Do men wear jackets on Azamara?

tring

I have got the message that Azamara do not have formal nights and is reputed to be casual dress, but do men sometimes wear jackets?  Going through the wardobe and disposing of some things.  Wondering if that light coloured linen jacket would ever be worn again, he does not see himself wearing it elsewear?  He has a lightweight black jacket, which he will keep, but is that the sort of thing that is worn on Azamara or is it just shirts (and jumper if needed) territory?

Also should I take a few decent dresses and an evening bag or two.  Sort of thing I would wear for formals - but not "formal, formal" dresses if you see what I mean.

Edited by tring

There is no need to wear a jacket...for anything.  It is an individual preference, only.  If he'd like to wear a jacket as he has few other opportunities to do so, then by all means take one.  But a man will never be out of place at any time on Azamara when not wearing a jacket.

Some men wear jackets for dinner in the speciality restaurants, less so in the main dining room. Ladies wear a whole variety of clothes - dresses, skirts/trousers and tops. The only thing you don’t see is a formal evening gown, but you do see ‘casual’ maxi dresses. 

• Like 1

One difference from some other cruise lines is that the same casual dress code applies every night in the main dining room and the two specialty restaurants.  There are no so-called formal nights, optional or otherwise.  There's none of the outdated nonsense where the cruise line dictates that this night is casual, that night is semi-formal, and the other is formal.  Passengers are treated as grown-ups, allowed to dress as they see appropriate every night.  It's a much more relaxed environment as a result, and much easier to pack for.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for those replies.  He will likely take his black jacket which will be easier to pack and will not crease as it is lightweight wool.  It is a late October Med cruise, so he may need something if we sit out on deck in the evening and it would look neater than a jumper.

Thinking about my dresses, the only full length ones I have now are cotton or other casual fabric that I tend to wear during the daytime in summer.  How times have changed..........

Are the public rooms still kept cool?  I remember on our one Azamara cruise 10 years ago always needing a sweater indoors.

Is a long sleeve polo shirt and chinos acceptable for men?  We did Alaska on Seabourn last year and even on the casual evenings men wore dress shirts and a sports coat... just no tie.

Depends on where you live I suppose. As you live in California you may feel a bit chilly but as a hardy Brit the public rooms don't feel cold at all to me! 😄

As many have said, you can wear what you feel comfortable in on Azamara, as long as you are reasonably dressed for dining. Chino's and a polo shirt would be fine....no need to wear a jacket unless you want to. It is a very different dress code to Silversea and Seabourn. 

Just now, SoBaycruiser said:

Are the public rooms still kept cool?  I remember on our one Azamara cruise 10 years ago always needing a sweater indoors.

Is a long sleeve polo shirt and chinos acceptable for men?  We did Alaska on Seabourn last year and even on the casual evenings men wore dress shirts and a sports coat... just no tie.

Totally acceptable. I don't feel the chill so it's not a problem for me, but depending upon where you sit can have a big impact. If the sun sets at the back of the ship then the rear part of the MDR and specialties can be really warm. If you are under an aircon vent then it can feel chilly. If you don't have a temperature that suits you then never be afraid to ask to move. 

In Prime C and Aqualina the pick of the seats seems to be at the back. I find the noise level and temperature to be better at the sides and front and added to the chance to people watch and not be quite so isolated this is for the most part where I like to sit. The windows are huge and you have a nice view regardless. 

I always take a jacket and will wear it at least one night, but I don't feel obliged to do it. Personal choice and as had been said here, it's nice to have that choice without feeling the need. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

What we love about Azamara is you are free to dress however you will be comfortable.  No one would look out of place with or without a jacket.  We no longer take jackets as they just take up space and weight in the suitcase.  The less we can pack the better !  Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

We  just returned from a 30+ day B2B Japan/Alaska cruise. I wore a jacket every evening, I do it because I feel comforontable wearing one, and there are some areas of the ship that can be chilly.  I will say that I was not in the majority, as time goes by I see less and less jackets worn on Azamara cruises. That said, you will not feel out of place wearing a jacket to dinner and the show. It's really your decision.

• Like 1

"Do men sometimes wear jackets?" Answer, yes we do. Sometimes. Suits also. It will look out of place at the buffet, but if you are comfortable wearing one, do so! They are not obligatory. (Except for my wife, who demands I pack one, for "special" events like Aqualina or Prime C. As Covepointcruiser pointed out, women do get dressed up, my wife certainly does, and I dress appropriately. I usually pack a tie or two, sometimes actually wear one. As long as you don't dress like a dumpy slob, you are going to be fine. That said, I was thrown out of Aqualina in April for wearing sandals to an afternoon tea. First and only time that ever happened. Luckily, I had packed shoes and socks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1