Sunscreen

LukeyC

On 5/26/2019 at 6:26 PM, MicCanberra said:

You can also just buy compression stuff that sports people use.

That is not necessarily UV blocking.

The sun clothing is specifically made to work as sun screen.

We got Neutragina reef safe sunscreen from Amazon.

It worked quite well over several days of snorkeling on our last cruise.

We did also pick up some sun blocking, long sleeve tops, that also did a good job.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

That is not necessarily UV blocking.

The sun clothing is specifically made to work as sun screen.

That is true but it is better protection than nothing, especially if only for a few hours of snorkelling.

21 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That is true but it is better protection than nothing, especially if only for a few hours of snorkelling.

Not necessarily.  It may give you ZERO protection.

But you think you are protected.  And end up seriously burnt.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Why would a UPF rated clothing give zero protection?  

I'm on the water probably 30+ weeks/ year and wear it religiously.  I hope it is doing something.  

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I would not be zero protection as you are covering up, but yes the proper clothes would be better but not necessarily the only option.

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

Why would a UPF rated clothing give zero protection?  

I'm on the water probably 30+ weeks/ year and wear it religiously.  I hope it is doing something.  

He was saying to use something like a sports compression sleeve.  NOT rated UPF clothing.

If it not UPF rating, it may provide 0 protection, no matter what it LOOKS like it may do.

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I would not be zero protection as you are covering up, but yes the proper clothes would be better but not necessarily the only option.

Nope, just because you are "covered" does NOT mean that there is ANY protection from UV.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

He was saying to use something like a sports compression sleeve.  NOT rated UPF clothing.

If it not UPF rating, it may provide 0 protection, no matter what it LOOKS like it may do.

Aw, missed that part about the compression sleeves, thanks.   

Anyway,  having experienced the downside, I no longer mess around with sun exposure.  

8 hours ago, SRF said:

Nope, just because you are "covered" does NOT mean that there is ANY protection from UV.

Doesn't mean there isn't any either. Any clothing covering the body will be better than nothing.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Aw, missed that part about the compression sleeves, thanks.   

Anyway,  having experienced the downside, I no longer mess around with sun exposure.  

That is because I never mentioned compression sleeves. I mentioned sports compression stuff that sports people wear which here in Australia has protections but may not be the same everywhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

That is because I never mentioned compression sleeves. I mentioned sports compression stuff that sports people wear which here in Australia has protections but may not be the same everywhere. 

LOL, that would explain it!   

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

If it does not have a UPF rating, you have no idea if it provides any protection or not.  If you assume it does, you make end up looking like a cooked lobster.

YOU cannot tell by looking it something if it will protect or not.

I spent the last week vacationing at at friend's beach cottage on A1A in Florida.  I got to observe plenty of Memorial Day beach visitors and their sunscreen habits.   The worst were the ones who use spray.  I could see most of the spray going in to the air and not on their bodies especially when they tried to spray they backs.  They didn't rub it in.  And, they dove right in the water, basically giving no protection.  Then, there were the ones who did a quick application of gel or lotion and ran straight into the water.   Then, up to the ones who wore T-shirts - a white T-shirt has an SPF of about 5.  Might as well not wear it!  I did see more parents putting their kids in long-sleeve rash guards and a few in full-length suits.  

Me?  Well, my body hadn't really seen the sun in 2 years (thanks to illness).  I bought a really cool long-sleeve SPF 50 surf shirt at Ron Jon (open 24 hours in Cocoa Beach!).  I used Neutrogena Zinc if I was going in the water, Neutrogena Ultra if I wasn't. I put it on all over my body BEFORE I put on my suit.   I applied often when I was out on the beach.  My hat never left my head except to go in the water.  I was mostly successful in not getting burnt - I got a little singed where the front of my bathing suit bottoms stopped.  I need to remember to rub on a little more there after putting on the suit, I guess.  

If you are going to the pool on the ship, don't use spray - your neighbors may not want to get sprayed, too!!!

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SRF said:

If it does not have a UPF rating, you have no idea if it provides any protection or not.  If you assume it does, you make end up looking like a cooked lobster.

YOU cannot tell by looking it something if it will protect or not.

Well as most Australian sports people who wear this clothing do so outside when playing sport, the clothing is rated. So you can tell from the label when you are looking at it .

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I spent the last week vacationing at at friend's beach cottage on A1A in Florida.  I got to observe plenty of Memorial Day beach visitors and their sunscreen habits.   The worst were the ones who use spray.  I could see most of the spray going in to the air and not on their bodies especially when they tried to spray they backs.  They didn't rub it in.  And, they dove right in the water, basically giving no protection.  Then, there were the ones who did a quick application of gel or lotion and ran straight into the water.   Then, up to the ones who wore T-shirts - a white T-shirt has an SPF of about 5.  Might as well not wear it!  I did see more parents putting their kids in long-sleeve rash guards and a few in full-length suits.  

Me?  Well, my body hadn't really seen the sun in 2 years (thanks to illness).  I bought a really cool long-sleeve SPF 50 surf shirt at Ron Jon (open 24 hours in Cocoa Beach!).  I used Neutrogena Zinc if I was going in the water, Neutrogena Ultra if I wasn't. I put it on all over my body BEFORE I put on my suit.   I applied often when I was out on the beach.  My hat never left my head except to go in the water.  I was mostly successful in not getting burnt - I got a little singed where the front of my bathing suit bottoms stopped.  I need to remember to rub on a little more there after putting on the suit, I guess.  

If you are going to the pool on the ship, don't use spray - your neighbors may not want to get sprayed, too!!!

People who use the sprays are not really do anything unless it is spread (rubbed) evenly.

• Like 2