Why is Norwegian the only cruise line not offering a full refund?

coutierpr

6 minutes ago, perditax said:

BUT THE IMPORTANT THING IS THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO! DIDN'T YOU READ YOUR CONTRACT!?!?!?

/s

None of the other cruise lines had to either, NCL just decided they didn't want to look like money grabbers compared to RCI and Carnival.  Always takes NCL longer to do the right thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mugtech said:

None of the other cruise lines had to either, NCL just decided they didn't want to look like money grabbers compared to RCI and Carnival.  Always takes NCL longer to do the right thing.

Keep in mind I am sailing on Celebrity this fall....I still think NCL's offer on this is the better offer.  All the money back, or basically two for one cruises.  

Are Carnival or RCI offering that?  I read where they were offering a small OBC if you elect to cruise...not 50% off and 50% off a future cruise.  For someone who likes to cruise, the NCL offer is a no brainer.  

IF you just want to see Havana....well, you get your money back.  

Not sure why folks are still knocking NCL on this....it's really none of the cruise lines fault.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 5

This is a nice gesture by NCL and the other cruise lines. I've read on the CCL and RCL forums and there are folks upset there too. Understandable. It is lose lose situation for the cruise lines.

However, some of the folks on these forums that are so quick to cite legalise, guarantees, and contracts crack me up. Irrespective of what the contract might say or not say, you take care of your paying passengers in a time of adversity....not because you have to, not because its your fault, and not because your contract says so. It is like the most basic fundamental rule of solid, A+ customer service.

In any adversity, NCL typically comes through for it's people even though they never seem to get it right on their first press release and first offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njkate said:

Very generous of NCL to do this, but my bet is you are still going to get people complaining over a situation that NCL has no control over!! Take it up with the White House lol. Myself I would sail with the 50% credit and then a voucher for another 50% credit on future cruise

Exactly what we are doing!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coutierpr said:

Never said they were obligated to do anything.  Never said I wanted a guarantee.  And I have read my contract,  was simply posing a question.

Because it's NCL choice , they hold the cards. What NCL is offering is great to some, poor to others, and some pax are just happy to be on vacation.

If this is the worst that happens in ones life ( missing Cuba) , they should count their lucky stars. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

If this is the worst that happens in ones life ( missing Cuba) , they should count their lucky stars. 

This is a logical fallacy called the 'fallacy of relative privation' ("this bad thing isn't that bad, because other things are worse"), and I really hate seeing it used to defend billion-dollar corporations. 

Edited by perditax

1 minute ago, perditax said:

This is a logical fallacy called the 'fallacy of relative privation' ("this bad thing isn't that bad, because other things are worse"), and I really hate seeing it used to defend billion-dollar corporations. 

Didn't say it wasn't bad, however with the Corporate world they play by their rules. They look at the bottom line , and pretty much don't care what others think.

It's why I retired when I turned 62.

I could cáre Less if it's a $$$$ corporation or a $$$$$$$$$ corporation. 

31 minutes ago, blcruising said:

This is a nice gesture by NCL and the other cruise lines. I've read on the CCL and RCL forums and there are folks upset there too. Understandable. It is lose lose situation for the cruise lines.

However, some of the folks on these forums that are so quick to cite legalise, guarantees, and contracts crack me up. Irrespective of what the contract might say or not say, you take care of your paying passengers in a time of adversity....not because you have to, not because its your fault, and not because your contract says so. It is like the most basic fundamental rule of solid, A+ customer service.

In any adversity, NCL typically comes through for it's people even though they never seem to get it right on their first press release and first offer.

In NCL's defense, the original story was from industry website.  I kept asking "where has NCL made an official statement on this" and as best I can tell nobody had an answer for me.  I think people were taking this story from this website as gospel, when NCL hadn't even officially made a statement.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Quencups said:

Exactly what we are doing!!

Samesies.. looks like my cruise is coming together on my profile.  Halfway built, and our Cuba stop has turned into a stop at Grand Bahama Island, and Nassau for our 7/29 cruise on the sun.  So we get three stops now  (also Key West) , plus half our money back, and half off another cruise in the next year and a half.

Thanks NCL. 

Edited by goksucats

25 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

For anyone still unhappy with what's being offered, what would it take in your opinion to make this right?

I want a Breakaway+ ship all for just my DW and I, with free everything, and a cherry on top!!

:classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, perditax said:

I'm sure there are many smaller, far more expensive independent lines that would love to take your money.

I'll never understand, as an American and proud proponent of Capitalism, other American's disgust for the mighty dollar, and companies, investors, and individuals desires to make loads of them for their hard work.  

