Coat and tie needed for Crown formal nights?

Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, c-boy said:

that and Princess has a reasonable expectation of their customers abide to the dress codes. 

They have such reasonable expectations that they do not enforce their own written suggestions.

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Funny on my princess website that I view in the UK clearly states the following-

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, where by chance did you find this particular quote?

Go to the link provided by @majortom10, then Packing for Your Cruise, then Tips on What to Pack for a Cruise. The last paragraph includes the following:

For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One can quote over and over and over again endless Princess pages and links to those pages but at the end of all of this, we all MUST accept the fact that all the Dress Codes in the world are in reality Dress Suggestions on PCL.  

This is just fact. Plain and simple. 

Liking it or not liking, accepting it or not accepting it is a matter of choice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

What about Pajamas?

LOL!

It wasn't formal night but several years ago on "White Night" a whole group (10 of them) showed up to the dining room in their white Princess robes!!

17 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

What about Pajamas?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jovisoul said:

We were on the CB last October and shorts were the only thing they wouldn’t allow in the dining room on formal nights.

And everyone survived in spite of it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, where by chance did you find this particular quote?

Update: My DW found the link you are referring to. Thanks for finding it in the Princess Packing Tips section!!!

As you see it doesn't allow shorts, baseball caps, sloppy jeans but simply provides a somewhat casual appearance for those that don't wish to dress up & still eat in the DR. Although not easy to find, it's been Princess's official dress code for some time now which people have found out for themselves just by sailing on the ships.

It would be nice if they would make it more apparent for the sake of people who feel obligated to dress up on formal nights only to find it not at all necessary. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, voljeep said:

I understand that there are cruise lines that have a dress code that is strictly enforced ...

Princess is not one of those ... I think that makes most people happy ... esp. new cruisers

So why do they state on their website under clothing recommendations-

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

They even go on to tell you how many are on each particular cruise by the number of days. If they are not going to enforce this policy then remove it from their website.

10 hours ago, jovisoul said:

We were on the CB last October and shorts were the only thing they wouldn’t allow in the dining room on formal nights.

This is the right answer.  Wear what you are comfortable wearing.  They will only turn you away if you aren't wearing long pants (if you are a man).

Princess suggested dress code is just that, a suggestion.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
More info
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

This is the right answer.  Wear what you are comfortable wearing.  They will only turn you away if you aren't wearing long pants (if you are a man).

Princess suggested dress code is just that, a suggestion.

Exactly. What people wear to dinner does not affect my meal in any way. If you want to wear a tux/gown, great, do it. If you want to wear dress pants and a shirt and tie or polo shirt, great do it. It's your vacation, spend it how you please!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

So why do they state on their website under clothing recommendations-

Formal

They even go on to tell you how many are on each particular cruise by the number of days. If they are not going to enforce this policy then remove it from their website.

As is often the case with cruise line websites, you will find contradictory information if you read in any depth. The section of the FAQ that you have quoted certainly appears to make a suit and tie the minimum level of dress recommended (not "required") for formal nights. Yet, as pointed out previously, elsewhere in the same FAQ you'll see that Princess also makes allowance for bringing just a shirt, tie and slacks for formal night.

Princess Cruises is smart casual, so pack clothing that adheres to that guideline... For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. 

35 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As is often the case with cruise line websites, you will find contradictory information if you read in any depth. The section of the FAQ that you have quoted certainly appears to make a suit and tie the minimum level of dress recommended (not "required") for formal nights. Yet, as pointed out previously, elsewhere in the same FAQ you'll see that Princess also makes allowance for bringing just a shirt, tie and slacks for formal night.

Princess Cruises is smart casual, so pack clothing that adheres to that guideline... For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. 

