Cozumel: What beach next for us?

mitsugirly

We are beach people and love to snorkel. We have been to Cozumel many times and been to the following places: Chankanaab x2, Nachi cocum, Playa Mia, Mr Sanchos, Passion Island, Playa Palancar, Money Bar and Paradise Beach. 

We are looking for something new. 

I know I have thought about Buccanos in the past but never made it there. Can anyone tell me more about it? Is there a cost to get in? (I was thinking there was some debate over the costs not being the same and someone discovered they charge different costs depending on if you are a cruiser or staying on the island? There was also some debate on if you get to use the cost for entry to be applied to food and drinks?). Do they charge extra for chairs and if so, how much? Is the snorkeling good there? I have seen a few videos and it didn't seem like it was the greatest snorkeling but lots of fish I guess.  Do they still have that zipline area and does it cost more and if so, how much? I seen a picture of a pool...can you use it for free? Anything else I need to know?

I have seen people mention Playa Azul. Can anyone tell me about that place? Is there snorkeling there? Pool? Charge to get in? Chair rental?

Also Sky Reef. Would this be considered the best snorkeling out of the above mentioned places? Some vidoes I have seen seem to have more there than Buccanos? Is there an entrance fee? Chair rental and so on? Is this a place you would hang out at all day? Or snorkel, have some lunch, then move on to someplace else?

What about Playa Uvas as well? Looks like there's actual sand (possibly like a chankanaab thing where there's sand above and snorkeling below?)

Any other places to snorkel that are recommended?

Edited by mitsugirly

I think you hit the snorkel places.  Sky Reef is next to Money Bar.   Corona Beach has some snorkeling, a little like north end of Chank.  But is a small beach.  We're looking at north of town as well for something different.

There are some threads here on Buccanos.  I think c-legs5 has been there.   But Playa Azul pictures look amazing.

There's a triathlon in Cozumel in October that I think the hotel helps sponsor.  Supposedly decent snorkeling and the dive shop offers offshore things. 

Waiting to here more from others. 

Cozumel is a scuba diving destination, not a snorkeling destination.  The reefs are too far off shore and too deep, which means all the fish are farther off shore as well.  Sorry, have hit all the decent snorkeling spots already for the whole island.  You can do a snorkel boat tour which will give you some okay snorkeling, otherwise I wouldn't expect much in Cozumel.  Beaches, yes, scuba, yes, snorkeling, ehhh.  

Edited by ABQrobin

I went to Playa Uvas in 2009 and really liked it. I've been contemplating going back when we're in Cozumel in March, so for selfish reasons I'd love for you to go and give me an update in one of your awesome reviews before then 😉

Edited by Lem_On_Ade

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I think you hit the snorkel places.  Sky Reef is next to Money Bar.   Corona Beach has some snorkeling, a little like north end of Chank.  But is a small beach.  We're looking at north of town as well for something different.

There are some threads here on Buccanos.  I think c-legs5 has been there.   But Playa Azul pictures look amazing.

There's a triathlon in Cozumel in October that I think the hotel helps sponsor.  Supposedly decent snorkeling and the dive shop offers offshore things. 

Waiting to here more from others. 

Oh ok, I didn't realize Sky Reef is next to Money Bar. I know so many people suggest going to the MB for snorkeling but I didn't find it interesting AT ALL. It was mostly a sandy bottom with some rocks here and there. Just not really my idea of "good snorkeling".

I have not heard of Corona Beach. If it's like Chank, I might be interested. I think Chankanaab has been the best snorkeling we have encountered IN Cozumel. I could possibly be satisfied with that. LOL

My neighbors have been to Buccanos and absolutely LOVE it there. They said the snorkeling was great...then last night they sent me a video of their snorkeling....I'm sorry, but that's not snorkeling to me. It reminded me of MB, which is mediocre at best IMO. The place itself looks awesome though. If we go, I'll have to go knowing that we are just going for a beach day and not the snorkeling and hope that I just run up on something interesting to make my day (this seems to happen to me often when snorkeling areas that have a sandy bottom and not known for snorkeling...lol).

I honestly don't care for off shore diving AT ALL. If you have to reach it by boat, that means it's deep and you can't get close enough for good pictures or be able to see much. I just don't care for it.

