First day-MDR-dress?

10 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

You know, I've mulled this over for a couple hours now and I'm no closer to appreciating how one draws a correlation among jeans, cuisine and liquor. To suggest that people who love martinis but hate ties and little black dresses will somehow be happy with Cracker Barrel quality "cuisine" is beyond preposterous. But then what do I care? 🙄

Did anyone but you mention jeans and Cracker Barrel quality cuisine? I certainly don't care what someone who can't ever seem to comment on a subject with making it a personal insult thinks either. 

I'm wounded to the core. LOL

Edited by Ma Bell

18 hours ago, hcat said:

Great choice of cabins...dining on EDGE is excellent!

Looking forward to trying Edge with the granddaughters and my daughter-in-law. It's a graduation trip and should be wonderful.

It's a shame they have to go back to try to mitigate some of the problems with the design but at least they're trying. Having the majority of the cabins be Infinite Verandas is a tough one. It's difficult for me to imagine what they were thinking with that design. Also the lack of thought about the upper deck open spaces for dining and relaxing with out any covering or sheltering those areas is perplexing.

During when formal nights were the norm on Celebrity, CC had to move all the dress-code posts to a special thread because so many threads were started on the same subject over and over and most got nasty and were closed up. So now we have relatively relaxed dress for all evenings but we just can’t keep from taking a simple ‘what is allowed the first night’ thread and go into 4 pages of back and forth. Wild isn’t it. And I’m as bad as everyone else continuing to post here! 

Personally, I take a sports coat and wear it on some evenings because I feel good dressing up just a bit beyond the polo and khakis uniform of the day. But that is me. love pockets! And I don’t care what others wear except for the silly t-shirts with stupid stuff written and pictured on them.   I’m not vacationing in some amusement park. 

Do we ever notice its us guys who whine the most about dressing beyond the shorts and t-shirt look? My favorite posts during the more formal dress days of cruising was when some guy would say they had to wear a coat and tie to work and this was their vacation so they wouldn’t, which means: I’ll wear it because I get paid, but not when my wife would like it. Got it. 

Den 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Just want to throw in there that in case anyone hasn't noticed, nobody dresses up for anything anymore, weddings, funerals, restaurants. Just a general change in society.  Not saying I agree with it, just saying. 

Last year we were at a wedding. Everyone was dressed accordingly. At the reception, we "Let it down" a bit. Took off coats & removed ties, but coats & dress pants stayed on. One guy showed up in a t shirt(crappy one) & rather cheesy shorts. None of us remembered him at the wedding. Well, because he was never there! The reception was at a large rest. & this bum snuck in for the food. 3 of us literally kicked him out the door. We had to position someone from the rest. to avoid having it happen again. Turns out the bar was right next door. An easy way for someone to snag a free meal.

6 hours ago, Denny01 said:

During when formal nights were the norm on Celebrity, CC had to move all the dress-code posts to a special thread because so many threads were started on the same subject over and over and most got nasty and were closed up. So now we have relatively relaxed dress for all evenings but we just can’t keep from taking a simple ‘what is allowed the first night’ thread and go into 4 pages of back and forth. Wild isn’t it. And I’m as bad as everyone else continuing to post here! 

Personally, I take a sports coat and wear it on some evenings because I feel good dressing up just a bit beyond the polo and khakis uniform of the day. But that is me. love pockets! And I don’t care what others wear except for the silly t-shirts with stupid stuff written and pictured on them.   I’m not vacationing in some amusement park. 

Do we ever notice its us guys who whine the most about dressing beyond the shorts and t-shirt look? My favorite posts during the more formal dress days of cruising was when some guy would say they had to wear a coat and tie to work and this was their vacation so they wouldn’t, which means: I’ll wear it because I get paid, but not when my wife would like it. Got it. 

Den 

Going back further in the 90s when this board started there were very few dress threads. The reason was you either dressed properly according to the dress code for the EVENING  or you ate in your room from room service. No specialties and no buffet for dinner.

Edited by dkjretired

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Going back further in the 90s when this board started there were very few dress threads. The reason was you either dressed properly according to the dress code for the EVENING  or you ate in your room from room service. No specialties and no buffet for dinner.

My God! How did the DD crowd(Dress Down)cope??! Oh, the humanity of it all. Problem is, too many take their styling cue from people like Zuckerberg, who dress like slobs half the time. It was most enjoyable to hear about Ed Sherran getting booted out of the diningroom on the QM2 for improper dress. He had specially sailed with Cunard for promotion & he still was denied entrance to the dining room. Now, that's enforcement of the dress codes!

The nice thing about Cunard is they sent a little booklet on the planned type of events like the  AfternoonTea, etc and fully expain the type of  dress that is expected.  No one is forced to attend  but once you do..you know what to wear.

X has a very modern approach  with the new Chic nights, but there are always those who do what they want regardless...because they are special! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithm said:

Problem is, too many take their styling cue from people like Zuckerberg, who dress like slobs half the time.

Agree with you, but one clarification: Zuckerberg dresses like a slob 99% of the time. 😁

3 hours ago, keithm said:

My God! How did the DD crowd(Dress Down)cope??! Oh, the humanity of it all. Problem is, too many take their styling cue from people like Zuckerberg, who dress like slobs half the time. It was most enjoyable to hear about Ed Sherran getting booted out of the diningroom on the QM2 for improper dress. He had specially sailed with Cunard for promotion & he still was denied entrance to the dining room. Now, that's enforcement of the dress codes!

