Entertainment: what he heck happened?

And thinking about it, we've cruised 3 times on Regent within the last 2 1/2 years.  With Regents high cruisers return factor they not only do they need to step it up, but make some changes in the shows.  It's the same old shows year after year---Our next cruise will be a b2b for 30 days----how many times do I need to see the same production shows over and over.

Everyone is right,  Regent our you hearing what your customers are telling you?

• Like 1

Don’t expect a wider range of offerings on the world cruise. We were on the 2018 world cruise, and exactly the same five production shows were on each and every segment. We also happened to be on a grand voyage a few months before the world cruise, which featured the same five shows.

I don’t think the poor entertainment has anything to do with the ship you are on. We experienced the absolutely worst entertainment on our Explorer cruise last October. Yes, the 

production shows were cringeworthy (especially Peggy Lee, which just about everyone walked out of), but they also had a lifeless duo and a pianist who could not carry a tune. We are in our mid-sixties/early seventies and feel that the entertainment on Regent is geared to a much older clientele than we are. We are still young enough to enjoy some lively entertainment, especially late night, and, with a couple of exceptions, that is hard to find on Regent.

i agree that the in-house entertainment is often better than the performers that are brought in. While we have not experienced John Barron, we have enjoyed shows by Margaret Lynn and Marla (social hostess). Some of the best shows on last year’s world cruise were performed by guests!

• Like 1

In our experience the quality of entertainment on Regent can vary significantly from cruise to cruise. It is dependant on;

• The quality and experience of the production cast and the talent of the individual members. (In our opinion, this was the same for the previous Jean Ann Ryan companies as it is for the in-house teams now performing)
  • The talents of the show-band (the smaller numbers can no longer be called an orchestra) and lounge performers
  • The number and genre of visiting artists
  • The efforts and talents of the CD, Asst CD and Social Hostess

Overlay onto this the subjective nature of entertainment and, for regular cruisers, whether particular shows and performers have been seen previously.

Having said all this, it does appear from all the reports that the entertainment on Seven Seas Mariner's recent cruises has been particularly poor and needs a shake up; plus some new shows on all the ships would be very welcome.

40 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Don’t expect a wider range of offerings on the world cruise. We were on the 2018 world cruise, and exactly the same five production shows were on each and every segment. We also happened to be on a grand voyage a few months before the world cruise, which featured the same five shows.

I was just reading that they have a string quartet on the Oceania WC ship, and they play most days.  This is a ship that's a bit smaller than Mariner, and far less roomy, so why can't they do this on Regent?

• Like 1

Agree with BBWC about the entertainment being the same on all of the ships.  However, what is different is how long the group has onboard (i.e. are they are the beginning, middle or end of their contract).  It sounds as if the group on Mariner may have been new (not an excuse - they should be well rehearsed before boarding this ship).  

IOO (in my opinion only) the "Regent Signature Orchestra" has been significantly better in the last couple of years.  Many of the members of the orchestra have been from the the Ukraine and areas around there and have been quite amazing.

Rick, from reading your posts, it sounds as if you rarely go to shows and have commented about this (we rarely go to shows either).  As you have mentioned, people on Regent (or Seabourn or Silversea) do not cruise for the entertainment.  If they did, it is likely that they would be very disappointed.  So, I did not really understand the post you made at the top of this page.

In terms of production shows, I can remember sailing on Regent and seeing the same shows all the time when they had the Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers but understand that that they cannot really come up with new shows constantly.  If you are on a long cruise or if you sail frequently with Regent, you'll likely see the shows repeated.  

In terms of Oceania (which we only sailed on twice), IOO, the string quartet was nice but would certainly not keep people entertained for multiple days (and, on the Riviera, they performed in what was like a hallway - strange place). I would not see this as a big attraction on Regent.

7 hours ago, Gilly said:

Regent targets the AT cruises to their American customer base, of course.  My point is that these cruises are also sold (with less emphasis on the AT involvement) to their international customers, many of whom would like to participate fully in whatever programme is offered.

