Debarkation - getting to FLL airport for early flight

kculater

Hello

How far is the Miami cruise terminal from Ft Lauderdale airport? If I do express debark on Horizon from a regular suite ocean balcony room, is it possible to catch a 10:30 am flight from Ft. Lauderdale (I also have TSA pre-check)? Has anyone done this before? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kim

Edited by kculater

The following is a quote from Carnival's transportation section on their website:

Pier to airport transportation -

Return flights must not be any earlier than 12:00 PM on the day of debarkation. Transportation service will be provided during the duration of the debarkation process.

Personally, I think you are cutting it extremely close! I recommend a later flight, however, if that is not possible, I recommend you purchase FTTF for express debarkation. FLL is about 26.1 miles from Miami Cruise Port which will take anywhere from 30 min to an hour. 

37 minutes ago, kculater said:

Hello

How far is the Miami cruise terminal from Ft Lauderdale airport? If I do express debark on Horizon from a regular suite ocean balcony room, is it possible to catch a 10:30 am flight from Ft. Lauderdale (I also have TSA pre-check)? Has anyone done this before? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kim

Has anyone done it?  Yes.  Have people made their flights, yes.  Have people missed their flights, yes.  Will your travel insurance cover a missed flight, no.

Which day of the week do you debark?  If it is a Saturday or Sunday, you have a better chance to make it.  Miami traffic can be horrendous; one accident and you will miss it for sure.  Customs may not clear the ship for debarment right away.  Just because others have said they are off the ship by 7:30 doesn’t mean it will happen every time.  Your taxi/shuttle driver may drive slower than others.  And I have seen TSA pre-check lines long as well, especially on weekends.  If you do this flight, check in with your airline the night before, get FTTF to ensure you are one of the first ones off, get an Uber (make sure you let the driver know your flight time), use the express lanes of I-95, and pray you make it.  

8 hours ago, kculater said:

Hello

Thank you,

Kim

Hi Kim

I am surprised that you wouldn't have seen this question asked before, but you must be aware that you can't be sure of when you will be able to get off the ship. So, maybe you might be able to get off the ship at 7 a.m., more likely sometime before 8 a.m., it is possible you may be delayed and debark after 8 a.m.. Then at around a 1 hr. drive. So, it is possible, if that is good enough for you. 

have a great cruise

Hi,

I will say we have made a 10:30 flight at FLL from the POM.  We were glad we made it, but it put added stress to the end of vacation.  That being said have a back up plan for all the reasons stated in threads concerning this topic.  The shuttle driver has told us I-95 can bogged down at any moment.  You can be delayed getting into port.  Customs can back up and the lines at TSA can take hours to clear.  

FYI, we also made a 10:45 flight MCO from Port Canaveral...

This past Saturday I could have made that flight leaving the Horizon.  I am platinum and did self debark and we waited for the SAS shuttle then we even went to another ship to pick up a family.  I could have been at the airport much sooner if I had taken a taxi or an uber.  My flight was 11:50 and we got to the airport at 8:20 ish.  The baggage guy even asked us what time our flight was, I don't think they take your bags before a certain time.  One thing about SAS is they have people monitoring the traffic.  There was road construction and we almost turned off at an exit but he knew it was clearing ahead because someone monitoring the traffic cameras told him.  In your case, I think I would use uber or a taxi just be to safe.  I had TSA precheck and was at the "new" airport Margaritaville by 8:50.

I make it a point to NEVER book a flight until afternoon for a return home from a cruise, because anything can happen to hold you up, and then miss your flight. I prefer a less stress, no rush, debarkation day. Take your time and enjoy the end of your vacation. 

It normally takes about 45 minutes  if you have no problems. In Feb we ran into a crash on 95 and traffic backed up almost to s stop at times. Still made it in hour and 15 minutes. I left early as Plat and took a friend to FLL. Just go to guest services and make sure you can get off with the Priority .Just show your ticket. If ship docks on time you probably will not have a problem. They usually dock early in my experience.