First Suite experience recap

1 hour ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I have seen sea and star class mentioned here but have no idea what it means. If it matters, I usually take the smaller ships from Baltimore though and am just turning diamond soon.

Will someone explain? Can you have a suite and not be in one of these 'classes'?

Suite Class of Sea, Sky and Star are only on the Larger ships.  On Grandeur if you book a suite, you're in a suite....Francis or Carlington (Concierges) will take care of you and have access to the CL.  

On the alrger ships, the 'class' dictates extra things you can get.....like access to a special restaurant just for suites, or a special place up top call the sun deck....if you sail in star class things like wifi, drinks, and all specialty restaurants are included in the fare. 

I like grandeur, always sail in the Royal Suite....my daughter loves playing piano and plays at least an hour a day at home so I help make it so she can still do that while on vacation

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

What ship has a lounge just for Pinnacles?  Pinnacles have access to the Diamond Lounge on all ships, the concierge lounge on ships that have one and the suite lounge on ships that have that instead of a concierge lounge.  Never heard of a lounge of their own.

The few nights we went to SL we discovered that it cleared out rather early.  For those of us with a drink package, it didn’t matter where we went.  We typically just went to SL a short time before our dinner reservation.   Pinnacles can go to DL or any bar for three free drinks during the designated time, SL or if later, just pay for their drinks.   

1 hour ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I would definitely head to CK as soon as you board.   Try to get reservations.  It seems that many Sky eat in specialty.  So do Star of course.   But the Pinnacles seem to be in CK every night.   That’s why it’s so full.  

We generally only go 3 nights a week.

Breakfast and lunch almost every day

6 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

The few nights we went to SL we discovered that it cleared out rather early.  For those of us with a drink package, it didn’t matter where we went.  We typically just went to SL a short time before our dinner reservation.   Pinnacles can go to DL or any bar for three free drinks during the designated time, SL or if later, just pay for their drinks.   

The poster said that Pinnacles have a lounge of their own and you have a right to be upset if they are filling up the Diamond lounge.  Pinnacles have every right to be in the Diamond Lounge along with Diamond members and Diamond +.  

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Awful lot of generalizations in these observations.  🤔

I think these are observations only.   The cruise itself was amazing.   I certainly  recall the bickering back and forth between a few posters regarding Pinnacles taking over SL.  After experiencing the Suite experience, I can certainly understand it better.  You pay a premium for the Suite experience, if it’s not available due to “NSPP” I now understand.     The staff onboard couldn’t gave been nicer.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The poster said that Pinnacles have a lounge of their own and you have a right to be upset if they are filling up the Diamond lounge.  Pinnacles have every right to be in the Diamond Lounge along with Diamond members and Diamond +.  

I believe the Pinnacles can go to DL SL or use any bar for their three free drinks.  Maybe they get more, I don’t know.   We had a drink package, we could drink anywhere.  

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry, want to give benefit of the doubt, but when you keep typing 

Most live within driving

Most eat every meal in CK

Most stay inside cabins

Most got there via extra points from old system

Most dont spend money onboard

I cant help but feel offended 

Seems very passive aggressive 😉

I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone.   I truly apologize if I did.   

2 hours ago, oddly excitered said:

Would love to do a suite someday but just cant get over the prices!, Absolutely love cruising and find it to be an affordable extravagance, 3 times the fair just doesn't seem reasonable, I mean what do you really get for all that dough? our first cruise was an interior and the next we got a balcony, That's it we wont go back to interior. Are there affordable suite rooms...EVER?

I guess it depends on your definition of affordability and would a JS fit your needs

4 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone.   I truly apologize if I did.   

I'm probably oversensitive 😉

But speaking in near absolutes is rarely a good idea.

FWIW, choosing an inside to save money really isnt that big a savings once you hit Diamond. The balcony discount often brings the two on par. Especially on a ship with Neighborhood balconies 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm probably oversensitive 😉

But speaking in near absolutes is rarely a good idea.

FWIW, choosing an inside to save money really isnt that big a savings once you hit Diamond. The balcony discount often brings the two on par. Especially on a ship with Neighborhood balconies 

Well as I said, I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone.   I apologize if I did.   Sigh.   

1 hour ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not complaining.  In previous threads there were conversations about Pinnacles taking over SL when they typically don’t stay in suites.   In our conversations with those who are Pinnacle, we were surprised to learn that inside cabins seem to be the choice.  I guess it makes sense, since they have seen it all, but let’s face it, suite guests DO pay a premium to access a lounge that may be full of people cruising in inside cabins.  Once again, they have earned that pin it’s just an observation.

I know you weren’t ‘loudly’ complaining.  I was referring to the Concierge Lounge...which is for Pinnacles and Suite guests. Different ships seem to call that lounge by different names.  I know that Pinnacles don’t have a dedicated lounge to themselves...but if Ds and D+s aren’t allowed in the CL, then really, Pinnacles shouldn’t take up space in that lounge when they have the CL to go to. It’s a matter of showing thoughtfulness.  If Pinnacles fill up the CK, maybe there should be a quota system.  

Its too bad it’s called a Suite Lounge. That implies that only Suite guests can enter. Perhaps they could call it a Pinnacle and Suite Lounge.  

Can anything make everyone happy?  I can guarantee you that most Pinnacles do not stay in Insides, or live close to the port.  I guess I’m not liking the feeling that some people think that they’re better than others just because they can afford , or want to spend their money on, a Suite cabin.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I know you weren’t ‘loudly’ complaining.  I was referring to the Concierge Lounge...which is for Pinnacles and Suite guests. Different ships seem to call that lounge by different names.  I know that Pinnacles don’t have a dedicated lounge to themselves...but if Ds and D+s aren’t allowed in the CL, then really, Pinnacles shouldn’t take up space in that lounge when they have the CL to go to. It’s a matter of showing thoughtfulness.  If Pinnacles fill up the CK, maybe there should be a quota system.  

