Opting out of paying Daily Service Charge

8 hours ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

I have just booked on the Epic next month and booked through NCL UK. They asked me did I want to pre-pay the Daily Service Charge or sort it out on board. NCL however did say that the charge was discretionary and that you could go to guest services on the first day, complete a form and then there would be no charge on your account at the end. I believe that the idea is if you prefer to tip individuals yourself. This is not an attempt to not pay the hard working staff, but all I am trying to establish is if this practice actually works and if anybody has successfully had the discretionary DSC waived from their account. Any help would be appreciated

Consdering that the DSC is NOT a tip in the first place,  tipping anyone any ting does not 'replace' the DSC.  Why not just demand a refund of the taxes and port fees, or better yet your entire cruise fare, and 'tip individually" instead?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, liverpoollad said:

John, because the replies are from US folk who are used to paying grats.,

Here in the UK  in 2017 NCL changed the gratuity rule & stated that to attract more UK cruises the gratuities would be included in the all-inclusive deals. I too have just booked a cruise with them & find that this is not the case & there is a charge.

This is most annoying & do not know when this changed, you get no help from NCL on this issue.

What our friends in the USA don't understand that most Brits & Aussies hate the paying these gratuities & would prefer them included in the price & then we get a better idea of the end price.

The last three cruises I have done the gratuities were included.

Hi Liverpool lad, 

The all inclusive deal changed in the last 6 weeks for new cruises.

Our Getaway transatlantic cruise in April still had the package including the water. Now we are booking for next year & we having to pay for UBP etc & back to paying gratuities again.

This does not bring cruise price down.

Evie

1 hour ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

The replies from so many are now becoming a little repetitive. All I wanted to know was if anybody on here had gone to guest services on board and asked for the DSC to be removed as I have been advised by NCL UK to do if I so wish. However, that question to so many seems difficult to comprehend, so I will take the only decent answers from Keith Jenner and Liverpoollad and call a halt to any more posts. I see now why so many criticise Cruise Critic for having very difficult posters

Hi John, 

On our Jade transatlantic cruise 2017, people(uk) did have the grats removed by filling out a form & giving a reason, then it was removed from account on last evening.

Ncl guest services were not happy buy it was removed.

3 hours ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

The replies from so many are now becoming a little repetitive. All I wanted to know was if anybody on here had gone to guest services on board and asked for the DSC to be removed as I have been advised by NCL UK to do if I so wish. However, that question to so many seems difficult to comprehend, so I will take the only decent answers from Keith Jenner and Liverpoollad and call a halt to any more posts. I see now why so many criticise Cruise Critic for having very difficult posters

OH NO since you "called a halt" I guess no one is allowed to post any more.  Sorry but no individual member can halt further posts...  The admins on the other hand can shut down a thread at any time.  Brits are so pretentious.  Sorry your panties got all in a wad as a result of honest feedback.  Perhaps a few biscuits and a hoit cup of tea will calm you down!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I would never consider opting out...you do you...

You want to go back to envelope lines?

Ptc the way things sound these days we have gone back to envelopes IN ADDITION to the DSC. DSC was supposed to be instead of envelopes but seems the norm is to tip in addition to DSC.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FranknBeans said:

Why would you want to steal food from staffs mouths and their families back in there country when they work seven days a week for months and put up with all the crap from pax on a daily basis.

I know that this is Brit thing  need to get over it and remember  your not in your own country.

That is unless you are deciding to clean your own sheets,  wash your towels  and vacuum your cabin floor

> Lastly in case you didn't know camping is much cheaper and you don't have to tip

Omg talk about overreacting! This is why folks don’t ask some questions here. It’s been posted repeatedly that all crew get a minimum living wage and only if DSC goes above a certain unknown level do they get more.  Removing your DSC won’t steal food from staffs mouths. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Consdering that the DSC is NOT a tip in the first place,  tipping anyone any ting does not 'replace' the DSC.  Why not just demand a refund of the taxes and port fees, or better yet your entire cruise fare, and 'tip individually" instead?

Taxes and port fees are assessed by the individual ports. unlike the DSC, port charges are fixed and not discretionary. Therefore, they are not able to he refunded unless the ship is unable to dock or tender at a specific port. 

Tipping individually vs via the DSC is at the personal discretion of each passenger.

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Tipping individually vs via the DSC is at the personal discretion of each passenger.

Actually, it's not a binary decision, you may do both. We do both all the time.

Edited by valleyvillage

3 hours ago, blcruising said:

Taxes and port fees are assessed by the individual ports. unlike the DSC, port charges are fixed and not discretionary. Therefore, they are not able to he refunded unless the ship is unable to dock or tender at a specific port. 

Except the DSC has nothing at all to do with tipping.  You comments is like saying tipping individually vs paying the port fees and taxes is an individual thing.  Neither makes sense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Except the DSC has nothing at all to do with tipping.  You comments is like saying tipping individually vs paying the port fees and taxes is an individual thing.  Neither makes sense.

Here is how NCL describes it's DSC.....so, in my mind, the DSC is the crews tip. Whether one chooses to reward them in cash, via their onboard spend account, or not at all is a personal choice.