I am aware that on your particular cruise there were less people from North America than there normally is.  Perhaps it is because the reports that we get in the U.S. regarding the Bering Sea are quite frightening (many crab fishermen lose their lives in the Bering Sea every year).  My percentage (80%) of cruises consist of North Americans comes from Regent (almost 3 years ago).  Some Med. cruises have a higher percentage of Europeans (IOO) Regent often runs "sales" in Europe when cruises are not booking up fast enough..... it cost them less for Europeans as the airfare is much less on Med. cruises; and 2). 

I can only speak for us but we have no expectation when we are on a cruise to be able to participate fully in everything offered.  During our first Artful Traveler cruise we did not participate to the extent that we did in February.  When it comes to special cruises such as the PBS/Artful traveler cruisers, it behooves passengers to check out the information that is available on the Regent website for those sailings.  These cruises are definitely not for everyone.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Rick, from reading your posts, it sounds as if you rarely go to shows and have commented about this (we rarely go to shows either).  As you have mentioned, people on Regent (or Seabourn or Silversea) do not cruise for the entertainment.  If they did, it is likely that they would be very disappointed.  So, I did not really understand the post you made at the top of this page.

In terms of production shows, I can remember sailing on Regent and seeing the same shows all the time when they had the Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers but understand that that they cannot really come up with new shows constantly.  If you are on a long cruise or if you sail frequently with Regent, you'll likely see the shows repeated.  

Simple, I don't cruise for shows and don't go to most, however when I do go I expect the show to be good.  On the last cruise we attended 2 production shows and walked out of both.  The singer in the lounge before dinner wasn't good and way too loud for people to talk.  I'd like to go to a show after dinner from time to time and want to sit and see the whole show-It's my choice to go or not go-since I'm not the only person on the ship you'd think Regent would want to give a good show to those that want to see a show.

As far a changing shows, they could do it once a year to keep it fresh, after all the return cruise is a high number.

• Like 1

The more I think about this and so many people on the ships talking, plus this CC post about how bad the entertainment is one would think Regent management would have something to say about the comments by now.  We know they read these post, so a comment about Regents thinking would be nice about now.

I'm sure that Regent's PTB (powers that be) are also reading that the entertainment is no better on Seabourn or Silversea.  It seems that luxury cruisers understand that the ships are small and that the shows will not be up to the level of larger ships.  On the other hand,  singers should be able to sing in tune.

However, they can control the volume and this is a rather new problem (since the launch of Explorer).  Lounge entertainment used to be mellow and very much in the background.  Someone obviously changed this and the music in lounges is now annoying.   

From reading this thread and the posts from the Mariner cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver, there were issues with the quality of the singers/dancers, etc.  As how been said by others, Regent's entertainment is no better or worse than it was 10 years ago -- it is just different.

I will ask my friend that has done multiple world cruises if anything is special is done.  Over the years I have never heard a complaint from either my friend or people that post from the world cruises.  If anyone could get fed up with the entertainment, it is likely passengers that take long cruises.

P.S.  Agree that new shows should be introduced yearly but certainly not at the same time.   

Edited by Travelcat2

TC,  No one is say that Regent should have big Broadway Shows like the mega ships, just decent entertainment in the show room, lounges and any place on the ship.  If Regent standard is Seaboum and Silversea OK, but I think in Regents marketing wants the to be ahead of the competition-if that's the case they should be doing something about it.

• Like 3

I do think the amplification that Regent uses affects the quality of the singers voices as well as distorting the sound of instruments and making productions uncomfortably loud. The volume alone is certainly annoying in the lounges.

