Coat and tie needed for Crown formal nights?

Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

This is the part that many people just don't seem to believe and it's actually what the head waiters on Princess adhere to. 

As long as they provide my DH & I with those minimal dress standards we'll be happy to go to the DR on all nights to enjoy their food no matter what sign is posted at the doors although my DH doesn't wear the tie. 

My DH dosen't wear the tie either.  As a matter of fact most times we just skip formal nights in the dining room because we don't want to dress formally.  We usually eat in one of the specialty restaurants and dress business casual. Last March on the Crown we went to the final formal night in the MDR and very few people were actually formal.
As far as what ever contradictory statements that the website provides seems to be a reflection of what happens when you call Princess customer service...a different story from each person you talk with. Oy vey!

We probably will start going to some of the formal nights but still might do the specialty restaurants on some others.

33 minutes ago, suzyed said:

My DH dosen't wear the tie either.  As a matter of fact most times we just skip formal nights in the dining room because we don't want to dress formally.  We usually eat in one of the specialty restaurants and dress business casual. Last March on the Crown we went to the final formal night in the MDR and very few people were actually formal.
As far as what ever contradictory statements that the website provides seems to be a reflection of what happens when you call Princess customer service...a different story from each person you talk with. Oy vey!

We probably will start going to some of the formal nights but still might do the specialty restaurants on some others.

We were on the Crown with you & we took advantage of our BOGO coupon at Sabatini's the first night. We also though the food was great even compared to the Royal class ships. 

We also thought the ship (while not as casual as the CB) was very informal on formal nights. Many people just in casual attire while others were dressed up. Shorts were not tolerated (for men only) on casual evenings in the DR.

My DH had a conversation with one of the head waiters as to why women were allowed shorts & men weren't and his only explanation was that corporate said so and since they were allowed to wear culottes they considered shorts as being the same thing.

Go figure. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the Crown for the British Isles in May, we did see plenty of people who looked great in their tuxedos and formal dresses on formal night but my husband did just fine with his long sleeve dress shirt and khakis and I did fine with dressy black pants and a somewhat dressy shirt.  We were vacationing for 16 days and I was not going to take up precious suitcase space with my husbands sport coat when we needed heavier clothing to layer for the British Isles.  With such long port days and often getting back to the ship after 6 or 7 pm, we noticed that the dining room dress code seemed to be a little more relaxed for everyone and we ended up wearing jeans and a nicer shirt/sweater some nights to the dining room (we only ate in the dining room 5 out of 11 nights). 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 6:22 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry, I know this subject has been asked many times on this forum, but we’re getting ready for our 12 day cruise around the UK in July on the Crown and had to ask:

Do the men have to wear a coat and tie on formal nights or has it become optional attire? My son, who is 38, and I, who is 67, have no issues wearing a tie and long sleeve dress shirt, but really have no desire to pack a dress coat if the maitre d is not going to enforce the rules. Any recent experiences on the Crown regarding formal night attire for men will be appreciated. 

Optional attire.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:39 PM, Lucky TGO said:

I have been on over 45 cruises and NEVER EVER seen anyone wearing jeans or shorts on formal nights. I am sorry I just don’t believe it. BTW I was on the Caribbean Princess in January for a 14 day cruise and at least 80% of the men had jackets on in the MDR on formal nights.

Tony

Seen a few gents wearing blue jeans.   Lots of women  wearing jeans.   On Formal Nights.   For some people, in certain parts of the country, that is considered formal.

If I’m not wearing a linen or cotton guayabera, linen or cotton pants, and dress shoes, then it’s a fringed deer skin leather shirt and pants, and snake skin western boots.  Sometimes I wear my Stetson.   Never a problem dining in the MDR on any night, including Formal Nights. 

Good luck and enjoy your dinner.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1