Coat and tie needed for Crown formal nights?

Ken the cruiser

43 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Hi Mike, booked my first Princess cruise, WC segment. Princess is more formal than X??.   I find this in what to pack?

Princess Cruises is smart casual, so pack clothing that adheres to that guideline...... For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

Gerardo

Hi Gerardo, good to see that you are continuing to enjoy cruising and trying different lines also.

We just booked our first Princess cruise too, for next summer, so I can't give you first hand observations, but from reading their dress recommendations and related CC threads, I expect that Princess "Formal" nights are very similar to "Evening Chic" nights on Celebrity or "Gala" nights on Holland America. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Hi Gerardo, good to see that you are continuing to enjoy cruising and trying different lines also.

We just booked our first Princess cruise too, for next summer, so I can't give you first hand observations, but from reading their dress recommendations and related CC threads, I expect that Princess "Formal" nights are very similar to "Evening Chic" nights on Celebrity or "Gala" nights on Holland America. 

While Princess still calls it "Formal" it's the same as "Evening Chic" on X  and "Gala" on HAL.  

• Like 2

We’re on the Crown’s British Isles cruise right now and I think I saw maybe 5 gentlemen wearing coat and tie. Everyone else is dressed for warmth. Tonight is 2nd formal night so I’ll take a look around. It’s more casual than formal so far.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Its cold inside the ship?

Yes, the dining rooms are always on the cool side but since we’re In the North Sea above Scotland right now, it’s really cold and windy outside as well. Dress in layers.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, Fouremco said:

Go to the link provided by @majortom10, then Packing for Your Cruise, then Tips on What to Pack for a Cruise. The last paragraph includes the following:

For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. 

I doubt if anyone could construe a skirt with a good blouse as "formal wear".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stoneharborlady said:

I doubt if anyone could construe a skirt with a good blouse as "formal wear".

Be that as it may, Princess has decided that a skirt and good blouse is suitable for formal settings. Their ships, their rules.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Be that as it may, Princess has decided that a skirt and good blouse is suitable for formal settings. Their ships, their rules.

Agreed, also their enforcement.

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Therein lies the dilemma for Princess, trying to enforce something of a dress code to satisfy both crowds & corporate headquarters. I'm sure the Maitre D' & head waiters are in a challenging position almost every night - both formal & casual evenings- explaining what items are not acceptable. 

At the same time they have a dining room to run efficiently which I believe is their most important job. When all is said & done most people would be more upset if the service and food was not up to par rather then a few women wearing what wouldn't be considered proper enough for a formal evening or some guys not wearing a jacket. 

Last night was our second formal night on the Crown and wow, everyone was dressed to the nines. Some tuxes, mostly jackets & ties and lots of long gowns and glitter.Many folks had their formal portraits taken last night. No need to enforce the dress code, everyone voluntarily followed it or ate in the Horizon Court. It’s still pretty cold here in northern Scotland.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Last night was our second formal night on the Crown and wow, everyone was dressed to the nines. Some tuxes, mostly jackets & ties and lots of long gowns and glitter.Many folks had their formal portraits taken last night. No need to enforce the dress code, everyone voluntarily followed it or ate in the Horizon Court. It’s still pretty cold here in northern Scotland.

wonderful !  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

And I quite agree, just find it odd the way they spell it out.  They cannot seem to go one way or the other.

42 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

They cannot seem to go one way or the other.

So true, with different webpages providing conflicting information. If they are going to state on one page:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.
Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

then they shouldn't contradict themselves on another page saying: 
For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. 

Not that it's any consolation, but the HAL website has similar discrepancies and, of course, similar formal night dress threads.

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

So true, with different webpages providing conflicting information. If they are going to state on one page:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Not that it's any consolation, but the HAL website has similar discrepancies and, of course, similar formal night dress threads.

Can you tell us where you found that on the Princess website.

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

This is the part that many people just don't seem to believe and it's actually what the head waiters on Princess adhere to. 

As long as they provide my DH & I with those minimal dress standards we'll be happy to go to the DR on all nights to enjoy their food no matter what sign is posted at the doors although my DH doesn't wear the tie. 

• Like 2