Foreign Currency Purchase: On Board or at Bank?

syesmar

I know that HAL uses the Bank of America exchange rate on board.  I have used their service a few times to get a little cash on board, but it’s been a while.  I got burned in Turkey when I counted on this in advance and they didn’t have it on board.  

I will be traveling to Amsterdam and then cruise to Norway.  Some of my days will require a small amount of Euros and NOK.  

Am I better getting the currency at my local Bank of America before leaving or waiting to do so on board?  (I am aware that I can withdraw by ATM using my credit or debit cards, but I’m asking specifically about choosing between my local branch and on board).

THANKS!

1 minute ago, syesmar said:

I know that HAL uses the Bank of America exchange rate on board.  I have used their service a few times to get a little cash on board, but it’s been a while.  I got burned in Turkey when I counted on this in advance and they didn’t have it on board.  

I will be traveling to Amsterdam and then cruise to Norway.  Some of my days will require a small amount of Euros and NOK.  

Am I better getting the currency at my local Bank of America before leaving or waiting to do so on board?  (I am aware that I can withdraw by ATM using my credit or debit cards, but I’m asking specifically about choosing between my local branch and on board).

THANKS!

My BoA used to keep common currencies on hand--euros, pounds, Canadian dollars, and I didn't have to pay to have the currency shipped. Now, even though I'm willing to be they hold some of these currencies in my branch, they charge the shipping fee for any exchange. So check with your branch (or at the website) to see how muchthat is.

You'll  need Euros for Amsterdam before your cruise, so if you don't want to use an ATM when you arrive there, you'll need to get them somewhere. I think the BoA shipping fee applies only once even if you're ordering multiple currencies. MIght as well order it all from BoA in advance and be sure you have it. 

Of course I do not know the place of your arrival, the amount of cash you will need, but it will be very easy to find an ATM at Schiphol airport or the Amsterdam Central station to find some euro's. We pay almost everything with a debet or credit card. 

I myself seldom carry foreign valuta when I leave the Netherlands. In Norway I pay/paid everything with a credit card. If I wish to have for example US dollars or Japanese yen etc,  I go to Amsterdam to Pott Exchange on the Damrak near the Dam (do not mixup with GWIK at short distance, their cost is higher); I could never find better exchange rates (Schiphol banks are IMO very expensive to exchange dollars in Euro). https://www.pottchange.com/  Here you can calculate their exchange rate if f.e. you bring dollars. Hope it helps.

Whether to get the currency in advance or on the ship depends to some extent on how much you want to get. If I need a significant amount of Euro, I prefer to get them in advance; the fee on the ship is generally higher.

I have never attempted to get Norwegian Krone on the ship, and am not sure they carry it. As a matter of fact, in all the times I have been to Norway, I don't remember ever purchasing their currency at all. Perhaps I just am not a spender, but the few times I have made a purchase in Norway I have used either a credit card, or US currency; I did receive change in Krone.

3 hours ago, syesmar said:

THANKS!

Neither....go ATM  unless you want to pay % commission.  

Last year we did a land tour of Italy and before we left home we ordered Euros direct from Bank of America and I think we did it online. We paid no fees for exchange rate if they charged to mail the money to us, it wasn't more than $5. While in Italy we used ATM machine for more Euros. The last day at the Rome airport we used up all of our remaining Euros for breakfast instead of the CC. I think we came home with a one euro coin.

It really depends how much currency you want, how long you will be there.

We now buy in country.  We find that the rates are much better as is this choice of denominations.  But we go for longer periods.  Don't think that a small amount on a day port stop makes much difference. Especially if you carry a credit card that does not have a 2.5-3 percent surcharge on the exchange rates.