How difficult can it be to at least cut the volume level which may also help with some of the distortion?  On my next cruise I now have an app on my phone to measure decibels so will check out the volume in various venues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

TC,  No one is say that Regent should have big Broadway Shows like the mega ships, just decent entertainment in the show room, lounges and any place on the ship.  If Regent standard is Seaboum and Silversea OK, but I think in Regents marketing wants the to be ahead of the competition-if that's the case they should be doing something about it.

I have no idea how much weight Regent puts on what other luxury cruise lines are doing but I suspect that they are paying attention.  Regent tends to be in the forefront of making changes before other luxury cruise lines do (examples are being all-inclusive, the non-smoking policy in suites/balconies and the relaxed dress code).  

It really sounded as if Regent was excited about having NCL's company provide entertainment for Oceania and Regent (and, I can attest to the fact that NCL has some great entertainment).  Not sure what they think of it now as it is no better than what they had before (and before that).

I guess that, since I read CC constantly (many boards - not just the Regent board), I am aware of what other passengers are complaining about.  It is possible that Regent has more people complaining than other luxury cruise lines.  However, they are also doing better than at least one if not two luxury cruise lines (not naming names).

Regent (and other luxury lines) have done just fine with their mediocre entertainment.  The one cruise line that supposedly has top entertainment (Crystal) we will be trying in September.  Even with their entertainment, enrichment classes and lectures, I wonder how they are really doing with their two ocean going ships.  All I know is that we received two price decreases on our upcoming cruise which sounds to me that they are not filling their ships (this is something that has occurred in the past).

If I were in charge of Regent (which I would love to be - even for one day:classic_ninja:) entertainment would not be on my list of what I would want to improve.  In fact, it would likely be at the bottom of my list. Edited to say that I would immediately demand the lowering of the sound in all lounges and the theater.  If people are hard of hearing, I would make headphones available for them.   

Edited by Travelcat2

As we have not been on Mariner recently, we obviously cannot comment on the quality of the current entertainment troupe, which recent posters have consistently rated poorly.  I would, however, like to comment on the topic of this thread, which is "entertainment-what the heck happened?", with the usual disclaimers of it being only our opinion, etc.

We cruised on Regent twice in 2018, on the Explorer and the Voyager.  On both cruises we were pretty much blown away with the quality of the entertainment- in a good way.  We thought that the singers and dancers were superb, did not detect one off note or misstep.  The orchestrations were perfection, the back lit LED scenery beautiful, the lighting, sound system all impressive.  We were not the only ones who felt this way, pretty much every performance received a standing O. In our experience, the Jean Ann Ryan entertainers were good, but under NCL it has been great.

We  also cruised on Crystal last year, and for us, the entertainment in Regent was it's equal.  We were on Silversea a few months ago, and while SS is an excellent line, the entertainment does not belong in the same conversation as Regent or Crystal.

Only our opinions, etc.

I would also like to add that the current duo performing in the Mariner lounges is our very favorite lounge performers, not only on Regent but on any cruise line.

Different strokes.

Bob

• Like 1

I will give my opinion on entertainment on the 2019 World Cruise.  This was our second Regent cruise.  The Jean Ryan group was on our first cruise.  Before boarding the Navigator this January, I reread my "story" about our first Regent cruise.  It said we felt the entertainment was the best we have ever seen on any cruise.  The singers and dancers on the 2019 World Cruise were very talented.  The production shows, we felt, were geared to a much older audience.  We had the opportunity to see each of the four shows 7 times.  We saw each one twice.  We spent a lot of time with the 11 singers and dancers throughout the cruise.  They told us they are not allowed to deviate from the production shows.  They were allowed to deviate from the Regent James Bond Show.  We have never seen the original show but the show they put on was the best show we have ever seen on a cruise ship.  We actually watched it all three times.  Then different cast members did their own shows.  All were very good.  The final show with Frank and Gabby took away our favorite show from James Bond to their show.  The show (and the last song of our cruise) ended with "I've had the time of my life."  Imagine the movie.  We had the song and dance complete with the "flying" off the stage.    