Playa Azul does look like it has a rocky entrance and rocks in the area...so it might be decent snorkeling. I'll have to check more into it.

8 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Cozumel is a scuba diving destination, not a snorkeling destination.  The reefs are too far off shore and too deep, which means all the fish are farther off shore as well.  Sorry, have hit all the decent snorkeling spots already for the whole island.  You can do a snorkel boat tour which will give you some okay snorkeling, otherwise I wouldn't expect much in Cozumel.  Beaches, yes, scuba, yes, snorkeling, ehhh.  

Yea, not really interested in off shore snorkeling for above reasons (when I answered crew). I assume that this would probably not be where I would want to scuba this time Robin? (We will be in Belize and Roatan as well and was thinking of a "re-do" in Roatan since last time we ended up diving a wall instead of West Bay like we wanted due to the weather conditions. Would that be my obvious choice this time around as well?

5 hours ago, Lem_On_Ade said:

I went to Playa Uvas in 2009 and really liked it. I've been contemplating going back when we're in Cozumel in March, so for selfish reasons I'd love for you to go and give me an update in one of your awesome reviews before then 😉

So what did you like about Playa Uvas? Gimme details. :D

When I try to look up pictures of this place, I see it has somewhat of a beach (which is good because you can't snorkel the entire time and we like to hang out on the beach some) but also looks a little rocky (the entrance into the water), which could mean possible "some" snorkeling. However, all you see is pictures of people going out to kayak. Is that all there is there?

Diving at Roatan would be more more to your liking. 

Cozumel is incredible diving, but it is deep and it is drift diving, so current takes you where it wants to go.  Its a little more skill intensive than you can really do safely in Discover scuba.  It takes some getting used to so you don't panic, especially when a current grabs you when you are down at 60-70' depth or more.  

Roatan, on the other hand, is easy diving and there are really nice reefs there that are shallow enough for you to enjoy diving.

9 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Diving at Roatan would be more more to your liking. 

Cozumel is incredible diving, but it is deep and it is drift diving, so current takes you where it wants to go.  Its a little more skill intensive than you can really do safely in Discover scuba.  It takes some getting used to so you don't panic, especially when a current grabs you when you are down at 60-70' depth or more.  

Roatan, on the other hand, is easy diving and there are really nice reefs there that are shallow enough for you to enjoy diving.

Awesome. That's what I figured. I remember they did offer DSD at Chankanaab the first time we went there. I remember seeing some divers there too and going around the statues in the water but wasn't sure just how much you could really get to see in that area.

I think we'll do Roatan again. Thanks Robin

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Mitsugirly - What beach is best for a beach day?  We are not interested in all inclusive because we will likely drink only water or soda.  We will be docking downtown.

Are you looking for just a pretty beach or snorkeling?

17 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

So what did you like about Playa Uvas? Gimme details. 😄

When I try to look up pictures of this place, I see it has somewhat of a beach (which is good because you can't snorkel the entire time and we like to hang out on the beach some) but also looks a little rocky (the entrance into the water), which could mean possible "some" snorkeling. However, all you see is pictures of people going out to kayak. Is that all there is there?

It was my very first cruise and first time snorkeling so I can't remember a whole lot. I know we had to walk down the beach just a little bit to get in to the snorkeling area. I was amazed at what I saw but that could possibly be just because I had never done it before. I'm just going off of their website and other people's pictures now but I think it's a place that will work for my family this time. I will have my aunt, uncle and grandfather with me so I think this will be a nice place for everyone. Me, my husband, aunt and uncle will enjoy the all inclusive aspect and the snorkeling and it will be an easy, relaxing day for my grandfather.

I hope you find a place that works for your family and I'll be anxiously awaiting the next review!

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

Mitsugirly - What beach is best for a beach day?  We are not interested in all inclusive because we will likely drink only water or soda.  We will be docking downtown.

If you go left off the downtown pier you'll find the area where Margaritaville used to be.  Not sure if anything has taken its place.  North of there are the beachs Mitsugirly was asking about (probably need a short taxi ride).

Hang right and head down a short ways you'll come to Sunset Beach, which is a pretty decent beach with reasonable prices and sand.  There's a dive shop, but many folks just lounge on the beach. 

Otherwise, grab taxi and head south.  Paradise Beach is usually a good spot.  If you go almost to the southern end, Playa Palancar is a great beach, usually quieter than others. 