Norwegian Cruise Line is making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1, 2019. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to the onboard staff dedicated to delivering superior guest service throughout the cruise.  
Edited by blcruising

After cruising for 25 years I know the difference between tipping, port fees and port charges. I just want to make the passenger aware that if you chose to tip up front you normally can't readjust them on the ship. The passenger should also be aware that tips are shared with Managers, etc who do nothing personal for you. I consider them as overhead and prefer to tip those who take special care of me. I always over tip those who deserve it as I know exactly where my money goes. Forget about the envelopes. I just hand them cash. It's easier for all. For the drinkers out there pick your favorite bar and bartender or two and tip them upfront and ongoing. You Will be very well treated. By the way it's the same with Bingo. The ship keeps a large portion of the sales. 

Edited by rkelly21
Update

1 hour ago, rkelly21 said:

After cruising for 25 years I know the difference between tipping, port fees and port charges. I just want to make the passenger aware that if you chose to tip up front you normally can't readjust them on the ship. The passenger should also be aware that tips are shared with Managers, etc who do nothing personal for you. I consider them as overhead and prefer to tip those who take special care of me. I always over tip those who deserve it as I know exactly where my money goes. Forget about the envelopes. I just hand them cash. It's easier for all. For the drinkers out there pick your favorite bar and bartender or two and tip them upfront and ongoing. You Will be very well treated. By the way it's the same with Bingo. The ship keeps a large portion of the sales. 

Tips only go to the person you give them to.

1 hour ago, rkelly21 said:

By the way it's the same with Bingo. The ship keeps a large portion of the sales. 

DUH.  They keep 100% of the net amount of sales less the amount of prizes awarded.  The same as any organization that runs BINGO games!  They also keep 100% of the net amount of the cost of the ingredients used to prepare mixed drink netted against the price of the drink and 100% of the cost to run the cruise netted against the combined cruise fares.  Its called the free market system, it works wonderfully!

3 minutes ago, liverpoollad said:

John .

If you read this, you started this thread &  should be ashamed of yourself, look what you have done😁😂🤣

Liverpoollad, yes it is quite amazing how many posters (all American) can get upset at a simple question. I had read many times that a lot of cruisers refuse to use Cruise Critic Forum because of the nasty attitude of the posters. Now I see why. There was only you, Keith Jenner and Meandmaboy from Glasgow who actually responded with any proper answers without trying to raise further issues regarding my post. Thanks for your help

19 hours ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

I made it particularly clear in my opening post, that I was not looking to "cheap out" as you put it, whatever that means, merely asking for anybody to advise is it as easy as NCL suggest that it is to request not to be billed for the DSC. Why would they call it discretionary if it wasn't. ?

From all the replies, there has only been Keith (from the UK) who has come close to answering the question. All the remaining replies are from USA members. Is everybody afraid to admit they may have done the same in case they are castigated by comments on here or have passengers signed the form not been members of Cruise Critic?

wow: !!!!!

18 hours ago, zqvol said:

Completely untrue. The DSC goes to NCL. All crew is paid a salary. The only people who might get a little less each week would be the waiters and stewards.

There is no such thing as a tipping pool. The rules for paying mariners changed about  5 or 6 years ago and  you are talking about the way things used to be, not the way theey  are now.

Also the OP is in GB, their booking rules are different than in the US.

and you are !00% sure of this, even though no one else actually knows how the pool works? I would have to say, I am convinced you do not know. As for UK bookings, I am very much aware the system is a bit different in the UK> We are not telling me or anyone else something we do not already know. 

19 hours ago, liverpoollad said:

John. It does work, we have amended at guest services & also if you leave it to the last night, there is usually a queue of Brits & Aussies doing it. I have spoken to Brits who have told me they don't like the Grats., charge so get rid of the lot. which I would never do. THere will be no problem doing it, hope this helps.

Cheers.

NCL usually does it on the last SEA DAY. I believe anything before or after doesn't count.

12 hours ago, erdoran said:

Ptc the way things sound these days we have gone back to envelopes IN ADDITION to the DSC. DSC was supposed to be instead of envelopes but seems the norm is to tip in addition to DSC.  

I always leave my room steward extra, as I ask for ice etc...

Good bartenders the same....

But no, I have seen nothing that resembles the envelop lines of old. 

And to the OP, try going on any major cruise line board on Cruise Critic, talk about opting out of the daily service charge, responses will be much the same. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

20 hours ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

I am so sorry. When I  need to learn English I will next time ask an American. LOL

I mostly just read these threads without making too many comments...but that was just funny!  I love British humor.  My mother is a Brit and I grew up speaking the "King's English" and lord help me if I ever slipped up.  At 51 years young, I still get corrected sometimes 😁.

But to your point, I think that you can easily have the DSC removed by completing the form at guest services.  I have often seen long lines on embarkation day at GS and wondered what everyone was doing.  Maybe they were our Brit and Aussie friends.  Like others have said, I would prefer this charge to be wrapped up into the fare as well.  I really don't care how much of my overall fare goes to gratuities for behind the scenes folks who make my cruise great...Give me a price and I will pay it.  The fact the NCL makes the DSC seem optional is confusing for our friends of cultural backgrounds where "tipping" is not customary.  I found this out in Barcelona once when I tipped our waiter.  He said "no" because the price listed on the menu already included the gratuity.  So much easier that way!

• Like 1