Transatlantic Question

cruisen cracker

My wife and I have taken a spring transatlantic cruise for the past four years, three times on Celebrity and once on Holland America. We are now considering Oceania for a spring 2020 TA.  We have been lucky with mostly smooth seas on all four.  My wife is concerned that the smaller ship could make a real difference.  What has your experience been?

Thanks.  

It's the ocean. If it wants to be really nasty, a cruise ship's size is less of a factor in its stability than is it's design and navigation.

In any case, compared to the cruise lines mentioned, your spouse will be too busy enjoying the far better food, service, amenities and ambiance on Oceania to notice any difference.

You're in for a really wonderful experience!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 3

We sailed on our first TA last year on Marina.  15 days across the North Atlantic from Montreal to London.  It was perfectly peaceful.  But Flatbush is right.  The ocean is the ocean.  Our worst seas ever on any ship of any size was sailing from Messina Sicily to Malta.  Never underestimate Mother Nature.

You did not specify which ship you are considering.  The O ships (Marina & Riviera) are larger than the R ships (Insignia & Sirena).  If you are considering the R ships and want some open ocean sailing input, you might post a question on the Oceana thread, "Live From" 2019 Insignia World Cruise Jan 11-July 11.   These travelers have been all over the open seas and could give you some insight.  

As for us, we would do another TA in a heartbeat.  Happy Sailing!

-Katie

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It's the ocean. If it wants to be really nasty, a cruise ship's size is less of a factor in its stability than is it's design and navigation.

In any case, compared to the cruise lines mentioned, your spouse will be too busy enjoying the far better food, service, amenities and ambiance on Oceania to notice any difference.

You're in for a really wonderful experience!

All of O ships are pretty large.... even the R class    However, they are smaller than the mega- Celeb monsters.

That said it will be fine...  Too many people stress that a smaller ship equates to a a rough ride.   Too many people automatically fear for the worst and scare themselves  needlessly 

Relax......it will be fine

time of year also matters

we just did  NYC to Southampton via Canada  on Marina  early April

snow, rain very rough ride  between Halifax to Ireland

Way too early for that route  😉

We have also had some wild seas in the Caribbean  Sea

You cannot predict the weather  or the seas

We've done several TAs in each direction ... some on an "R" ship, a couple on Marina.  While we may have had some rough weather, we've also had rough seas in the Caribbean.  I think the worst we ever had was going to Aruba from the Canal in O's early days.  Even the crew was seasick on that one!  The captain took Regatta further out into the ocean to avoid the worst of it.

So as others have said ... no guarantees.  But I also wouldn't avoid a TA just because the ships may be smaller than what you are used to.

As Lyn said -- we were booked on her April cruise on Marina but had to cancel, which turned out to be a good thing! -- time of year and itinerary is important.  The North Atlantic can be dicey ...

My husband's cousin served in WWII and was sent to the European theater NY-England ... he said that was a crossing to remember!  Of course, he was NOT on a cruise ship!!

Mura

Here is a valuable source of  info:   You can get PILOT CHARTS  for any ocean.   On those charts it gives for every sector the average sea state and wind direction and strengths   It does so for a full year.    In this way  you can calculate the % of  favorable weather at any time and somewhat project  your conditions.

The Book:    SAILING ROUTES OF THE WORLD    is like a farmers almanac  for mariners and has notes on special conditions and problems experienced.  .... Its fun to read and you can 10492101_1381255912192300_8212061976603547990_n.jpg.4b8168dcab04f53691d2b3a3a3854a40.jpgat thousands of potential trips   

Both are available from nautical and navigational  book/ chart suppliers.     The Office of Naval Research (ONR) is also a good place to figure out what is going on at sea.

I have used them myself  in both selecting cruises and navigating ships ( see attached) with great success  .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Here is a valuable source of  info:   You can get PILOT CHARTS  for any ocean.   On those charts it gives for every sector the average sea state and wind direction and strengths   It does so for a full year.    In this way  you can calculate the % of  favorable weather at any time and somewhat project  your conditions.

The Book:    SAILING ROUTES OF THE WORLD    is like a farmers almanac  for mariners and has notes on special conditions and problems experienced.  .... Its fun to read and you can 10492101_1381255912192300_8212061976603547990_n.jpg.4b8168dcab04f53691d2b3a3a3854a40.jpgat thousands of potential trips   

Both are available from nautical and navigational  book/ chart suppliers.     The Office of Naval Research (ONR) is also a good place to figure out what is going on at sea.

I have used them myself  in both selecting cruises and navigating ships ( see attached) with great success  .

You are a great source of information Hawaiidan!

Thank you

Denise😊

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

And USS Trathen didn’t have stabilizers (nor did the USS Ford or USS Wadsworth). 

If if you want to do a TA but are concerned about potentially rough seas consider taking the QM2. It isn’t Oceania but that ship handles heavy seas like no other.

Generally true, but in over 35 cruises over 20 years, two of the roughest seas cruises I have experienced have been on a NY to Southampton routing on QM2 and also a night between Le Havre and Southampton in the Channel on the QM2. One of the most calm cruises I have taken was a transatlantic on Oceania Marina between St. John NF and Belfast. So you just never know, although I agree you increase your odds of a "gentler ride" by cruising on the QM2. IMHO having to deal with formal nights and very mediocre food (assuming Britania Class) does not make the QM2 "worth it" in order to get a gentler ride.

Edited by edgee

Classiccruiser77 is right about the QM2. My husband and I sailed seven TAs on her and two were in heavy seas. She is double hulled and has fabulous stabilizers. However, the experience is nothing like TAs on Oceania or Regent. QM2 does not stop at any ports and crosses in seven days now. There is plenty to do on board.and we enjoyed our time on her. Our next TA on Riviera will. be 16 days in length with several interesting ports along the way and very interesting sea days. The sea is unpredictable and is, after all, made of water. Today's ships have sophisticated equipment for tracking the weather and usually adjust the ship's course. We have taken over 60 cruises, survived them all, and plan to do the same thing next time. 

Mary

• Like 2