And then we had guest entertainers.  They each had two shows.  We tried to make the first performance.  Sometimes we walked out.  Sometimes we made it to the end but skipped the second performance.  There were five or six entertainers who got us back for the second show.  Ones that stand out in my mind - The 3 Divas; the Australian Tap Dancers; the Irish Ventriloquist.

We continuously put on our comment cards (I think we filled out 15) that the production shows were dull; the singers and dancers shows which they produced were fantastic; the comedians were British, Australian, etc. and we did not get their humor; and just let the singers and dancers produce more shows and skip the guest entertainers.    

We also learned all singers and dancers rehearse in Tampa.  When they are sent to a ship, the stage is a different size so the show has to be changed to fit the stage.  Three of our singers and dancers stayed onboard to help the new group adjust to the new stage.  They were also going to cover the games so the new group had more time to rehearse.

22 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I was just reading that they have a string quartet on the Oceania WC ship, and they play most days.  This is a ship that's a bit smaller than Mariner, and far less roomy, so why can't they do this on Regent?

The String Quartet on Oceania (at least on Riviera and Marina, not sure about the old R ships) is wonderful.  They play when you are boarding and that adds a great deal of "class" to what is already a great experience.  then they play at tea time in the Horizon lounge.  (Oceania's teas make Regent look like amateurs!).  That is also wonderful.  I haven't heard them play in any bars in the evenings though but then we rarely go to bars aside from after dinner for a Calvados...

One would have thought that Regent could borrow this idea!  

21 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of Oceania (which we only sailed on twice), IOO, the string quartet was nice but would certainly not keep people entertained for multiple days (and, on the Riviera, they performed in what was like a hallway - strange place). I would not see this as a big attraction on Regent.

Jackie - the String quartet only plays in the hallway during boarding.  On all the other days they play at teatime in the Horizon lounge.

I hope TC will attend some of the shows on her upcoming cruise on Crystal.  Crystal does spend a lot of money on talent for sure.  Don’t miss the Magic Castle show it is amazing and limited seating so be sure to go to the library to pick up tickets the first day in the library at no cost.

Edited by MalbecWine

8 hours ago, boblerm said:

As we have not been on Mariner recently, we obviously cannot comment on the quality of the current entertainment troupe, which recent posters have consistently rated poorly.  I would, however, like to comment on the topic of this thread, which is "entertainment-what the heck happened?", with the usual disclaimers of it being only our opinion, etc.

We cruised on Regent twice in 2018, on the Explorer and the Voyager.  On both cruises we were pretty much blown away with the quality of the entertainment- in a good way.  We thought that the singers and dancers were superb, did not detect one off note or misstep.  The orchestrations were perfection, the back lit LED scenery beautiful, the lighting, sound system all impressive.  We were not the only ones who felt this way, pretty much every performance received a standing O. In our experience, the Jean Ann Ryan entertainers were good, but under NCL it has been great.

We  also cruised on Crystal last year, and for us, the entertainment in Regent was it's equal.  We were on Silversea a few months ago, and while SS is an excellent line, the entertainment does not belong in the same conversation as Regent or Crystal.

Only our opinions, etc.

I would also like to add that the current duo performing in the Mariner lounges is our very favorite lounge performers, not only on Regent but on any cruise line.

Different strokes.

Bob

I would agree with you, we cruised on the Explorer and enjoyed the production shows.  However the same shows on Mariner was good---that said the cruise line should have continuity though out the Regent line without exception. That is what they sell.  And again we choose Regent for a lot of reasons which is why we enjoy the cruise line.

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

The String Quartet on Oceania (at least on Riviera and Marina, not sure about the old R ships) is wonderful.  They play when you are boarding and that adds a great deal of "class" to what is already a great experience.  then they play at tea time in the Horizon lounge.  (Oceania's teas make Regent look like amateurs!).  That is also wonderful.  I haven't heard them play in any bars in the evenings though but then we rarely go to bars aside from after dinner for a Calvados...