Its too bad it’s called a Suite Lounge. That implies that only Suite guests can enter. Perhaps they could call it a Pinnacle and Suite Lounge.  

Can anything make everyone happy?  I can guarantee you that most Pinnacles do not stay in Insides, or live close to the port.  I guess I’m not liking the feeling that some people think that they’re better than others just because they can afford , or want to spend their money on, a Suite cabin.

D+ are allowed in the Concierge lounge on the ships that have concierge lounges.  On the ships that have suite lounges and no concierge lounge, only suite guests and pinnacles are allowed.

19 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

D+ are allowed in the Concierge lounge on the ships that have concierge lounges.  On the ships that have suite lounges and no concierge lounge, only suite guests and pinnacles are allowed.

I didn’t know that.....with the different names for the same thing, it’s hard to keep track of what is allowed and what isn’t.   I like the ships like Independence (I think) that hold Happy Hour in the show lounge..lots of room, lots of seats,  nice atmosphere.....no class distinction. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I’m not being critical, but if Pinnacles are allowed in CK, one can’t complain because they are in there.  If Pinnacles filled up the Diamond Lounge, then there’s reason to complain because P’s have their own lounge.  Perhaps the P’s don’t want to pay the high prices of the specialty restaurants.  I guess you have to get there first.  It’s first come, first served. 

Interesting perspective.  I assume when you say that P's have their own lounge you are actually referring to the Suite Lounge since I have never seen a Pinnacle Lounge.  I have just the opposite view of yours.  I see the Diamond Lounge as the Crown and Anchor Lounge and feel that is the P's lounge since their status is based on C&A level not what cabin they are staying in.  Personally I have never complained about P's in the SL since I have never seen more than a couple of P's at a time in the SL.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

Interesting perspective.  I assume when you say that P's have their own lounge you are actually referring to the Suite Lounge since I have never seen a Pinnacle Lounge.  I have just the opposite view of yours.  I see the Diamond Lounge as the Crown and Anchor Lounge and feel that is the P's lounge since their status is based on C&A level not what cabin they are staying in.  Personally I have never complained about P's in the SL since I have never seen more than a couple of P's at a time in the SL.

There were lots and lots of pinnacles in suite lounge on our Oasis cruise six months ago on our other two times in suite lounge on liberty very few. But I agree they deserve to be in diamond, concierge or suite lounge due to number of days they sailed rccl, many were also in suites some also had drink package. I almost always enjoy our conversation with pinnacles. There is only one I try to avoid and have seen on a few cruises.

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

...but if Ds and D+s aren’t allowed in the CL, then really, Pinnacles shouldn’t take up space in that lounge when they have the CL to go to. It’s a matter of showing thoughtfulness. 

Again, different perspective...if Suite guests are not allowed in the DL, then really, Pinnacles shouldn't take up space in the SL/CL when they have the DL to go to.  It's a matter of showing thoughtfulness.  Double edge sword.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

Again, different perspective...if Suite guests are not allowed in the DL, then really, Pinnacles shouldn't take up space in the SL/CL when they have the DL to go to.  It's a matter of showing thoughtfulness.  Double edge sword.

If that is true Diamond plus should not be allowed in concierge lounge also since they can use diamond, I was annoyed on my true suite concierge asked us to use diamond lounge since lounge was full . No big deal just buy a drink package and drink in any bar like we do even in suites .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Oasis in January

20190520_215314.jpg

39 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

Luckily for some,you don't run C&A.

DL is to crowded to include non Diamond Suite Guests. I wonder if anyone at Miami has discussed giving suite guests 3 drinks on their Seapass?

FWIW, I have been asked by a few why I am in the DL or overflow lounges. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, mickey16 said:

I do remember striking up conversations with several of them. It was interesting to hear their stories and how they got to pinnacle status.

That's precisely why we try to avoid those who boast and brag in the lounges, pinnacles or otherwise.  There is nothing more boring than listening to folks who detail their last ten cruises and then boast about their next ten!  When we are in the CL (soon to be extinct), we want to talk to folks who have other interests!

I will be first to admit that I have yet to sail in a sky or above suite so I am speaking in a hypothetical here.  However, here is how I look at it.  RCI's rules state that Sky and Star Suite guests have earned (by paying a premium) the ability to enter exclusive parts of the ship (Suite Lounge, Suite Pool Deck, CK, etc).  RCI's rules also state that certain levels of C&A status have earned (through well established loyalty - no matter how it is calculated) the ability to enter exclusive parts of the ship.  If either one of these groups attempts to enter one of these exclusive areas and finds it to be overly crowded then how is this different than any other group going to the fitness center and finding it swamped?  The reality is that both groups have earned their status and have every right to the amenities afforded to them by the established rules.  To generalize and say that Pinnacles don't belong because they have a lesser expensive cabin or only got their status through antiquated rules is extremely short sighted and fairly brutish, IMO.

The wife and I will finally get to see what the suite life is like when we get to try out a Crown Loft on Allure next year and if we find out there is an abnormal number of Pinnacles on our sailing which could mean limited space in the Suite Lounge or difficulty getting the time we want at CK then so be it.  There are plenty of other places we can go for a drink or eat dinner.  Maybe I am missing the point and the Suite Lounge is this magical place where the nectar of the gods flows on tap but I am guessing it is more about the "free" component of the alcohol.  There was a time when this might have lit my wick but I think I am past that at this point.  

Now, if that TV doesn't fold down from the ceiling while I am in bed then that is a different story 🙂

• Like 10
  • Haha 1