Calling All Those Who Have Sailed In An Edge Sunset Veranda

vtcruising

The Sunset Verandas (SV) on the Edge are proving to be very popular for those who want a traditional balcony on the Edge. I am trying to choose the best SV on the Edge and Apex for upcoming cruises and would love to be able to get some feedback on as many of the SV's as possible. If you have sailed in an Edge SV, answering the following questions would be very helpful to me (and to others)! I will collate the info.

1) cabin #

2) bed by balcony or by bath? (I know the deck plans show this, but some cabins on the Edge have been the reverse of the deck plans).

3) Did your balcony connect to the one next to it? If so, by a door in the firewall or by folding back the end section of the balcony divider (can tell by the hinges on panel) - these are both locked and usually only opened by the cabin attendant by request of people traveling together.

4) Any noise or other issues with your cabin?

5) If you had an opportunity to see your neighbor's SV balcony, did you see any size difference?

6) Did you ask for and receive a lounger for your balcony?

7) If you were on deck 7, did you have any problems with Eden under you? Did the Eden bump out impact your wake view? Were the lights from Eden an issue at night?

8 ) If you were in 7313, 7310, 8321 or 8312 did you find your balcony adequate in size?

9) If you were in 7315, 7312, 8323 or 8314 was there a white box on the balcony (there appears to be something in picture below)? Did you balcony seem larger than other SV's (if you saw any others)?

10) Overall, taking size, privacy, shade, sun into consideration, how did you like your balcony?

Please add pictures, if you wish, especially of the balconies (since the inside of the cabins are similar), such as view, dividing walls and anything unusual.

Thank you for your help!!!

I labeled the aft  cabins below for people to better see what the balconies look like. A few comments:

1) It looks like some of the SVs have loungers, so hopefully we can receive one if we ask.

2) Some of the balconies look a bit smaller than the average ones and a few look larger. The info does say that the average is 89 sq  ft, so they are likely not all the same.

3) To me, the two center balconies SV's on decks 7 & 8 look a bit bigger (the firewall kind of flare out) - one has two loungers and room for a chairs as well. Maybe it is an optical illusion?

4) To me, the cabins right next to the two center cabins on 7 & 8 look like their balconies are a bit smaller (where the firewall from the center cabins flare out). Again, maybe an optical illusion so wanted to get more info from those who have stayed in these cabins.

image.thumb.png.c32962215dffd2b06100f07fbc803747.png

We only have 2 SV cabins reviewed on the Edge cabin info sticky so far. If anyone would like to review their cabin so that others will have the info when choosing a cabin, it would be most appreciated. The thread is below. Thanks! 🙂

• Like 1

Hi,

we were in 9312 on Edge for the recent Transatlantic crossing.

The bed is closer to the balcony but unlike IV there is a goog 6ft between the bed and balcony doors. Both the room and balcony was far bigger than an AQ cabin on the same corridor ( we asked to have a look!)

We only had the standard chairs and tables on the balcony but due to the size of the balcony I made good use of two pool towels and all the Kelly Hoppen cushions to construct a very comfortable lounger! I am 6ft tall and could easily lie full length and still not be in the shadow of the slopping glass balcony.

I would love to say I hated this cabin to discourage others from booking but I think Celebrity are going to soon add a premium to sunset balconies because they are just like a mini suite with a proper balcony and I loved it, best cabin I have stayed in after 15 Celebrity cruises including AQ etc.

We had no issues with noice.

The balcony adjoined the cabin to the right by a could back section but from what we saw all looked a very similar size., above below and to either side Saying that, it is very private and we had to really lean over to talk to our neighbors 

My only niggle was because we were the last cabin at the end of a long corridor we often had to squeeze past housekeeping karts left outside our door.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dezzy said:

Hi,

The bed is closer to the balcony but unlike IV there is a goog 6ft between the bed and balcony doors. Both the room and balcony was far bigger than an AQ cabin on the same corridor ( we asked to have a look!)

We only had the standard chairs and tables on the balcony but due to the size of the balcony I made good use of two pool towels and all the Kelly Hoppen cushions to construct a very comfortable lounger! I am 6ft tall and could easily lie full length and still not be in the shadow of the slopping glass balcony.

I would love to say I hated this cabin to discourage others from booking but I think Celebrity are going to soon add a premium to sunset balconies because they are just like a mini suite with a proper balcony and I loved it, best cabin I have stayed in after 15 Celebrity cruises including AQ etc.

The balcony adjoined the cabin to the right by a could back section but from what we saw all looked a very similar size., above below and to either side Saying that, it is very private and we had to really lean over to talk to our neighbors 

My only niggle was because we were the last cabin at the end of a long corridor we often had to squeeze past housekeeping karts left outside our door.

Thanks so much for the information!  I love that you made a Kelly Hoppen pillow lounger - probably the most expensive lounger on the ship!

Just one question (I think there was a little typo) - did you mean that your cabin and the one to the right (the other center one - 9311) could be connected by opening a section of the balcony divider? Was there a door in the wall to the left to connect your balcony to that left hand balcony (9310)? A lot of people have been asking which ones connect so I am trying to collect that info. Thanks!

