7/20/19 Ruby Alaska Inside or Balcony

klenklen

Having to attend a wedding in Seattle on 7/27 the day the Ruby returns to Seattle we seem to be locked in the 7/20 Ruby (perhaps the most expensive week to cruise in Alaska.)

First time to Alaska for DW and I and debating inside or balcony and saving $1500 by going inside.

What's the consensus do you save and spend time on deck and on excursions or spring for the balcony?

Just found out the wedding venue is north of Seattle so will also look into another departure port/date.

Looking for feedback from experienced Alaska travelers.

Thanks

You ignored one choice between inside and balcony - an outside cabin.  We never take a balcony as I consider it a total waste of money but I also never take an inside as I need light.  You can even take an obstructed view outside to save a bit over a normal outside.

DON

On an AK cruise definitely get a balcony.  The sun will be out most of the day and standing on your balcony will allow you fantastic views.  It is so much nicer to be able to go out in your PJs instead of dressing to go up on deck.  Sometimes I would wake up at night and grab a house coat to go out onto the balcony and watch.  

• Like 2

If you can spare the extra expense, Alaska is definitely the one destination I would splurge on a balcony. You will be amazed at the scenery and wildlife you can experience from your own comfortable balcony, wrapped up in a blanket and gazing through your binoculars. It's worth it.

• Like 1

With 15 cruises to Alaska under my belt I can say that a balcony is a waste of money. It's to cold to spend much time out on the balcony. We spend so little time in our cabin, why spend the money on a balcony. The few times I've had a balcony I've stood on my balcony looked up and down and haven't anyone else out on there baloney. The only time we've used a balcony is when we pulled into port or when we were in Glacier Bay and then we went up on the upper decks and walked around. I would get a inside cabin in a minute but my wife has to have some natural sunlight so we get a obstructed view outside cabin.  

Inside and spend the money on the expensive excursions. I would also add in thermo spa if and I can’t recall there are areas to see outside either from the spa chairs or another area on Ruby. We did an inside, got the spa pass and great excursions and still came out ahead on our Alaska trips. I really enjoy the bit of luxury of the spa space and the escape from the outside cold weather if needed!

• Like 1

I booked an inside cabin for our cruise  (on the Royal Princess, not the Ruby) in 10 days. The price differential was $1000 per person. But, a week ago I received an upgrade offer-$79 each for a balcony. So we changed. 

Edited by PandaBear62
  • Like 5

I just booked two weeks in an inside cabin to Alaska. I'm going solo, but a balcony for me was going to be just $630 more for both cruises. We had a balcony for our last cruise to Alaska. It was great the few hours were at the glaciers. We did not use it much otherwise. I'm perfectly happy just to be going. Save your money for excursions, specialty dining, and other splurges.

25+ trips to Alaska and have never had a balcony.  Sure I'd like one but would rather spend the money on excursions and other bills. There are many places on the ship for outside viewing and it's nice to have several different viewpoints

I loved having a balcony!  We spent so much time out there - the entire day in Glacier Bay, and in between ports (its light till 10pm or later!) - we saw so much wildlife (whales, otters, seals) and gorgeous scenery, it was awesome!

• Like 1

We're leaving on our 16th Alaska cruise this month, 8th on Ruby.  The question might be:  have you ever stayed in an inside before?  Did it bother you in any way?  A couple other things:  if the weather is bad, you wouldn't use your balcony anyway, and the days are getting shorter in late July so not as much sunlight in the evenings.  The upper decks are so much fun on GB day:  carts of hot toddies being pushed around and happy people oohing and ahhing, listening for the telltale "gunshot".  We always get an inside --- I just checked your cruise and they're half of what a balcony would be ... and there are lots of balconies left.  Would you like to choose an inside and then take a possible upgrade or upsell?  It's possible with so many cabins left unsold right now.  Also, re your wedding ... you'll be fine ... you don't need another cruise date or port.  We can be home to Portland as soon as 2pm after disembarking at Pier 91 and it's 190 miles.  

Thanks for the feedback. Obstructed are nearly as expensive as the balcony sat $135 difference.

Maybe go inside and cross fingers for upsell or upgrade.

The DW prefers the light and balcony.

Since our first inside years ago we always get balconies but this time......

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, klenklen said:

Having to attend a wedding in Seattle on 7/27 the day the Ruby returns to Seattle we seem to be locked in the 7/20 Ruby (perhaps the most expensive week to cruise in Alaska.)

First time to Alaska for DW and I and debating inside or balcony and saving $1500 by going inside.

What's the consensus do you save and spend time on deck and on excursions or spring for the balcony?

Just found out the wedding venue is north of Seattle so will also look into another departure port/date.

Thanks

We had a balcony and loved it. It was nice to have our own space going by the glaciers and watching for whales. I would definitely have a balcony if I get the chance to go again. Alaska was one of my favorite vacations

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 3:54 PM, klenklen said:

Thanks

Just my opinion: we have cruised many, many times in all sorts of rooms on all sorts of cruise lines.  We took an inside room on our trip to Alaska last year AND this year over choosing a balcony.  We even turned down an upgrade to balcony over another type of credit offer.  WHY?  Even in July, when we cruised, it was wet, cold and windy almost every day or parts of day.  We rarely wanted to be on the deck - let alone a balcony - for any measure of time.  Again, just my two cents.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:38 PM, Coral said:

I would put excursions at the top of my list. If you pay for a balcony and skimp on excursions, I wouldn't do it. I would rather stay inside and have great excursions.

I agree completely.  

I've done both on the Ruby. If you can get an aft inside like R740, you can be outside in seconds. Plus there is a pool and bar right there. Buffet is above we had no noise. If it is going to be your only Alaska cruise, I would do the balcony and bring a winter coat and hat, it gets cold when the ship is sailing.