2 hours ago, ml64 said:

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled and refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Guests impacted by these cancellations are offered a 20% discount off current cruise fares on any new voyages booked by August 5, 2019 for sailings no later than December 31, 2020.

For me this should be much worse than a changed itinerary. Money spent on airline tickets should be wasted if we couldn't find another cruise the same dates.

Edited by sverigecruiser

Just now, sverigecruiser said:

For me this should be much worse than a changed itinerary. Money spent on airline tickets should be wasted if we couldn't fina another cruise the same dates.

I would assume anyone who booked under NCL air (or their free & reduced air perk) would get refunded.  But overall?  I think the first offer they gave (cruise + 50% refund + 50% credit) was the ideal one.  Yeah no Cuba, but you don’t change your travel plans, and you get two cruises for the price of one

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coutierpr said:

We were to sail to Havana at the end of June.  I understand that this is not the fault of the cruise lines, however, why force us to travel somewhere we had not intended to go?  We would prefer a full refund, like other cruise lines are offering.

That is the business decision they made.  They are giving back way more than the contract requires them to do.

You can cancel and get a full refund

Guests booked on cruises to Cuba through September 2, 2019 have two options:

• Sail the revised itinerary and receive a 50% refund of the cruise fare paid as well as a 50% future cruise credit valid through December 31, 2020.
• Cancel the booking and receive a full refund. If guests choose this option, we must be notified no later than June 11, 2019, midnight EST.

Sailings beyond September 2, 2019 will be automatically cancelled and refunds will be applied to the original form of payment. Guests impacted by these cancellations are offered a 20% discount off current cruise fares on any new voyages booked by August 5, 2019 for sailings no later than December 31, 2020.

4 hours ago, blcruising said:

However, some of the folks on these forums that are so quick to cite legalise, guarantees, and contracts crack me up.

Just as there are some folks on these forums that are so quick to demonize the cruise line.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Just as there are some folks on these forums that are so quick to demonize the cruise line.

Oh, so you must think those that cite legalise and contracts are champions and cheerleaders for NCL? I wasn't going there.

I just meant that everything is so black and white to these people. Sometimes you have to find a common ground somewhere in between the extremes. Sometimes a business makes a business decision and it is ok to turn a blind eye to the legalise.

Edited by blcruising

Just now, blcruising said:

Oh, so you must think those that cite legalise and contracts are champions and cheerleaders for NCL? I wasn't going there.

I just meant that everything is so black and white to these people. Sometimes you have to find a common ground somewhere in between the extremes. Sometimes a business makes a business decision and it is ok to turn a blind eye to the legalise.

But what you don't see is that some demonize NCL no matter what they do, so it works both ways.    In other words, just as their are cheerleaders for NCL who think everything they do is right, there are jeerleaders who think everything they do is wrong and can't wait tojump on a topic and post their disapproval of the cruise line, even though many have said they won't cruise on NCL.  

I think many long time cruisers, actually read the contracts and know what the cruise lines have to do and don't have to do and will always respond with those facts. Does NCL sometimes go against what the contract says and give more, yes especially in this case.   Maybe if folks stop calling names, (I'm sorry for saying jeerleaders, I hate name calling, but it was just to make a point) there can be some great back and forth discussions on here, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I'm glad NCL decided to give a full refund to those that don't want to go on the cruise, because it was the right thing to do.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, goksucats said:

I'm sure there are many smaller, far more expensive independent lines that would love to take your money.

I'll never understand, as an American and proud proponent of Capitalism, other American's disgust for the mighty dollar, and companies, investors, and individuals desires to make loads of them for their hard work.  

Yeah, this was less about capitalism—although your fetishization of the dollar is noted—and more that people here act outraged at the idea of consumers informing and sticking up for themselves.

Yes, I work hard and I make enough money to cruise. I’m insanely privileged compared to most of the planet. And I’m still going to call out crappy behavior on the part of “hospitality” companies, no matter how many shareholders hang around here to try to shout louder.

There have been enough well-publicized incidents (weather-related, itinerary changes, mechanical breakdowns, etc.) in the last year or two that if you are booking a cruise, you NOW KNOW that "things can happen" AND that the cruise lines (no matter which one!) are not going to make you rich to compensate you for your perceived or actual inconvenience (or "trauma".)  So BE FOREWARNED and just don't book a cruise if you aren't willing to go with the flow!

Don't think "well, it WON'T happen to ME" because it just may....and you need to fully accept that before you book & pay for your cruise and step on the ship.

Sorry for the rant but I am so tired of the constant complaining from folks who act as if this is the first time a cruise line has had to change an itinerary.  It isn't the first and it definitely will NOT be the last.  So if you are concerned it may happen to you, time to call your travel agent and make other plans.

• Like 3