Solo on celebrity

MsCrystalina

Most of the times I sail with a couple of my girlfriends, but occasionally I will sail solo.  Celebrity definitely makes solo travelers feel welcome.  The crew and fellow passengers are very welcoming to solos.  I think you'll be fine and have a wonderful time.  What ship and itinerary are you sailing?

38 minutes ago, ACaparzo said:

I'll be going solo for the first time on the Equinox in August - looking forward to it and hope it goes well.

You will be fine, for sure...

bon voyage

I did a 12-night Baltics solo last year and loved it. It wasn't my first solo cruise, and I enjoy being by myself, so I don't need the staff to be overly supportive, but they treated me well. I booked a 4-night specialty restaurant package for some pampering, and the staff in Tuscan was particularly good to me.

On other nights I ate in the buffet. The only annoying thing was that someone called me at least three times asking why I had not been to the MDR for dinner. The first two calls went to VM, but I answered the third call and just told her that the buffet and the specialties made me happy.

Hmm. . . It could be that the calls were to help determine seating in the main dining room.  I traveled solo recently.  Upon boarding I went to the dining room to to verify I was assigned to a large table.  That evening I sat at the large table - alone.   Same thing the second night, but at a different table.  The wait staff were very attentive, but sitting alone at a large table in a large venue was uncomfortable. The third night a lovely couple at another table asked the maitre’d to assign me to their table which also held 2 additional couples.  We all had a wonderful time and were the last to leave each night.  Yes - the other 2 tables were empty or only partially filled for the remainder of the cruise! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruizinggirl said:

Hmm. . . It could be that the calls were to help determine seating in the main dining room.  I traveled solo recently.  Upon boarding I went to the dining room to to verify I was assigned to a large table.  That evening I sat at the large table - alone.   Same thing the second night, but at a different table.  The wait staff were very attentive, but sitting alone at a large table in a large venue was uncomfortable. The third night a lovely couple at another table asked the maitre’d to assign me to their table which also held 2 additional couples.  We all had a wonderful time and were the last to leave each night.  Yes - the other 2 tables were empty or only partially filled for the remainder of the cruise! 

Good for you! Happy you met some great people Bad for the maitre'd of the dining room. Not professional. Unseemly.

I don’t fault the maitre’d. Passengers are assigned to the main dining room.  If they choose to take advantage of dining options (speciality, buffet, or cabin service) there is no way for the maitre’d to know that in advance, or even on a nightly basis.  Perhaps Celebrity can investigate adding an opt out choice to the registration page.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cruizinggirl said:

I don’t fault the maitre’d. Passengers are assigned to the main dining room.  If they choose to take advantage of dining options (speciality, buffet, or cabin service) there is no way for the maitre’d to know that in advance, or even on a nightly basis.  Perhaps Celebrity can investigate adding an opt out choice to the registration page.  

Maybe a server could have told the Maitre'd that there was a lone woman at a large table...two nights in a row. Maybe as I have become accustomed, as he was walking around he might have noticed. It took until the 3rd night for a guest to ask the Maitre'd to move the lady to their table.

Edited by Cruise it or lose it

Sailed many times solo, just returned from the Millie to Alaska 5/17 had a fabulous time. They do have some  activities  like a group  luncheon or meet for cocktails before dinner . With the Celebrity captains club if you sale in a cabin solo you get double points as well

3 hours ago, Cruizinggirl said:

Hmm. . . It could be that the calls were to help determine seating in the main dining room. 

I chose anytime dining knowing that I wouldn't be going to the MDR. I wouldn't ask for fixed, get assigned a table, and never show. 😊

Edited by hrhdhd

1 hour ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Maybe a server could have told the Maitre'd that there was a lone woman at a large table...two nights in a row. Maybe as I have become accustomed, as he was walking around he might have noticed. It took until the 3rd night for a guest to ask the Maitre'd to move the lady to their table.

The maitre’d was aware the first night. He spoke to me during dinner, sent me a glass of wine, and told me he’d take care of the situation.  He moved me to a different table for the 2nd night only to have no one show for THAT table ! 

10 hours ago, Cruizinggirl said:

The maitre’d was aware the first night. He spoke to me during dinner, sent me a glass of wine, and told me he’d take care of the situation.  He moved me to a different table for the 2nd night only to have no one show for THAT table ! 

I apologize to the maitre'd then. 

Thanks for the responses. Crystal has changed to anytime dining and am spoiled by always having a large table of  couples and solos.  Alas all appear to be headed this way   Celebrity certainly appears to have a lot of positives and I will try it in the future.

I was on a Transatlantic last Octber on Reflection. There were probably at least 15-20 solo women on it. They set up a list on their cruise roll call and someone arranged to have a luncheon one day on the ship in the MDR. It was nice to meet the others and join them on and off the ship. I don't know if there are always that many,but I would try to start something on your roll call to see.

I travel solo and always ask for a table for 8, late seating.  The maitre d' on my last Silhouette TA put together the BEST table I've ever had = all experienced solo cruisers (Elite, Plus, Zenith) so we could eliminate the "I could never travel solo" nonsense.  We closed the dining room many nights.  However, I have also experienced being alone at a large table.  That was painful and I left after 15 minutes and headed to the buffet.  Next day, visited the maitre d' and we took care of it.  

p.s.  I've found that late seating is a better option for me solo vs anytime or early.  Seems more solo travelers want to sit with others and ask for late, too.  

Edited by goofysmom99