TWA Hotel at JFK

marco

We're flying out of JFK next week and plan to get there extra early and check it out.  Their web site says there's a "museum" and cocktail lounge that's on a "Constellation" parked next to the building. We're not going to book a room but want to see it, maybe have a bon voyage cocktail on the Constellation.  Has anyone done this?  Thoughts/comments?

Was there a couple days ago. Definitely a lot of teething problems but thats to be expected in a new hotel-- they had just had their food hall license revoked temporarily by the city so that was sort of a bummer (only in the food hall, which is like street food like Halal Guys, the main restaurant wasn't part of that). The Connie cocktail bar you should reserve in advance online (we were told reservations aren't always needed, but they were turning people away as they were at capacity-- its a limited space).  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, djandnic said:

I was looking at this hotel for a pre-night stay prior to a week long trip, but no long term parking. You would think a hotel at an airport would have some long term parking?!? Kind of odd I think.

Since they can charge $50 a night, there is no incentive to offer long term parking, although you can park in long term parking a5 JFK for $18 a night.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, mjkacmom said:

Since they can charge $50 a night, there is no incentive to offer long term parking, although you can park in long term parking a5 JFK for $18 a night.

$50 a night? I didn't a room less than $200 a night. If I could get a room for $50 a night I would gladly pay the long term parking fee at the airport.

35 minutes ago, djandnic said:

$50 a night? I didn't a room less than $200 a night. If I could get a room for $50 a night I would gladly pay the long term parking fee at the airport.

No, like most NYC hotels, they charge $50 a night for parking.

• Haha 1

I can't find it now but one of the articles about the opening included a quote that they plan to book at over 100% utilization for the rooms because they figure that many people will have odd check-in or out times.

And the comments about parking just made me smile, I saw where that one was going :classic_biggrin:  NYC is its own world.

Edited by CruiseDigits

10 hours ago, CruiseDigits said:

that they plan to book at over 100% utilization for the rooms because they figure that many people will have odd check-in or out times.

Pretty much any hotel will oversell their rooms on a nightly basis by about 3-4%, which corresponds to the number of no shows that they have-- the ultimate, and elusive goal, of a perfect sell. Airport hotels tend to play a little faster and looser, because their no show rates tend to be higher and guest flow is different. Worse comes to worse is that they "walk" you to another property if they end up with not enough rooms. Not something unique to this property. 

1 hour ago, CruiseDigits said:

Here you go, yes 200% is what they are targeting, "'My objective is to sell every room every day twice a day', said Tyler Morse..." 

He also is in the process of selling a bridge in Brooklyn if someone is interested...

• Haha 1

The hotel is open, but they're calling it a "soft opening"  I thin the Grad opening is scheduled for sometime in Sept.    A lot of the decor is original and that which is not is 60's retro.  Strange that the cafe was open for lunch and would open again for dinner, but was not open while we were there mid afternoon.  We did not see any of the rooms but we did have a bon-voyage cocktail on the Constellation.   Though it's parked right next to the building, it's not easy to get out to it, down, around, trough and out and then up the stairs to it.  Just beverages, no food, no bathroom.  A few original (but reupholstered) seats.  You can  peak in and see the cockpit and there is schematic of how the original seating, including the "lounge/cocktail bar" was.  We did nothave nor need a reservation and it was only 1/2 occupied when we visited.   The aircraft is much smaller than was expecting and now I know why when I was kid we went to Europe by ship.  It was a fun pre-departure experience!