3 hours ago, davy jones said:

Not overly interested in snorkeling, but might do a little if it is near the beach.

For the most part, if there's snorkeling in the area, there's not really a beach and vice versa. 

If you are looking for just a really nice beach that is not an AI, I'd suggest Paradise. It's so beautiful there with plenty of shade/trees, nice sand and a huge pool in case you get tired of the ocean. I have a review of it with tons of pictures in my signature line if you are interested. (There's also other beaches in there too if you feel like taking a look at the pictures to get an idea of what might suit your family). 

2 hours ago, Lem_On_Ade said:

It was my very first cruise and first time snorkeling so I can't remember a whole lot. I know we had to walk down the beach just a little bit to get in to the snorkeling area. I was amazed at what I saw but that could possibly be just because I had never done it before. I'm just going off of their website and other people's pictures now but I think it's a place that will work for my family this time. I will have my aunt, uncle and grandfather with me so I think this will be a nice place for everyone. Me, my husband, aunt and uncle will enjoy the all inclusive aspect and the snorkeling and it will be an easy, relaxing day for my grandfather.

I hope you find a place that works for your family and I'll be anxiously awaiting the next review!

Yea, I remember those days...fairly new to snorkeling and everything amazed me. I look back now and laugh. But honestly, I have found some interesting things when snorkeling in areas with sandy bottoms and places people said there's no snorkeling. 

10 hours ago, davy jones said:

Paradise Beach, reviewed by Mitsugirly offers great facilites, good food and drinks, a HUGE pool, nice beach and good service all for $3 per person admission fee/chair rental. Taxi each way will be about $16-17 for up to 4 passengers sharing the cab.

What about some adventure here?

Like the Xrail to Jade Caverns? Dune Buggy ride? Renting the little 2 person speed boats?

Has anyone done any of these? We've been doing some adventurous things like this on the last few cruises and have really enjoyed them.

Mitsugirly,

We have been to Corona and Playa Uvas.  Corona is no frills, lots of rocks , very little beach.  Snorkeling is mediocre at best.  Playa Uvas is tiny but nice.  Decent beach area and rocky in the water.  Snorkeling was pretty good.  I saw a huge grouper there.  We have done Cozumel about a dozen times and Chankanaab is my better half's favorite.  We snorkeled Dzul Ha before it became the Money Bar.  Wasn't really impressed but did see a big Morey in a coralhead there.

I have read several of your reviews and really appreciate them.  They have helped us decide on some of our stops, especially on our last two Eastern trips.

Thanks.  

On 6/8/2019 at 9:32 PM, clackey said:

Mitsugirly,

We have been to Corona and Playa Uvas.  Corona is no frills, lots of rocks , very little beach.  Snorkeling is mediocre at best.  Playa Uvas is tiny but nice.  Decent beach area and rocky in the water.  Snorkeling was pretty good.  I saw a huge grouper there.  We have done Cozumel about a dozen times and Chankanaab is my better half's favorite.  We snorkeled Dzul Ha before it became the Money Bar.  Wasn't really impressed but did see a big Morey in a coralhead there.

I have read several of your reviews and really appreciate them.  They have helped us decide on some of our stops, especially on our last two Eastern trips.

Thanks.  

Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it. It sounds like Playa Uvas would be a better choice if it has at least somewhat of a beach and snorkeling. 

I'm also looking into doing a buggy ride. Maybe that will pan out for us. 

On 6/6/2019 at 12:39 PM, crewsweeper said:

If you go left off the downtown pier you'll find the area where Margaritaville used to be.  Not sure if anything has taken its place.  North of there are the beachs Mitsugirly was asking about (probably need a short taxi ride).

Hang right and head down a short ways you'll come to Sunset Beach, which is a pretty decent beach with reasonable prices and sand.  There's a dive shop, but many folks just lounge on the beach. 

Otherwise, grab taxi and head south.  Paradise Beach is usually a good spot.  If you go almost to the southern end, Playa Palancar is a great beach, usually quieter than others. 

Don’t mean to bud in, just following Mitsugirly’s and Crewsweeper’s discussion and wanted to add an aside...

