Overnighting off the ship

bennybear

We are looking at spending an overnight off the ship when we stop over night in Athens.   I have read of many people doing this in ports when they have an overnight.  Just not sure of the protocol?  Do we notify HAL precruise or just while on the ship?  Is there any special permission or forms needed?  

Just hoping they don’t change the itinerary again, we have had two port changes already and I really want to see Meteora!  

13 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We are looking at spending an overnight off the ship when we stop over night in Athens.   I have read of many people doing this in ports when they have an overnight.  Just not sure of the protocol?  Do we notify HAL precruise or just while on the ship?  Is there any special permission or forms needed?  

Just hoping they don’t change the itinerary again, we have had two port changes already and I really want to see Meteora!  

That is not a problem. I would tell Guest Services on board and give them the name and phone # of the place (hotel?) you are planning to spend the night at. Be sure you are aware of the All Aboard time for departure the next day. A lot of folks take a pic of the (All Aboard) sign always posted at the gangway. Enjoy Athens and all that historic city has to over

• Like 3

JMO -- but I would notify the front desk that you are going to spend the night ashore -- just in case there would be an emergency at home and they needed to get hold of you.  If you know where you are going to stay overnight, give that to the front desk.

Also let your cabin stewards know that you are staying ashore overnight.  And if you have fixed dining, let your waiters know you won't be at dinner.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

I would make sure you can cancel the overnight in Athens just in case something last minute happens.  Athens was cancelled for us due to a transportation strike.  We only found out the day before, all HAL excursions were cancelled and a new port plus HAL excursions were announced.  We really enjoyed the substitute but I would have been upset if I had booked something that could not have been refundable.

40 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

You are not obligated to tell the front desk but they prefer you do. Consider also telling your cabin attendant. 

Your absolutely right but it is a good idea to let front desk know as well as your stewards. We gave copies of our Hotel in the Plaka with phone numbers etc. I also gave one to our stewards. Had a great time!

Enjoy your time in Athens

Denise😊

Thanks everyone, we are heading to Meteora, been on the list for a long time and this overnight makes it doable as we have visited Athens many times.   I always book things that are cancelation free if the ship can’t dock.   Fingers crossed! 

Edited by bennybear

We had an overnight in Bora Bora, 8:00 AM Saturday arrival and 11:00 PM Sunday departure.  We booked a DIY overnight in an overwater bungalow at a great hotel.  Always wanted to do that.  HAL's prices for their overnight shore excursion was way more than double what we paid including room, transfers, meals.  

I called the Front Desk and let them know, and they said the notification was not necessary.  We did let our waiter in the MDR (fixed dining) know and our cabin steward.   Had a fantastic time and saved $1700 over the same deal using a HAL overnight excursion, and it was at the same hotel that HAL uses.

• Like 1

Our son and daughter-in-law left their 16 night Asian cruise and did a 2 night excursion on their own. I believe they informed their travel agent who in turn obtained permission from HAL. They left the ship in one port and returned to the ship another port.