel that there is hope for humanity. Wealthy parents who cherish their offspring, and who will make sure they grow up to be highly valued members of the community? It doesn't get much better than that.

Or you can sit in the regular hot tubs with the dudes who have been in there drinking beer since 10.00am and have never got out to use the bathroom by 4.00pm. Never did figure out why the fresh water hot tubs taste salty... Right?

Your kids peeing in the hot tub is so much better than a man?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beccahoke said:

Your kids peeing in the hot tub is so much better than a man?

LMAO!  Really?  So, you more or less equate a child to a grown man?  Hysterical!  I do hope that neither of them are peeing in the hot tub....but one would hope that the grown man would know better.   Y’all just need to sail on a line that has adults only areas.  Note that NCL does not advertise the Haven as an adult only area.  So, no false advertising there...some false assumptions perhaps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nolanoel said:

Note that NCL does not advertise the Haven as an adult only area.  So, no false advertising there...some false assumptions perhaps.

They don't advertise it as an adult only area but "On top of that, complete privacy and tranquility are just steps away on a sundeck reserved exclusively for guests of The Haven" probably mean that the kids there shall not run and scream.

I don't mind children if they can behave but children running around and scream should not be welcome, I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

They don't advertise it as an adult only area but "On top of that, complete privacy and tranquility are just steps away on a sundeck reserved exclusively for guests of The Haven" probably mean that the kids there shall not run and scream.

I don't mind children if they can behave but children running around and scream should not be welcome, I think.

Used to be able to eat two kids for breakfast, now it's only one. Should we try to get back to the op's subject -- How much would you pay for Haven ?.-- We booked very late on the Epic to the Med we could only book the supposed last of all the Haven cabins, that being a spa suite. Then low and behold we were invited to bid for a 2 bedroom and the owners suite. Question is, if the Haven cabins were all booked out  how come they were offering these to bid on ? Oh well we put in our bids and just hope that one is accepted £500 each extra for the 2 bedroom suit and £600 each for the owners suit. The £500 each plus the original cost of the spa cabin would have made the total cost the same as the 2 bedroom cabin if that had been offered in the first place. Our last cruise on NCL was about 4 years ago when I don't believe  the bidding system existed.

Edited by Ron the Rev
typo

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Well by that advertisement, you’d expect your own private sundeck “complete privacy and tranquility”. I agree that kids shouldn’t run and scream. But I see many adults who automatically assume that kids=running and screaming, which is certainly not the case.

Edited by FLcruisergrl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron the Rev said:

Used to be able to eat two kids for breakfast, now it's only one. Should we try to get back to the op's subject -- How much would you pay for Haven ?.-- We booked very late on the Epic to the Med we could only book the supposed last of all the Haven cabins, that being a spa suite. Then low and behold we were invited to bid for a 2 bedroom and the owners suite. Question is, if the Haven cabins were all booked out  how come they were offering these to bid on ? Oh well we put in our bids and just hope that one is accepted £500 each extra for the 2 bedroom suit and £600 each for the owners suit. The £500 each plus the original cost of the spa cabin would have made the total cost the same as the 2 bedroom cabin if that had been offered in the first place. Our last cruise on NCL was about 4 years ago when I don't believe  the bidding system existed.

They put fully booked cabins up for bid in case there are last minute cancellations.   Have had that on my last two cruises....no cancellations.  

Our travel budget usually runs to about $20k a year. Last year we had an unexpected trip to Australia that we had to do after having already done a week or so in London, so it more than doubled. To be honest we are starting to struggle to find places that we really want to go to. So we just thought we would do another Alaskan cruise, as it is a few years since our last one.

We have paid $12,000 for our Haven H4 two bedroom. We talked about the Owners Suite, but the bathtub outlook isn't as nice. With excursions, souvenir t-shirts, and the usual NCL post cruise financial bloodletting, the price will easily increase to $16/17k. Maybe more. It depends if my wife spots any jewellery that she likes, because then her 'secret' credit card comes out, and I get sent to buy ice cream with the kids.

We are doing Haven after a good experience in a forward penthouse on the Sun years ago, and fairly average experiences on the Jewel and a Celebrity in standard cabins.

5 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

Our travel budget usually runs to about $20k a year. Last year we had an unexpected trip to Australia that we had to do after having already done a week or so in London, so it more than doubled. To be honest we are starting to struggle to find places that we really want to go to. So we just thought we would do another Alaskan cruise, as it is a few years since our last one.

We have paid $12,000 for our Haven H4 two bedroom. We talked about the Owners Suite, but the bathtub outlook isn't as nice. With excursions, souvenir t-shirts, and the usual NCL post cruise financial bloodletting, the price will easily increase to $16/17k. Maybe more. It depends if my wife spots any jewellery that she likes, because then her 'secret' credit card comes out, and I get sent to buy ice cream with the kids.

We are doing Haven after a good experience in a forward penthouse on the Sun years ago, and fairly average experiences on the Jewel and a Celebrity in standard cabins.

I need to get one of those "secret" credit cards! lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:11 AM, graphicguy said:

That’s one of the reasons I book the Haven, as well.  All totaled, my last Haven cruise (Spa Suite) was about $4,400 all in.  That was before $1,100 in OBC.  So, with all the perks, and the OBC, the actual fare for the Haven Spa Suite was $3,300.  For the Haven Experience, and the excellent levels of service, the drink package, the specialty dining, the 250 internet minutes,  etc, could not be beat.

In fairness, ½ of that OBC came from my TA and AMEX, the rest was from NCL because of me being a Platinum Latitude and it was given being in the Haven.

How did you manage to get OBC through AmEx if you don’t mind me asking? We used to get $500 OBC from AmEx but haven’t seen that promo in years. 🙂 

4 hours ago, CdnCruiseFan said:

How did you manage to get OBC through AmEx if you don’t mind me asking? We used to get $500 OBC from AmEx but haven’t seen that promo in years. 🙂 

I believe AMEX platinum still offers it.  Just used it on my Escape Cruise in Feb.  It also varies by cruise line.  AMEX offers NO OBC for MSC cruises, for example

For NCL I believe it’s $100 OBC for Interior Cabin, $200 for a Balcony/mini-suite, $300 for Haven Suite and “full suites”.

I remember when AMEX did the $500 OBC.  It wasn’t so long ago, but I haven’t seen that one in a while, either.

Also, make sure your TA passes the OBC on to you.  Some won’t...not sure why.

• Thanks 1