We hadn’t been to Coz in a couple years, and we took friends visiting us from the States for the day last April. We rented a car so we were able to hit several spots (including one of our favorites, the Bob Marley Bar for the spectacular east shore view). But we were most excited to revisit Playa Palancar as it was our very first Caribbean beach. We went there on our first cruise in 2002 (Carnival Triumph) based on research and we were the only couple on the entire beach all day! There was one lady giving massages and one worker delivering food and drinks from the restaurant. A very romantic and quiet spot...Paradise!

The beach is a bit further from the cruise ship piers than the popular beach clubs and although we didn’t expect Palancar to be as quiet as it was 17 years ago, this visit we were hoping to find it not as crowded as the beach clubs. We arrived in the morning and found the entire beach lined with lounges and umbrellas and palapas with tables, and every set of lounges and all tables but one were taken...Paradise Lost!

So Palancar has become as popular to day visitors as the other popular west shore beaches. And some of our other favorite more secluded or undeveloped beaches like Long Bay, Beef Island, Tortola, and Lindqvist on STT, have been developed specifically for day visitors. It’s great that more and more people are cruising today, it is an excellent way to experience the Carib affordably. It is just a challenge to find new favorites today...

Edited by blue_water

Curious as to how many ships were in on the day your friends were there?

Was Bab Marley's/Rasta's/Paradise Café/Whatever-the-latest-name crowded as well?

Would expect that since Playa Bonita and other places have closed on the east side.  Think Chen Rio, Coconuts, and Punta Morena are all that's left now.

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Curious as to how many ships were in on the day your friends were there?

Was Bab Marley's/Rasta's/Paradise Café/Whatever-the-latest-name crowded as well?

Would expect that since Playa Bonita and other places have closed on the east side.  Think Chen Rio, Coconuts, and Punta Morena are all that's left now.

There were 3 ships  in port, 2 large & 1 small. So a relatively light cruise ship day. The port area was not that busy, and the only congested area was at the cruise terminal which is normal. We were going to wait until a zero ship day but that wasn’t an option for us.

Bob Marley’s has always been Bob Marley’s to us, at least since we started going there years ago. The bartender was busy but there were seats at the bar and upstairs, and only two other couples on the beach with the 4 of us. So a very nice spot watch the enormous waves crash along the ironshore...

Talked to some of the staff who have been at Palancar for awhile and they said it’s just gotten to be so busy with the enormous number of cruisers, many of whom taxi further to get away from their fellow cruisemates, only to find them anyway...It’s just more of a challenge today to find that beautiful, swimmable beach with amenities, even a guy or gal with a grill and cervezas! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mitsugirly, have you guys ever visited the Humane Society of Cozumel?  They let visitors socialize with the animals or take them for walks.  Just a little idea for something different to do on the island.  It is within walking distance of the International and Puerta Maya piers and might help a mermaid miss her Loki a little less. 

On 6/29/2019 at 4:58 PM, o-state girl said:

Mitsugirly, have you guys ever visited the Humane Society of Cozumel?  They let visitors socialize with the animals or take them for walks.  Just a little idea for something different to do on the island.  It is within walking distance of the International and Puerta Maya piers and might help a mermaid miss her Loki a little less. 

We have not done that before. It's not really something we would be interested in while on vacation. My fam would be trying to adopt every one of them and I'd spend my entire day with them trying to see what they have to do to get them back to the US. :D

Well I had ALMOST decided to just do the xrails to Jade Cavern but considering where we are docking, this is starting to be a headache (us having to take a cab to the International port and then another to the office where you get the xrails...therefore costing us twice each way for a cab) that I'm just not sure what to do.

I just wanted to try something different...then I found this...

A snorkeling tour to El Cielo (which I believe that's where I have read about the sandbar with all the starfish and stingrays that hang out) and it also goes to Palancar Reef and Columbia Reef. It's a company owned by a family that is previously from the US and they have nothing but wonderful reviews. Although I don't care for snorkeling from a boat (unless it's in a shallow area that I can get close to the reef and fish), I hear the El Ceilo area is pretty amazing. 

Anyone been here or did this tour?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Super interested in this as well. My little guy would love the sand bar. Let us know if you find out any more info on this... if we end up going (Oct 2019) I will report back with photos. On a side note - it’s been awhile A. Love the website with a quick run down of ports 🙂 B. What happened to the sig line with all your links?  Whenever we book a cruise, I go looking to read (and reread) your adventures!