Coat and tie needed for Crown formal nights?

Ken the cruiser

On 5/19/2019 at 12:24 PM, MissP22 said:

My husband's formal attire consists of as pair of Dockers & a Polo shirt or his guayabera shirt if he wants a change for the Captains luncheon. 

No matter where we cruise to, it's a formal as it needs to be. 

That is what my "formal" wear is these days.  I had no problems on our several South American cruises or our two cruises out of Southampton in this outfit.  We do TD these days and the service has been excellent as always in the MDR in my guayabera and dockers.  Last cruise in November on the CB they allowed us to wear jeans on "formal" night and shorts on other nights which was really nice.  Concerning coat and tie, I have never worn them on a cruise and eat all meals in the MDR.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, satxdiver said:

That is what my "formal" wear is these days.  I had no problems on our several South American cruises or our two cruises out of Southampton in this outfit.  We do TD these days and the service has been excellent as always in the MDR in my guayabera and dockers.  Last cruise in November on the CB they allowed us to wear jeans on "formal" night and shorts on other nights which was really nice.  Concerning coat and tie, I have never worn them on a cruise and eat all meals in the MDR.

Really?? They let you wear jeans on formal nights and shorts on all other nights? Ok then. We’re definitely good to go with a dress shirt and maybe a tie, or not. 

Not understanding the desire to wear shorts. It’s not hot in the dining room. I live in a colder climate and never wear shorts unless on a vacation where it is hot. Never wear them on a ship. Have several pair of comfortable pants and some really nice wool dress pants which. I enjoy wearing. I am not a jeans person, though I have worn them a little more since retiring .  Find them way to warm in the carribean. Would never wear them in the dining room. Prefer khakis with elastic waist bands. Super comfortable. Wear them shirts only to the gym. Maybe some people live in hot climates or it is a cultural thing. 

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Really?? They let you wear jeans on formal nights and shorts on all other nights? Ok then. We’re definitely good to go with a dress shirt and maybe a tie, or not. 

I wouldn't count on wearing shorts on a casual nights in the DR. 

Some ships like the CB let them slide & others like the Regal & Crown wouldn't allow them, except for the women who could wear them on casual evenings as they pleased. 

This is why my next cruise around the British Isles in August on Crown will be my last with Princess. Formal dress does not mean jeans or any of the examples mentioned on here it should be a suit and tie or dinner suit. I have travelled to US and Caribbean flying from the UK and have always taken my dinner suit so those that use the excuse of packing and weight regulations are talking nonsense and are just using that as an excuse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Thats exactly how I feel. Its all about “me” and screw everyone else. Hoping my next cruise from Southampton will have more classy people. 

I always wear a dinner suit on formal nights in the past whether cruising with Princess, P&O and Cunard but feel very uncomfortable and think it ruins the experience when sharing a table, which we enjoying doing, and people are sitting in black t shirts or polo shirts and jeans and think that is formal dress. Fortunately when we have cruised with Princess from Southampton it usually has a large contingent of UK cruisers who will dress accordingly on formal nights but the British Isles doesnt seem to attract as many UK cruisers and are usually outnumbered by US cruisers.

• Like 2

I have really never experienced this. Once in a while someone wont wear a tie but still has on a dress shirt with slacks. 

I have seen a few people in the dining room dressed poorly but not many.  Usually cruise 14 days or longer. Not many tuxedos but most in suits with ties. 

In The US dress has certainly changed to ultra casual to include basketball shorts in restaurants. 

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That was on the Caribbean Princess last November.  I have never seen jeans allowed on formal nights on any other Princess cruise.

2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

That was on the Caribbean Princess last November.  I have never seen jeans allowed on formal nights on any other Princess cruise.

I have been on over 45 cruises and NEVER EVER seen anyone wearing jeans or shorts on formal nights. I am sorry I just don’t believe it. BTW I was on the Caribbean Princess in January for a 14 day cruise and at least 80% of the men had jackets on in the MDR on formal nights.

Tony

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

I have been on over 45 cruises and NEVER EVER seen anyone wearing jeans or shorts on formal nights. I am sorry I just don’t believe it. BTW I was on the Caribbean Princess in January for a 14 day cruise and at least 80% of the men had jackets on in the MDR on formal nights.

Tony

Just curious if you monitored all three MDR on formal night to determine if 80% of men had coats on. 