One would have thought that Regent could borrow this idea!  

Yes please, Regent!  As for the teas, I do remember that, and I'm just as glad that Regent doesn't go all out on this every day--I have to avoid "tea time" like the plague!

Wendy - I know what you mean!   Ken loves sweet things and he attacks the cakes/scones etc with what seems to me like "wild abandon" but he never gains a gram.  I prefer salty things and would dearly love to survive on tea sandwiches but dare not!  Still Earl Grey tea and music has no calories!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Wendy - I know what you mean!   Ken loves sweet things and he attacks the cakes/scones etc with what seems to me like "wild abandon" but he never gains a gram.  I prefer salty things and would dearly love to survive on tea sandwiches but dare not!  Still Earl Grey tea and music has no calories!

True enough!  

boblerm - thank you for your insight - both Regent and Crystal.  We have also seen some great shows on Regent.  The group on the Mariner recently must have been in getting used to the ship and practicing on a smaller stage. 

As has been said repeatedly, the extreme volume in the theater and lounges can distort the voice quality.  It sounds as if Regent is shooting themselves in the foot (and hurting our hearing) by permitting the volume to be so loud.

MalbecWine - thank you for the hint.  We have been to the Magic Castle in Hollywood and are looking forward to seeing the "magic" on Crystal.

Rick - I agree that there should be continuity throughout the Regent line, however, if you really think about it - it is almost impossible to accomplish (even shows in the U.S. and restaurants struggle with consistency).  It reminds me of chefs that use the exact same ingredients, exact same measurements and have different outcomes..... perhaps the heat was a bit too high or low, the moisture in the air was different or ???  Having sailed on each ship multiple times, we feel that Regent does a very good job with consistency but they will never be perfect.   

Gerry and Wendy -- sorry but I really dislike the "String Quartet" on Oceania (well, they are okay for 5 minutes but that is all).  We all have our own "type" of music that we enjoy.  Some posters think that Margaret Lynn and Marla put on a great show.  They do but we do not care for country music.  I love the Beatles and my DH can't stand them.  I enjoy Frank Sinatra and some of the singers from the "old days" (Frank Sinatra was popular before my time - I knew of him because my Dad played his records).  And, Gerry, they really were playing in the hallway (around Happy Hour time) on the Riviera when we were there.  

The complaints about "old" music makes me laugh a bit.  Most great musicals are quite old and are still being performed today.  I looked up the musical "Cats" by Andrew Lloyd Weber (of course I picked "Cats"🐈).  The musical debuted in the West End in 1981 so it will be 40 years old in a year and a half.  

Edited by Travelcat2

The "best" show anyone has ever seen on a cruise ship is still second rate entertainment. Let's face it, unless they're booking a particular star, entertainers who do cruise ships are those who have not or cannot make it in more important venues. 

OK, everyone as an opinion and that's good because it works for all of us.  But you have to start with decent talent, if someone can't hold a tune, or dance to a standard set by Regent they shouldn't be hired in the first place.  No expects great talent, just basic good.  Saying they rehearse on a big stage, but have to adjust to a smaller sage is just excuses.  But again it's just opinions and it it works for you - great.

2 hours ago, wripro said:

The "best" show anyone has ever seen on a cruise ship is still second rate entertainment. Let's face it, unless they're booking a particular star, entertainers who do cruise ships are those who have not or cannot make it in more important venues. 

Although I agree with this to some extent, not all musicians want to be big "stars".  

The world is just chock full of absolutey fabulous musicians.  I know quite a few of them, and they would be stars on Regent.

Memorable for me is pianist Ross (I've been digging for his last name but can't find it.)   He is a wonderful, versatile performer who just happens to like working on the ships.  (My husband has a god son who's doing this--he's a fabulous jazz pianist and swing dancer.)

On the other hand, the good old "Spontaneous Duo" has been memorable on several cruises--do not like them at all.