Plant Based Food Coming to Regent

My DH has been vegetarian and at times vegan for greater than 40 years so I can't help weighing in. Very happy that Regent is expanding the selections available for vegetarians and incorporating into the regular menu. While DH has been pleased with menu selections on past Regent cruises it will be nice not needing to order the day before. Also just fyi many plants are genetically modified for a multitude of reasons including desired appearance and cost of production to name a couple.

Having said that Impossible burgers are made predominately from potatoes with plant source "hemoglobin" ( lephemoglobin) to add the "meaty taste" that former carnivores may crave and of course the usual cast of preservatives found in anything that is not fresh. We along with many of our friends love the taste of Impossible burgers although I concur with one of the prior posters, they are very high in sodium and people with hypertension or on sodium restricted diet for any reason should be careful about consuming them. 

Suffice it to say Kudos to Regent for recognizing a burgeoning demographic My hubby will be in hog heaven LOL

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

Not really on topic, but can’t resist....will plant based breakfast items include baked beans?

Regent has always had Baked beans on the breakfast Veranda hot service area. IMO the baked beans they serve are more English than American style.

J

1 hour ago, JMARINER said:

Regent has always had Baked beans on the breakfast Veranda hot service area. IMO the baked beans they serve are more English than American style.

J

Based on your post, do people in the UK now enjoy beans with almost raw garlic?  My DH loves British beans for breakfast but was turned off by the garlic.  IMO, the beans on Regent no longer satisfy either UK or US passengers.  

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Based on your post, do people in the UK now enjoy beans with almost raw garlic?  My DH loves British beans for breakfast but was turned off by the garlic.  IMO, the beans on Regent no longer satisfy either UK or US passengers.  

As a UK beans consumer i've never come across the 'raw garlic' issue, probably because I like most people eat the market leader product.

In the UK the brand leader - by far with a market share of 70% - is Heinz Baked Beans.  They've recently celebrated 50 years of the marketing slogan Beanz Meanz Heinz !.

I agree that the beans offered on most cruise ships, including Regent, are usually woeful, and rarely are they Heinz !

Whilst Regent should be applauded for recognising the 'plant based' trend, they, along with Seabourn and Silversea should concentrate on getting the basic products such as vegetarian/vegan sausages, burgers, and baked beans, to a good standard first.   

9 hours ago, machotspur said:

As a UK beans consumer i've never come across the 'raw garlic' issue, probably because I like most people eat the market leader product.

In the UK the brand leader - by far with a market share of 70% - is Heinz Baked Beans.  They've recently celebrated 50 years of the marketing slogan Beanz Meanz Heinz !.

I agree that the beans offered on most cruise ships, including Regent, are usually woeful, and rarely are they Heinz !

Whilst Regent should be applauded for recognising the 'plant based' trend, they, along with Seabourn and Silversea should concentrate on getting the basic products such as vegetarian/vegan sausages, burgers, and baked beans, to a good standard first.   

Have to agree with you.  We are able to purchase Heinz Baked Beans online at Amazon.  They are different (and so much better) than what we have in the U.S.

9 hours ago, machotspur said:

I agree with your sentiments. It is unfortunate that and industry leader like Regent, would choose an unheard of technical advisor to guide them in  their "Plant Based"  menu planning efforts. Regent is making their learning curve much steeper that nit need to be in this regard.

Dr. T. Colin Campbell, (Cornell University and author of the China Study )the recognized founder of the modern Plant Based movement has offered  "Plant Based" lifestyle certification program through Cornell for several years. I am sure that Regent could find a qualified Cornell graduate to guide them correctly to get their program right form the start.

J

The Impossible Burger is tasty enough but has much less protein and far more sodium than a beef burger. See this nutritional comparative analysis: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/impossible-burger

A good option for vegans who don’t have blood pressure issues, but carnivores aren’t going to be persuaded to supplant (no pun intended) beef hamburgers with these....

(re GMOs, the leading opponent has reversed himself and concluded they are not a health hazard and are the key to feeding the world’s population at reasonable cost. “Organic” farming actually is extremely inefficient and thus way too expensive and inefficient, and a negative for the environment because it requires far too much land, etc.)

>but carnivores aren’t going to be persuaded to supplant (no pun intended) beef hamburgers with these

FYI, the vast vast majority of people buying the Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger are non-vegetarians. You can see loads of videos like this: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9FED3jkNTo

Also, as someone who stopped eating meat in the 1980s, I will happily eat an Impossible Whopper, etc. 

2 hours ago, MattBallAZ said:

>but carnivores aren’t going to be persuaded to supplant (no pun intended) beef hamburgers with these

FYI, the vast vast majority of people buying the Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger are non-vegetarians. You can see loads of videos like this: 

Also, as someone who stopped eating meat in the 1980s, I will happily eat an Impossible Whopper, etc. 

And, for non-vegetarians, In my opinion, it is just a phase.  While the Beyond Burger definitely is healthier than the Impossible Burger, I will not be replacing meat in my diet by. eating them.  We don't eat red meat a lot (have replaced beef with lamb) so anything detrimental that comes from red meat could only affect us minimally. We eat mostly fish and chicken but enjoy the occasional steak onboard and a very occasional hamburger (hot dogs are related to once a year in my house).

My daughter is a vegetarian (almost vegan - she does eat eggs), and I recently had to remind her that plants are living things too that are being killed for food.  She didn't want to hear that but does understand that this is true.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

My daughter is a vegetarian (almost vegan - she does eat eggs), and I recently had to remind her that plants are living things too that are being killed for food.  She didn't want to hear that but does understand that this is true.

What an absolutely ridiculous statement.

