British Isles (Dublin overnight) Princess Cruise

Jenny2121

Has anyone taken the Princess trip British Isles (Dublin Overnight)?  If so, when Princess docks, will there be buses, taxis waiting near the ship?  I have read that people are not allow to walk thru the port to the exit.   On this trip, Princess has buses, that u pay for, that will take you to Edinburgh and Glasgow and drop u off and pick u up in the afternoon.  I find it odd that Princess is not doing this for Dublin. Especially for a two day visit.  Or is it something you need to sign up for on the ship? Thanks, Jenny

We are doing this cruise on the 18th.  From what I've read, there will be shuttles at the Dublin port for $8pp each way.  You buy the shuttle tickets onboard (so I'm reserving some OBC for that).  I don't know if you can buy them from the shuttle drivers for euros. 

I did take this cruise, but Dublin was cancelled due to high winds.  But, there always seems to be a taxi queue outside of every port I've been to, even the smaller ones.  And Princess also usually has, or contracts for, a shuttle to and from the center of town.

There will be shuttles, some years when we have gone there has been a charge (put on your shipboard account) and other years it has been free. The shuttle runs back and forth all day. Last time we had an overnight there we took the shuttle in and taxi back.

My understanding is the are 2 different docking stations in Dublin . One has taxi access and Princess runs a shuttle service that is $8pp each way. The other dock does not allow taxis and therefore Princess provides a free shuttle to downtown and back. No idea of operating schedule. Hopefully someone that has just finished on one of this years early sailings will chime in.

According to Dublin port website Crown docks most of the time at Ocean Pier 33 but for my cruise in August it states Alex Quay west 30 dont know the difference in distance and which one has free shuttle buses.

Edited by majortom10

We just got off the Crown yesterday.  There is a shuttle on the pier to Merrion Square north for $16 round trip and can be charged to your ship board account.  No walking is allowed since this is a working pier. 

• Thanks 1

We did this cruise last summer. Princess did offer a shuttle for $15 or $16 pp round trip. 

Day 1, we got off right away and grabbed a taxi easily at 7:30. Day 2, we got off at 8:00 and had a long wait for a taxi. We used the Princess shuttle for return on Day 1. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:10 PM, El_Snocat said:

My understanding is the are 2 different docking stations in Dublin . One has taxi access and Princess runs a shuttle service that is $8pp each way. The other dock does not allow taxis and therefore Princess provides a free shuttle to downtown and back. No idea of operating schedule. Hopefully someone that has just finished on one of this years early sailings will chime in.

We are on this cruise in August and from my research I found the same as this post.....in Dublin the shuttle is free or for a fee depending upon which dock the ship is located.  I have not been able to find anything though regarding times of the shuttles...as people who posted Patters from prior years were in port at times different from us. 

British Isles

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, TW6cruiser said:

We are on this cruise in August and from my research I found the same as this post.....in Dublin the shuttle is free or for a fee depending upon which dock the ship is located.  I have not been able to find anything though regarding times of the shuttles...as people who posted Patters from prior years were in port at times different from us. 

Looking at our Crown Princess Dublin Patter for 5/16/19, shuttle service began at 8:30 am which was our scheduled arrival time and if you had independent arrangements you had to go to Explorers Lounge and wait.  My sister missed her independent tour in Dublin at 11 am because it took so long to get into Dublin. 

On 6/7/2019 at 10:12 AM, Diver2014 said:

We just got off the Crown yesterday.  There is a shuttle on the pier to Merrion Square north for $16 round trip and can be charged to your ship board account.  No walking is allowed since this is a working pier. 

Does Princess at least have a free shuttle to get you outside the working pier area in case you just want to go for a walk or are you stuck on the ship if you don’t want to pay the $16 RT to Merrion Square? We’re on the July UK cruise. 

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Does Princess at least have a free shuttle to get you outside the working pier area in case you just want to go for a walk or are you stuck on the ship if you don’t want to pay the $16 RT to Merrion Square? We’re on the July UK cruise. 

from the May 28, 2019 Princess Patter front page: "For those guests with a private pick up arranged at the port gate, a complimentary shuttle will be provided by the Port Authority. (This service is very limited). The pier is a working pier and walking is strictly prohibited."  

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

We overnight last year in Dublin arriving at 5am.  The shuttles didn't start until 8 so we took a taxi.  There will be a taxi area setup right off the ship.  Also there was no restrictions on walking out of the port (Ocean Pier 33).   The ship was literally 3 minutes walk to the port entrance gate and roughly 1.5 km from ship to the point light rail station.  I was surprised to hear my inlaws walked to/from there. 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, Jenny2121 said:

Has anyone taken the Princess trip British Isles (Dublin Overnight)?  If so, when Princess docks, will there be buses, taxis waiting near the ship?  I have read that people are not allow to walk thru the port to the exit.   On this trip, Princess has buses, that u pay for, that will take you to Edinburgh and Glasgow and drop u off and pick u up in the afternoon.  I find it odd that Princess is not doing this for Dublin. Especially for a two day visit.  Or is it something you need to sign up for on the ship? Thanks, Jenny

Haven't finished my review but here are the Crown Princess patters from May 13 - 25, 2019.  We did not have Dublin overnight, we had Kirkwall as another stop.

Crown Princess Embarkation.pdf Crown Princess St Peter Port Guernsey.pdf Crown Princess Cobh Cork.pdf Crown Princess Dublin.pdf Crown Princess Belfast.pdf Crown Princess Greenock Glasgow.pdf Crown Princess British Isles At Sea 2019.pdf Crown Princess Kirkwall Orkney Islands.pdf Crown Princess Invergordon.pdf Crown Princess Edinburgh South Queensferry.pdf Crown Princess Southampton Disembarkation.pdf Crown Princess Guernsey St Peter Port Port Guide.pdf Crown Princess Le Havre.pdf Crown Princess Kirwall Port Guide Map.pdf Crown Princess Belfast Shuttle Form.pdf Crown Princess Le Havre Shuttle Form.pdf