Compensation

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Then here  you go!

And I know that you are aware of this thread, because you posted on it  😉

guilty! I just get so tired with the entitlement of some people on CC and on board. It embarrasses me to no end when people do this on board. I will only complain if it is something serious and only after I ask to get it fixed and it isn't. The only time I can think of is when our room was sweltering for days. Im talking mid 80s. 

I guess we have been lucky. In all the cruises we have been on we have never had an issue so bad that we thought it should be addressed with some kind of compensation.  

May all of your problems be small ones.  🙂

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:17 PM, JennyB1977 said:

I appreciate all of the previous posts. However, I was really hoping to read some of the "unreasonable" things folks have heard 😉

Two women, at the PSD, demanding full cruise credit because the Cabin Steward forgot

to replace the face clothes.

Last day of a far east Cruise, a couple demanding credit for all of the Ships tours that they

had taken.

5 hours ago, CruisenOne said:

Two women, at the PSD, demanding full cruise credit because the Cabin Steward forgot

to replace the face clothes.

Last day of a far east Cruise, a couple demanding credit for all of the Ships tours that they

had taken.

bullcrap! really? 

2 hours ago, caffeine_demon said:

There was a youtube video I saw the other day where a couple had asked for a full refund on their cruise because...

wait for it....

"One morning, the toast at breakfast was slightly burnt"....

you're lying!?!?! that is insane. I've got to find this video.  

I was on a cruise years ago that was supposed to go to port canaveral, private island, Nassau, and Freeport. Well, we missed the private island cause the water was too rocky to tender. Mind, this was a cruise leaving from NY in early March so most people were expecting rocky seas. And instead of the private island, we ended up having an overnight in Nassau, which I think was great. 

So I’m on line for guest services because my credit card number was stolen and I wanted to switch my account to a different card. The person ahead of me starts yelling that they booked this craptastic cruise just because of the private island, that he needed to go to the beach and the other ports had horrible beaches and it’s a big ship, why couldn’t they let us off at the private island, the staff was just lazy cause they didn’t want to have to work on shore that day, seriously just going on and on and on. Of course demanding a refund of this cruise as well as credit towards a future cruise because his vacation was absolutely ruined. I couldn’t do that job. 

• Like 1

We had a very poor excursion in Boston to the Salem Witch Museum.  We, and others, brought the problems to the attention of guest services and they took notes and offered a 30% refund.

Another cruise my DH had a totally unacceptable spa treatment.  No one on the ship would address the issue to our satisfaction, basically saying "too bad". We continued with the corporate offices when we got home. They put us in touch with the company running the spa and we got a full refund.

In both cases we were calm and polite and persistent in the case of the spa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soozles said:

I was on a cruise years ago that was supposed to go to port canaveral, private island, Nassau, and Freeport. Well, we missed the private island cause the water was too rocky to tender. Mind, this was a cruise leaving from NY in early March so most people were expecting rocky seas. And instead of the private island, we ended up having an overnight in Nassau, which I think was great. 

So I’m on line for guest services because my credit card number was stolen and I wanted to switch my account to a different card. The person ahead of me starts yelling that they booked this craptastic cruise just because of the private island, that he needed to go to the beach and the other ports had horrible beaches and it’s a big ship, why couldn’t they let us off at the private island, the staff was just lazy cause they didn’t want to have to work on shore that day, seriously just going on and on and on. Of course demanding a refund of this cruise as well as credit towards a future cruise because his vacation was absolutely ruined. I couldn’t do that job. 

That is really horrible. The times that we have had to miss a port (all private islands) they compensate everyone handsomely for it.

4 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

That is really horrible. The times that we have had to miss a port (all private islands) they compensate everyone handsomely for it.

Really? I’ve never been compensated more than the port fees and a refund of all shore excursions. We didn’t pay anything extra for the overnight in Bermuda. In the contract, they don’t guarantee that you will make it to all the ports and that the cruise ports of call can change, so they’re not obligated to give anything. We’ve missed several ports that I can recall on over 20 cruises across 4 different cruise lines. 

I have never had an issue on a cruise where I felt I needed to bring it to the attention of staff, let alone ask for some sort of service recovery.  That said, maybe it's because I am work in Guest Services at hotels as my 2nd career and I am used to being abused by "guests" when every little thing is a major catastrophe.  I always remind myself of all those nasty guests when I travel and I promise myself I will roll with things and not be an entitled twit.  If I see something wrong with a room that I know could irk the next guest, I will let someone at Guest Services know what it is, tell them I'm OK with it, but they may want to off market that room and correct the problem.  Since I'm trained to inspect rooms prior to guest arrivals, I subconsciously do an inspection of my own room.  At my hotels, yes, I'd report it right away and off market the room (got to keep up those Forbes standards) until it was fixed if it is an engineering issue, or have a housekeeper come and re-clean or replace something.  But, when I travel, I don't sweat the little things - if I need something that's missing, I'll just call and politely ask for another towel or lotion that did not get replaced at daily service.  