I was in love with the SV's on the first day they were announced and I think that you are right that it will be a matter of time before they are scarce and more expensive. In the meantime it is our little secret.  😉

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dezzy said:

Hi,

Thank you for posting.. We have this cabin booked on APEX and were hoping for bed by balc...you made my day! We enjoyed tgat pisition in an IV..but it  was a bit tight,

We have 7312 booked on EDGE for Nov 2019....so I am assuming it will also be bed by balc.

We're thinking if we can get lightweight beach lounge chairs we could tag them and put them out there on the Balc...

Thanks to Vt for starting this thread.,,,

I did a little more research on the SV connections to adjacent cabins:

Here is the S1 aft and connecting SV by alcove:

Outside door for both:

image.thumb.png.e906c1cdca8b6afef37953e05f9a5992.png

There are 2 doors within a shared alcove:

image.thumb.png.0e1c179debc1899d9ccec96d2d7aaa02.png

There are two types of connections for the balconies. I suspect (but do not know for sure) that most SV's connect to the cabins next to them.

Some connect with a part of the balcony divider able to be folded back on hinges (if requested by both parties - otherwise locked):

image.png.8ccd6cdce4f12e19b90166a290fd58df.png

The firewalls between some of cabins have a door that can be opened, if both parties agree - otherwise locked.

image.png.8cbad2ecdde1a6bec36a19e3352b5b73.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9) If you were in 7315, 7312, 8323 or 8314 was there a white box on the balcony (there appears to be something in picture below)? Did you balcony seem larger than other SV's (if you saw any others)?

We were in 8314 - no white box.  I suspect what you are seeing as a white box is actually the result of a shadow from the overhang of the balcony above, against the bulkhead.

The balcony for 8314 is definitely larger than 8312.   We were originally in 8312 but after scrutinizing photos (like the one you posted above although this one is better than what I found!) I determined that 8314 had the larger balcony.    8312 is narrower at the balcony rail than at the bulkhead.   I peeked discretely to prove what I thought was the case from the photos.   I always thought I preferred bed by the bath and agonized over the move to 8314 - in the end we loved it!   Especially that extra room from the side of the bed to the balcony door.

One other thing to mention about the balcony doors - on Edge those with a standard balcony door only has an "opening/locking" handle on the inside.    None on the outside.   I heard reports of people getting locked out on the balcony when their travel partner went inside and through habit, swung the handle to lock the door.   Also when the seas are only moderately rough, the door will open and close with the roll of the sea if you are on the balcony.    BAD design!

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoePDX said:

We were in 8314 - no white box.  I suspect what you are seeing as a white box is actually the result of a shadow from the overhang of the balcony above, against the bulkhead.

The balcony for 8314 is definitely larger than 8312.   We were originally in 8312 but after scrutinizing photos (like the one you posted above although this one is better than what I found!) I determined that 8314 had the larger balcony.    8312 is narrower at the balcony rail than at the bulkhead.   I peeked discretely to prove what I thought was the case from the photos.   I always thought I preferred bed by the bath and agonized over the move to 8314 - in the end we loved it!   Especially that extra room from the side of the bed to the balcony door.

One other thing to mention about the balcony doors - on Edge those with a standard balcony door only has an "opening" handle on the inside.    None on the outside.   I heard reports of people getting locked out on the balcony when their travel partner went inside and through habit, swung the handle to lock the door.   BAD design!

Joe

Thanks, Joe! I suspected the "white box" was a fake out, but wanted verification.

I did notice the flare out of the firewall way back when the aft was first completed, but wasn't sure if it was an optical illusion until I saw the balcony furniture and the increased space on decks 7 & 8 and a little more on 9 for the 2 center cabins. I've been waiting to see if I could verify it before changing and also wanted to hear about noise/light issues from Eden.

I am still agonizing about switching to the bed by balcony - there are advantages to both, but I think I'll stay by the bath...

The sliders in the Sky Suites were the same - I locked my DH out on purpose one day when he was taking a nap since the door was whistling with it shut all the way, but not locked.  I stayed in the suite and made sure that he had his phone to text me. I agree that it is a design flaw. I've been on other ships with the same design flaw and had some close calls.

I also had a question from your review: " There is a swinging door (with round window) in the hall between 8314 and 8323." Was this across the hall or in between the cabins? Was it a cabin steward's storage room or do you know?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I also had a question from your review: " There is a swinging door (with round window) in the hall between 8314 and 8323." Was this across the hall or in between the cabins? Was it a cabin steward's storage room or do you know?

I can answer the first question, thanks to both the cabin crawl and all those long walks DH and I took lol. The swinging door was in the corridor. For example, when we walked aft along the port side corridor, turned left, we took a few steps, pushed through the swinging door, took a few steps, turned left again, and headed forward along the starboard corridor. The swinging door was like those you see between restaurant dining rooms and kitchens. Hope this makes sense.