It happened on the CB both the cruise before mine and my November cruise.  It was reported here by a pax on the prior cruise.  I wore both to see what they would say and received no comment as I entered the aft TD MDR on deck 6.  I saw a few others also wearing the same but I don't have enough will to monitor all three MDR at dinner. 

• Thanks 1

Though I seldom wear shorts in CC dining, and never on formal nights, I have always worn black jeans and a Hawaiian shirt in CC dining. This includes both formal and casual nights. Unless someone is waaaaay too close, my pants are indiscernible from black slacks. 

Funny thing, I’ve worn the same clothes to dinner on Regent Seven Seas cruises. 

Guess I’m just one of those classless folks who think “it’s all about me”. But I’ve never agonized over airline luggage charges. 😂

14 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I always wear a dinner suit on formal nights in the past whether cruising with Princess, P&O and Cunard but feel very uncomfortable and think it ruins the experience when sharing a table, which we enjoying doing, and people are sitting in black t shirts or polo shirts and jeans and think that is formal dress. Fortunately when we have cruised with Princess from Southampton it usually has a large contingent of UK cruisers who will dress accordingly on formal nights but the British Isles doesnt seem to attract as many UK cruisers and are usually outnumbered by US cruisers.

If we promise to sit at a table by ourselves (dressed casually) then it sounds as thought it might meet your approval after all.:classic_happy:

7 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If we promise to sit at a table by ourselves (dressed casually) then it sounds as thought it might meet your approval after all.:classic_happy:

Nobody is saying you should sit at a table for 2 so that you can dress casually just that you should read Princess dress code on their website/brochures and at the entrance of all the MDRs and if you dont dress accordingly then you should go to the buffet. Nobody in there right minds can say as previously on this thread that jeans and polo shirts are formal dress. But sitting on a dining table on formal nights on a table  with people in t shirts and baseball caps which I have done in the past is disrespectful and very ill mannered 😉

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody is saying you should sit at a table for 2 so that you can dress casually just that you should read Princess dress code on their website/brochures and at the entrance of all the MDRs and if you dont dress accordingly then you should go to the buffet. Nobody in there right minds can say as previously on this thread that jeans and polo shirts are formal dress. But sitting on a dining table on formal nights on a table  with people in t shirts and baseball caps which I have done in the past is disrespectful and very ill mannered 😉

My DH & I always follow the Princess dress code they publish on formal evenings and never seem to have any problems.

" For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes 
(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring 
an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

There doesn't seem to be any stipulation about the style of slacks or shirt mentioned.

Even women wearing a pair of slacks with a dressy top seems to be appropriate on any of their ships, if you want to call that formal. 

Most times we sit by ourselves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

According to you. If Princess allows it then we shall dress accordingly. Not our problem if it is not to someone elses arbitrary standard.

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

According to you. If Princess allows it then we shall dress accordingly. Not our problem if it is not to someone elses arbitrary standard.

It is Princess's standard which is clearly stated on website/brochure and entrance to all MDR but they do not adhere or enforce their own rules so think that says it all about Princess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

My DH & I always follow the Princess dress code they publish on formal evenings and never seem to have any problems.

There doesn't seem to be any stipulation about the style of slacks or shirt mentioned.

Even women wearing a pair of slacks with a dressy top seems to be appropriate on any of their ships, if you want to call that formal. 

Funny on my princess website that I view in the UK clearly states the following-

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It is Princess's standard which is clearly stated on website/brochure and entrance to all MDR but they do not adhere or enforce their own rules so think that says it all about Princess.

And they contradict that in other written areas and do not enforce it on their venues as you say.  So what is the "Standard"?

10 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

They hope you will follow the guidelines and use common sense but do not want to anger anyone so weakling enforce. It’s a wispy washy policy that makes most people unhappy. 

I understand that there are cruise lines that have a dress code that is strictly enforced ...

Princess is not one of those ... I think that makes most people happy ... esp. new cruisers

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

They hope you will follow the guidelines and use common sense but do not want to anger anyone so weakling enforce. It’s a wispy washy policy that makes most people unhappy. 

that and Princess has a reasonable expectation of their customers abide to the dress codes. 

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If I might ask, where by chance did you find this particular quote?

Update: My DW found the link you are referring to. Thanks for finding it in the Princess Packing Tips section!!!

Edited by Ken the cruiser