If you want stories of people throwing hissy fits, stamping their feet, calling me a liar or lazy, and demanding their money back or a free future stay, just let me know...  I have no problem doing everything I can (and sometimes going beyond what I should do) for someone with a genuine issue and is calm and polite when discussing it with me.  But, get nasty or passive aggressive, and you'll get only the very least I can do for you, if that....  

To the one with the missing hotel reservation:  I hope it wasn't booked via Expedia.  It had some big troubles with transmitting reservations to hotels from the middle of April to the beginning of May.  We'd have people show up with a hard copy of their res, but we never received it from Expedia.  We were able to calm them and say "give me a few minutes and I'll create a reservation for you."  Go on the Expedia vendor site, find their res, make the res hand.  And always apologize for the few minutes of inconvenience.  We had a few that came when we were fully booked - they got "walked" to our sister properties, one with luxury condos that go for $3000/night.  And they paid $225/night with their Expedia res!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soozles said:

Really? I’ve never been compensated more than the port fees and a refund of all shore excursions. We didn’t pay anything extra for the overnight in Bermuda. In the contract, they don’t guarantee that you will make it to all the ports and that the cruise ports of call can change, so they’re not obligated to give anything. We’ve missed several ports that I can recall on over 20 cruises across 4 different cruise lines. 

Yes. Last time we missed Labadee we got back like $600 bucks. I think it was ship problems and not rough seas though. Does that make a difference?

4 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Yes. Last time we missed Labadee we got back like $600 bucks. I think it was ship problems and not rough seas though. Does that make a difference?

Maybe. I’ve only ever missed ports because of bad weather, can’t control Mother Nature. We had an entire itinerary change once because of a hurricane that was going to be in our path, though we did have the option of canceling when the new itinerary was announced. 

• Like 1

In my experience cruise compensation is offered when the problem was the responsibility of the line, and not weather conditions.  A number of times ports have been missed because of weather and nothing other than refund of port charges or line’s cruise payments — which is understandable.  Once, on Oosterdam we had an azipod failure which resulted in a missed port and a return to port (San Diego) the afternoon before scheduled debarkation.   I was happily surprised by the compensation promptly volunteered: a $300 refund and 25% reduction on a later cruise if booked within a year.

A number of times I have overheard people checking out of hotels demanding compensation because lack of hot water for their morning shower - it happened so often in a period of a few months that I was inclined to think that they had all read some “savvy traveler” cheat sheet.  Sort of like the low-lives who complain about “inedible” restaurant food —- after cleaning their plates.  I hope hotels and restaurants don’t make it too easy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

In my experience cruise compensation is offered when the problem was the responsibility of the line, and not weather conditions.  A number of times ports have been missed because of weather and nothing other than refund of port charges or line’s cruise payments — which is understandable.  Once, on Oosterdam we had an azipod failure which resulted in a missed port and a return to port (San Diego) the afternoon before scheduled debarkation.   I was happily surprised by the compensation promptly volunteered: a $300 refund and 25% reduction on a later cruise if booked within a year.

A number of times I have overheard people checking out of hotels demanding compensation because lack of hot water for their morning shower - it happened so often in a period of a few months that I was inclined to think that they had all read some “savvy traveler” cheat sheet.  Sort of like the low-lives who complain about “inedible” restaurant food —- after cleaning their plates.  I hope hotels and restaurants don’t make it too easy.

I'm not looking forward to going to work today.  We got notice from our local power company that they have to do an emergency fix on some power lines in the neighborhood and the entire neighborhood (including both of our hotels) will have intermittent power outages for about 3 hours today.  We have a huge conference that started coming in yesterday and the rest today.  We put letters last night under the doors of guests already here, gave letters and verbal notice to all arrivals yesterday.   A few rolled eyes when some checked in yesterday, but the most were worried about no power during their meetings and presentations.  I expect we'll be seeing some people demanding compensation for something that is beyond our control and last-second.   Oh joy.   Me - I try my best to not make it easy for the phishers to get anything out of me.  I'll always bounce it up to the next level and let them deal if I can't make a recovery that fits the situation - that's why the GM gets paid the big bucks.

• Like 1

We are pretty chill when we travel. I respect the hell out of people that deal with jerks. We had a minor issue on our last cruise and had a ball with the customer service rep. She actually tried to get us to stay, even though there was a line of people. She kept asking, "isn't there anything else I can do for you?"
We always go on a trip knowing there's a good chance for some speed bumps along the way, and just roll with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

We are pretty chill when we travel. I respect the hell out of people that deal with jerks. We had a minor issue on our last cruise and had a ball with the customer service rep. She actually tried to get us to stay, even though there was a line of people. She kept asking, "isn't there anything else I can do for you?"
We always go on a trip knowing there's a good chance for some speed bumps along the way, and just roll with it.

My favorite kind of guest!  We don't want you to stay silent and suck it up, but don't be a jerk or an entitled twit when you bring up an issue.  A Front line person is empowered to do only so much, so don't beat them up.  