Why should MZ care?  With a current net worth of 68.5 billion dollars, MZ couldn’t care care less what anyone thinks about his manner of dress.   And most of his employees dress casually in tee shirts, shorts, and sandals at worK.  As with most high tech silicone valley employees.   Most are millionaires many times over.  

Welcome to the 21st century.😀

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Why should MZ care?  With a current net worth of 68.5 billion dollars, MZ couldn’t care care less what anyone thinks about his manner of dress.   And most of his employees dress casually in tee shirts, shorts, and sandals at worK.  As with most high tech silicone valley employees.   Most are millionaires many times over.  

I'm worth nothing and could care less what anyone thinks about what I wear. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The first night at all the restaurants is relaxed clothing restrictions. I for one live in shorts and have never had to wear long pants on the first night. I do however were a nice golf shirt. They allow you to dress as you want on the first night as your luggage may not arrived. The rest of the time on the ship you will have to follow the dress code.

Hope this helps!

8 hours ago, davekathy said:

I'm worth nothing and could care less what anyone thinks about what I wear. 

Uhh, if you were worth nothing, I sincerely doubt you would be taking cruises, now would you?

20 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

The only time I ever saw Zuckerberg dressed up was appearing either in court or in front of the Senate. Being in the food industry(catering)I've found techies to be on average,  the most clueless group of boorish people I've ever seen. I mean how do you deal with slobs who think nothing of sticking their finger in the food, tasting it & moving down the line to the next chafer & doing the same. That one person just contaminated the food for 300 other people.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, keithm said:

The only time I ever saw Zuckerberg dressed up was appearing either in court or in front of the Senate. Being in the food industry(catering)I've found techies to be on average,  the most clueless group of boorish people I've ever seen. I mean how do you deal with slobs who think nothing of sticking their finger in the food, tasting it & moving down the line to the next chafer & doing the same. That one person just contaminated the food for 300 other people.

I have seen that filthy behavior, and worst ,  like coughing into their hand, then picking up the serving utensils, picking or eating the food on their plate, while moving down the buffet line in the  Princess Lido buffet.  Or handling the fruit, or bread, and then putting them back.  Yuck.  😱😱 plenty of uncouth PAXs, in all manner of dress. 👎👎

That’s why I usually dine in the Princess MDR whenever possible.

No so with my cruise line of choice, Oceania.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner always served by waitstaff in GDR, or food servers in the Terrace Cafe Buffett. That’s what I like about Oceania. 👍👍

8 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I have seen that filthy behavior, and worst ,  like coughing into their hand, then picking up the serving utensils, picking or eating the food on their plate, while moving down the buffet line in the  Princess Lido buffet.  Or handling the fruit, or bread, and then putting them back.  Yuck.  😱😱 plenty of uncouth PAXs, in all manner of dress. 👎👎

That’s why I usually dine in the Princess MDR whenever possible.

No so with my cruise line of choice, Oceania.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner always served by waitstaff in GDR, or food servers in the Terrace Cafe Buffett. That’s what I like about Oceania. 👍👍

Same here. Oceania has the best method of serving food I've seen on a cruise line. You really can't touch the food yourself!

11 hours ago, Kruzer Zuker said:

We wear cargo shorts and t-shirts on first and last night. 

You seem to prefer cargo shorts and tees

A  Prior post on Royal ( I think) shows you are a  casual cruiser but aware of the dress codes...Dress to Impress night would mean more than cargo shorts to most!  The replies on that thread were less than appreciative!

Just got back from a week long cruise and we both wore cargo shorts and t-shirts every night to mdr including dress to impress nights. Didn't see any tux but there were suits and cocktail dresses and gym shorts and cartoon t-shirts. You will be fine.
Edited by hcat

6 hours ago, hcat said:

A  Prior post on Royal ( I think) shows you are a  casual cruiser but aware of the dress codes...Dress to Impress night would mean more than cargo shorts to most!  The replies on that thread were less than appreciative!

Just got back from a week long cruise and we both wore cargo shorts and t-shirts every night to mdr including dress to impress nights. Didn't see any tux but there were suits and cocktail dresses and gym shorts and cartoon t-shirts. You will be fine.

You did?  And the Maitre D allowed you in the MDR every night including dress to impress nights? 

So you consider gym shorts and cartoon tee shirts fine for dress to impress night wear?   Do you mean Formal Night dining in the Royal’s MDR? Or some other cruise line?  If yes, then IMO the Formal Night dress policy on has really eroded.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hcat said:

The usual forum fashion police and busy bodies responses were indeed amusing.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

You did?  And the Maitre D allowed you in the MDR every night including Formal Nights?  

So you consider gym shorts and cartoon tee shirts fine for Formal  Nights wear? 

That was on Royal. The previous poster felt the need to quote my post from Royal board.   But yes, gym shorts were fine on Royal's dress to impress nights.  

On our most recent Royal cruise we only went to MDR on night 1 (boarding night) and 2  (first dress to impress night), wearing cargo shorts and t shirts of course.  From night 3 on for the rest of the cruise we decided to have dinners elsewhere.   Then on the afternoon of day 6 (second dress to impress night) our head waiter actually sent chocolate covered strawberries to our cabin and a note to invite us back to MDR.