Princess could nip this ... nip it in the bud ... by putting a big notice that you MUST check that you have read when selecting either Traditional or Anytime 'Dining' ... if you check TD, you acknowledge that the Princess Dress 'Code' will be STRICTLY ENFORCED on formal nights - no exceptions - this also mean no slacks/pants/sparkly tops for women

they could also make allowances for TD diners to go to AT on formal nights and AT diners could go to TD based on space available, no guarantees for a table in TD

flame on why this will not work, of course ...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No you SHOULD NOT pack items that you do not need to wear as they are not required on Princess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess could nip this ... nip it in the bud ... by putting a big notice that you MUST check that you have read when selecting either Traditional or Anytime 'Dining' ... if you check TD, you acknowledge that the Princess Dress 'Code' will be STRICTLY ENFORCED on formal nights - no exceptions - this also mean no slacks/pants/sparkly tops for women

they could also make allowances for TD diners to go to AT on formal nights and AT diners could go to TD based on space available, no guarantees for a table in TD

If, and that's a very big "if", Princess wants to start enforcing dress codes, the first thing they'd need to do is make up their minds about what exactly they consider to be an acceptable level of dress and ensure that it is reflected accurately across all of the website and documentation.

TD and AT dining choices aren't based on passengers' desire to dress up or down IMO. There are lots who prefer AT who like to dress up and lots who prefer TD who like to dress down. I can't see anyone being happy trying to marry these two unrelated issues. What next, a different dress requirements for different cabin categories?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If, and that's a very big "if", Princess wants to start enforcing dress codes, the first thing they'd need to do is make up their minds about what exactly they consider to be an acceptable level of dress and ensure that it is reflected accurately across all of the website and documentation.

TD and AT dining choices aren't based on passengers' desire to dress up or down IMO. There are lots who prefer AT who like to dress up and lots who prefer TD who like to dress down. I can't see anyone being happy trying to marry these two unrelated issues. What next, a different dress requirements for different cabin categories?  

Formal dining is as antiquated on Princess as is Traditional dining - they are a perfect match on Formal Nights

• Like 1

They could also fix this by having one DR smart casual on formal nights, or at least available times in a DR for smart casual on formal nights.  It seems a lot of people want the lobster and whatever else they serve that makes it a formal night, but don't want to dress up.

Seems that would make everyone happy. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Somehow I think you’re serious about all of this. 😳

Princess is likely to begin what you suggest about the time they start giving away free cruises to anyone who asks. 

NOT in this lifetime. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

Formal dining is as antiquated on Princess as is Traditional dining - they are a perfect match on Formal Nights

Well I beg to differ on "antiquated".  We like the set dining time (it also can have some flexibility once you understand how it works and ask nicely - I won't go into details here, but suffice to say that the TD window for dinner is more than sufficient for 2 or 4 people to complete service).  We like that we don't have the possibility of lining up and waiting for our desired table size to open up (may we have an entertainment event we'd like to make it to after dinner).  We tend to look to sit to eat in a fairly narrow window of time each evening and TD suits that.  No, I am not a fan of the recent 5:15pm sitting down for dinner, especially considering many port departure times, but there are a couple of ways to work around that.  Anyway, I don't consider it antiquated.  I do consider tuxes and gowns as somewhat old-fashioned, but it is certainly de rigeur at high society occasions. 

That said, I respect those who enjoy getting suited up for formal nights and I have no problem that Princess supports/sponsors it, but I like the sensible flexibility that we can dress it up part way (jacket with shirt, shirt & tie), or go with smart casual as well.  No matter the personal decision on what to bring, there are always those who look classy in smart casual and those who look like they brought the same suit or gown they wore 20 years ago - not to mention the opposite.

PS - If the ships went to 100% ATD, I would be fine with that as well.  It is nice to have same waiter each night who gets to know preferences, but I can work with most any wait team.

What I find funny about myself is that, having moved past renting tux's, bringing suits and the like, I really do enjoy seeing those who enjoy doing so dress it up on formal nights.  We typically have an extra cocktail and people watch those evenings.  Thanks for putting on such a fine show!

• Like 1

I just love it when people post the Princess dress code as if that is the final word.  We all know that on Princess ships many ignore the posted dress code and it is only enforced for those that are far out of line.  So post away, I need a good laugh.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 9:49 AM, Fouremco said:

Hi Mike, booked my first Princess cruise, WC segment. Princess is more formal than X??.   I find this in what to pack?

Princess Cruises is smart casual, so pack clothing that adheres to that guideline...... For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

Gerardo

4 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Hi Mike, booked my first Princess cruise, WC segment. Princess is more formal than X??.   I find this in what to pack?

Not to worry!   Just wear the same thing on Princess you would on Celebrity.

Both X and Princess are way less formal than the once were.  :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1