Edited by Silkroad

1 minute ago, Silkroad said:

I can answer the first question, thanks to both the cabin crawl and all those long walks DH and I took lol. The swinging door was in the corridor. For example, when we walked aft along the port side corridor, turned left, took a few steps, pushed through the swinging door, took a few steps, turned left again, and headed forward along the starboard corridor. The swinging door was like those you see between restaurant dining rooms and kitchens. Hope this makes sense.

Oh yes, I remember those doorways - I pictured a small room between the cabins. Thanks!!

43 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

One other thing to mention about the balcony doors - on Edge those with a standard balcony door only has an "opening/locking" handle on the inside.    None on the outside.   I heard reports of people getting locked out on the balcony when their travel partner went inside and through habit, swung the handle to lock the door.   Also when the seas are only moderately rough, the door will open and close with the roll of the sea if you are on the balcony.    BAD design!

Thanks for the warning, Joe. Early Sky Suite reviews mentioned this flaw, but I had hoped it wasn’t ship wide. 

Michelle

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks!

No, just across the passenger hallway at the aft.   You can go from port to starboard or visa versa.   It’s stainless steel, so a fire break?

just saw Michelle’s response...she covered it more eloquently than I did....   😎

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JoePDX said:

No, just across the passenger hallway at the aft.   You can go from port to starboard or visa versa.   It’s stainless steel, so a fire break?

Joe

Yes, I remember them now. I have never seen those on ships in the aft before - odd, but probably a good reason. like fire door. 🙂

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:19 AM, vtcruising said:

I did a little more research on the SV connections to adjacent cabins:

Here is the S1 aft and connecting SV by alcove:

Outside door for both:

image.thumb.png.e906c1cdca8b6afef37953e05f9a5992.png

There are 2 doors within a shared alcove:

image.thumb.png.0e1c179debc1899d9ccec96d2d7aaa02.png

There are two types of connections for the balconies. I suspect (but do not know for sure) that most SV's connect to the cabins next to them.

Some connect with a part of the balcony divider able to be folded back on hinges (if requested by both parties - otherwise locked):

image.png.8ccd6cdce4f12e19b90166a290fd58df.png

The firewalls between some of cabins have a door that can be opened, if both parties agree - otherwise locked.

image.png.8cbad2ecdde1a6bec36a19e3352b5b73.png

That's our balcony door 11270 - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

1) cabin #12226

2) bed by balcony or by bath? (I know the deck plans show this, but some cabins on the Edge have been the reverse of the deck plans). Bed was by the Bathroom

3) Did your balcony connect to the one next to it? If so, by a door in the firewall or by folding back the end section of the balcony divider (can tell by the hinges on panel) - these are both locked and usually only opened by the cabin attendant by request of people traveling together.  Looked like it could be open

4) Any noise or other issues with your cabin?  None

5) If you had an opportunity to see your neighbor's SV balcony, did you see any size difference?  Did not notice any difference

6) Did you ask for and receive a lounger for your balcony?  Lounger was already there; however, it took up a lot of room with the 2 chairs and table. We never used it.

7) If you were on deck 7, did you have any problems with Eden under you? Did the Eden bump out impact your wake view? Were the lights from Eden an issue at night?    We were on Deck 12

8 ) If you were in 7313, 7310, 8321 or 8312 did you find your balcony adequate in size?  n/a

9) If you were in 7315, 7312, 8323 or 8314 was there a white box on the balcony (there appears to be something in picture below)? Did you balcony seem larger than other SV's (if you saw any others)?  n/a

10) Overall, taking size, privacy, shade, sun into consideration, how did you like your balcony?  Loved it!  Considering it was just below the outside seating of the Oceanview Cafe, there was no noise from above from chair movement, etc.  It was a long walk to the closest elevator bank, but we got used to it and got a lot of steps in.  We could see down on the balconies below us but those below could not see us unless we were looking over the rail.  Would definitely get a SV cabin again on Deck 12.  

Please add pictures, if you wish, especially of the balconies (since the inside of the cabins are similar), such as view, dividing walls and anything unusual.

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_7405.JPG

• Like 1

All the main questions are already answered nicely. I was on Deck 12 in a SV cabin on board Apex´s Maiden Voyage in June. I loved the cabin, the balcony - everything about those SV cabins.

The only think I heard was the chairs moved about at the outdoor space of the Buffet Restaurant- did not bother me - but my friends are bit more sensitive to noise- so they would never book on Deck 12.

SV cabins are the ONLY cabins I will book on Edge Class ships. IV cabins are- in my book anyway- not really balcony cabins, but cabins with a large window that can be opened- if the bridge provides it´s consent.

I wonder if they ( X) did not regret that built a ship class with almost only IV cabins, instead of a nice mix of both. Some passengers love them.

5 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I wonder if they ( X) did not regret that built a ship class with almost only IV cabins, instead of a nice mix of both. Some passengers love them.

I would think not because there is no design change on the Beyond from what I have read this far.  

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

I'm on edge 7308 aft balcony.

It's more like an angled balcony than a full balcony.

The side  closer to 7306 is shorter.

Thus like everyone said,  the 2 center aft balconies are best

I am in 7312 in April. Was there any noise or light issues coming up from the dining room below?  And did the way Eden extends out in any way obstruct your view of wake?