Many of us didn't drink that much before we got into hospitality....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I'm not looking forward to going to work today.  We got notice from our local power company that they have to do an emergency fix on some power lines in the neighborhood and the entire neighborhood (including both of our hotels) will have intermittent power outages for about 3 hours today.  We have a huge conference that started coming in yesterday and the rest today.  We put letters last night under the doors of guests already here, gave letters and verbal notice to all arrivals yesterday.   A few rolled eyes when some checked in yesterday, but the most were worried about no power during their meetings and presentations.  I expect we'll be seeing some people demanding compensation for something that is beyond our control and last-second.   Oh joy.   Me - I try my best to not make it easy for the phishers to get anything out of me.  I'll always bounce it up to the next level and let them deal if I can't make a recovery that fits the situation - that's why the GM gets paid the big bucks.

Not seeking info on dollar amount authorized -- but isn't there usually some level of "soothing" each tier was able to offer?

Very different, of course, but in my dept. at the bank a junior officer (Assistant Manager) could write off a $10 difference, a Trust Officer $25, an AVP $50 and a VP $100 - without senior approval -- the time saved in not hunting down nickel and dime differences was worth far more than the overall write-offs.  In fact, there were many days the untraced difference ran in the bank's favor - and year by year we generally saw aggregate totals of less than $100 either way.  Charges/credits were made against/to the "Contingency Account"  (that just sounded more professional than the more properly descriptive "slush fund").

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mike981 said:

As long as it does not continue after telling them, or as long as they do not give me a hard time back, I am also pretty chill.

Most times, I tell them that I am telling them because if they don't know about it, they can't fix it.  That only.

And I try to be friendly and nice to them all the time.  As you say, they deal with jerks all the time.

I am the same way with the TSA folks.  Smile, say nice words.  I would not do that job.  Or I would end up punching someone. 😄

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 4:25 PM, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Makes sense if it was a problem with the ship - and I’d say they were generous:  I don’t think Labadee is worth that much —- how many of you did that $600 cover? If it was two: wow!; if a family of six: fair.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Makes sense if it was a problem with the ship - and I’d say they were generous:  I don’t think Labadee is worth that much —- how many of you did that $600 cover? If it was two: wow!; if a family of six: fair.

it was 3 of us. I thought it was very fair.

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not seeking info on dollar amount authorized -- but isn't there usually some level of "soothing" each tier was able to offer?

Very different, of course, but in my dept. at the bank a junior officer (Assistant Manager) could write off a $10 difference, a Trust Officer $25, an AVP $50 and a VP $100 - without senior approval -- the time saved in not hunting down nickel and dime differences was worth far more than the overall write-offs.  In fact, there were many days the untraced difference ran in the bank's favor - and year by year we generally saw aggregate totals of less than $100 either way.  Charges/credits were made against/to the "Contingency Account"  (that just sounded more professional than the more properly descriptive "slush fund").

My Front Desk agents can take off the $25 resort fee without approval.  Supervisors can offer up to $150 for dinner a our restaurant (no alcohol), or 10% off room rate, or the fee.  Managers can do up to $250 for resort credit, 50% off room rate.  Director and GM can comp stay or offer another stay for free.    Those are the maxes, it is discretionary how much we actually do.  The nicer your are, the more you may get.  If you are rude and screaming, you may get nothing.  If you want to take it up the food chain, feel free - we will them exactly what has transpired and they will not be so inclined to offer the moon...

40 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

My Front Desk agents can take off the $25 resort fee without approval.  Supervisors can offer up to $150 for dinner a our restaurant (no alcohol), or 10% off room rate, or the fee.  Managers can do up to $250 for resort credit, 50% off room rate.  Director and GM can comp stay or offer another stay for free.    Those are the maxes, it is discretionary how much we actually do.  The nicer your are, the more you may get.  If you are rude and screaming, you may get nothing.  If you want to take it up the food chain, feel free - we will them exactly what has transpired and they will not be so inclined to offer the moon...

Good common sense approach - saves the time of senior people while empowering juniors with what really has provide some job satisfaction - problems are never in themselves welcome, but there is an intangible value in resolving them.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Good common sense approach - saves the time of senior people while empowering juniors with what really has provide some job satisfaction - problems are never in themselves welcome, but there is an intangible value in resolving them.

It really is helpful to have a setup like this.    On the power outage: only had 1 guest complain.  He was with a group.  A lot of his group was put up at our other property where the conference was taking place, 30% at our property across the street.  The night before I changed his room twice for him, moving around his co-workers who hadn't yet arrived so he could have a room with a King bed on a higher floor.  I come into work yesterday afternoon to find out he demanded a switch to the other hotel because he found his room "noisy" overnight and then he couldn't finish charging his phone in the morning.  Director went and moved him to the other hotel BUT charged him an extra $200/night over there (he was already paying only $149).  Only did that because it would free up another room with a King bed to give to someone else.   And the whiner was out of our hair... 

• Like 1

We were at the Passport bar while it was very busy We were seated at the bar, but there was another two rows of people behind us. I watched this gentleman wait patiently for his turn with a silly smirk on his face (the reason he caught my eye) and starts to give an order for his wife's drink. She (sitting at a table) decides he can't do it correctly, so she yells over everyone to the bar tender and screams her many specifics. When finished she yelled, "I want it, when I want it and how I want it."
That's when I realized her husband was drunk, having to deal with her.