J

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

J

Excuse me but plants are living things.  I have brought a failing plant back to life using Reiki.  If you are not familiar with this, that is fine but to call someone who knows about this topic "ridiculous"  is wrong on many levels.  Don't judge - lest you be judged!

12 hours ago, JMARINER said:

J

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Excuse me but plants are living things.  I have brought a failing plant back to life using Reiki.  If you are not familiar with this, that is fine but to call someone who knows about this topic "ridiculous"  is wrong on many levels.  Don't judge - lest you be judged!

See?  This is how threads get off track.  Everyone is so quick to categorize people into groups and then ridicule people in other groups.  Reminds me of how my youngest daughter told me she was having problems finding a decent job because she wasn't technically Gen Y or a Millennial so she didn't have the right 'traits' to find the job she wanted.

Carnivore, omnivore, vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, whatever - why should we care what others eat or what that's even called???  And although I don't necessarily agree with the moral conundrum associated with eating plants I respect someone's right to state their view.

How's this - you don't judge me for eating a big juicy steak and I won't judge you for eating kale and sprouts - live and let live...does that work?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

See?  This is how threads get off track.  Everyone is so quick to categorize people into groups and then ridicule people in other groups.  Reminds me of how my youngest daughter told me she was having problems finding a decent job because she wasn't technically Gen Y or a Millennial so she didn't have the right 'traits' to find the job she wanted.

Carnivore, omnivore, vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, whatever - why should we care what others eat or what that's even called???  And although I don't necessarily agree with the moral conundrum associated with eating plants I respect someone's right to state their view.

How's this - you don't judge me for eating a big juicy steak and I won't judge you for eating kale and sprouts - live and let live...does that work?

Well said!  Thank you.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:45 PM, MattBallAZ said:

Have you tried Beyond burgers and sausages? We just love them and in fact enjoyed the Italian style sausage for breakfast today. I enjoy mostly all of them! My current absolute favorite is Dr Praegers Super Greens Veggie Burger, not intended as a meat substitute but oh so good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pinksunset said:

As a vegetarian I agree that Dr Praegers is very good!  By the way, I certainly don’t think of any food as a “meat substitute.” I eat only what I love.  And it may involve chocolate!😊

I understand what you mean! The Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger are designed to look and taste like beef burgers while that Super Greens burger isn’t, if that makes sense and that Super Greens burger is delicious! Btw, chocolate goes with everything ...

• Like 1

Thank you, kjbacon, for understanding!  As you mentioned earlier, any movement toward a plant-based diet is to be commended.  Hopefully Regent will continue in this direction to include those of us who desire these foods.  And fine chocolate is always welcome!

As a one-time vegetarian,  and a very light meat eater, I applaud what's going on to incorporate normal vegetarian items like falafels into the menu more often.  But I have never "got" the whole meat-substitute thing.  The only time we ever got into that was if we were invited to a bbq--we'd take soy hot dogs to cook (this was in the 80's).  I have tasted a very good fake burger in my local vegan restaurant, but haven't tried Beyond Meat yet.  If I want a burger, I eat a burger (and this is very rare.)  There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan recipes/cuisines that do not involve faking some meat product!

Onboard ship I generally eat fish anyways, although this has become controversial as well, since the world's fisheries are in peril, and often not sustainable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Onboard ship I generally eat fish anyways, although this has become controversial as well, since the world's fisheries are in peril, and often not sustainable.

Sustainability is all relative - if Earth's population was 2-4 billion, we'd have plenty of resources for everyone.  But we're currently over 7 billion with 9 billion predicted by 2050 (and I've seen some estimates as high as 15 billion plus by 2100).  So it looks like what's not sustainable is the current growth in birth rate.

When I was born the world's population was just over 3 billion people - it's more than doubled in my lifetime.  THAT'S the problem.  You can ban all the plastic you want and substitute all the meat you want but the bottom line is there are just too damn many people on this rock...

Dangit - now I want a steak...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Sustainability is all relative - if Earth's population was 2-4 billion, we'd have plenty of resources for everyone.  But we're currently over 7 billion with 9 billion predicted by 2050 (and I've seen some estimates as high as 15 billion plus by 2100).  So it looks like what's not sustainable is the current growth in birth rate.

When I was born the world's population was just over 3 billion people - it's more than doubled in my lifetime.  THAT'S the problem.  You can ban all the plastic you want and substitute all the meat you want but the bottom line is there are just too damn many people on this rock...

Dangit - now I want a steak...

You are correct!  In my opinion, it is good that some people want to eat meat and others want to eat plants.  Time will tell how our food supplies are in the future.  I still feel that there is a bit of a "fad" going on right now.  Wish that I had the numbers of people that are not vegetarians (or vegans) that are eating plant based foods that are advertised so that they feel they are eating more healthy (and they probably are but will they keep it up?).  

As long as Regent continues to offer lobster, Filet Mignon, fish and chicken, we'll be happy.  Tried a Beyond Burger and was not impressed but there are some wonderful vegetarian meals that we enjoy very much.

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

You are correct!  In my opinion, it is good that some people want to eat meat and others want to eat plants.  Time will tell how our food supplies are in the future.  I still feel that there is a bit of a "fad" going on right now.  Wish that I had the numbers of people that are not vegetarians (or vegans) that are eating plant based foods that are advertised so that they feel they are eating more healthy (and they probably are but will they keep it up?).  

As long as Regent continues to offer lobster, Filet Mignon, fish and chicken, we'll be happy.  Tried a Beyond Burger and was not impressed but there are some wonderful vegetarian meals that we enjoy very much.

I'm a pretty committed carnivore/omnivore and I've had some good plant-based patties on buns before...but I have yet to try one that's comparable to good beef.  Tasty, yes...but still different, IMO.