Can UK customers book cruises on US website?

Hi All

Long time reader on this site, but first time poster!  Relative cruise novice with "only" 10 cruises, the first one back in May 1992.

We were booked on the Indy for a 14 night Baltic cruise in August 2020, but this was cancelled so we have FCC to use. We've been holding off booking a replacement Summer 2020 cruise, to utilise the FCC, until the right cruise jumps out at us.  I have now noticed a massive price difference between May 2019 prices and now, and between the prices on the UK site compared to the US site.

For example, back in May 2019, when we first heard of the Indy cancellation, I priced a Harmony Caribbean cruise for 9 August 2020.  A family of 4 in a midship ocean view balcony cabin was then coming out at £4,936.  Looking now, that same cabin is £7,516.  Even after the current £1,000 offer, that's £6,516, so a whopping £1,580 more than it was in May!!

I've priced this on the US website, and that same cabin is US$ 6,950.  That's roughly £5,500, which is £1,000 cheaper than buying through the UK website.  Other cruises were showing similar differences.

I know that prices move all the time, but I was shocked to see such an increase from May to now, and I'm also surprised that the US price is so much lower for the same cabin.

Do any UK customers have experience of booking cruises on the US website?  Is it even possible?

Thanks

Hi

If you go through to book on the US website it will ask you for a US postal address. If you have one you can use then no issues, otherwise you’d need to make one up. Considering nothing is sent by post and no proof of address is required at any point during booking or embarking I guess you’d be fine but I’ve never tried it. I am in the UK and I book through a US TA. Done it many times no issues, if you look online you’ll find one with a free phone Tel number from the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, colsky said:

Is it even possible?

Yes, but as was mentioned using a US TA would be even better. Summer 2020 prices will likely keep going up, so don't wait too long, besides, once you book under US rules, you can get price drops till final payment.

• Thanks 2

You need a USA address to book via the USA RCI website. I have never done it, but have wondered about using a friend's address but thought I would get rumbled when they match up my C&A number!!.

I use a USA TA extensively and have never had any issues.  She often has group rates and offers me OBC. I also benefit from price drops and the ability to cancel and get my deposit back or move the cruise before final payment. I always book under the USA Refundable Deposit option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a similar question.  The Mexico website often has kids sail free promotion on certain close in sailings when the US website is not running kids sail free.  Could it be as simple as booking direct on the Mexican website? Or find a TA in Mexico?  My credit card always seems to have good exchange rates from pesos and no extra fees.  Will it be a problem when they match up the C&A numbers?  It seems the Mexican website prices are usually a bit higher, but if there's KSF when it's not available in the US,  that's a much better deal.  

25 minutes ago, Dan83 said:

Could it be as simple as booking direct on the Mexican website?  Will it be a problem when they match up the C&A numbers? 

Yes. Very unlikely. For close in sailings it won't matter much, but if you book further out, exchange rates changes may come into the equation of which one is cheaper.

9 hours ago, normannna said:

We've booked no problem using US site via phone booking.  However, you will not be able to book via USA if you have a FCC in Pounds.  We've just gone through this with them yesterday - they just won't do it.

That's a shame, we have lots of FCC from our cancelled Indy cruise to use.

Does anyone have any idea why the US site is so much cheaper (approx. 20% on the cruise I looked at) than booking through the UK site?

RCL may have lost lots of UK customer goodwill with the Indy 2020 cancellations, and this big price premium on UK customers can't be helping to win the goodwill back.

3 hours ago, colsky said:

Does anyone have any idea why the US site is so much cheaper (approx. 20% on the cruise I looked at) than booking through the UK site?

RCL may have lost lots of UK customer goodwill with the Indy 2020 cancellations, and this big price premium on UK customers can't be helping to win the goodwill back.

Some, not all, of the price differences can be attributed to the extra protection UK cruisers get with their bookings, the rest is probably split between currency exchange rates, Royal don't change their rates daily, and GREED

31 minutes ago, uksimonusa said:

Some, not all, of the price differences can be attributed to the extra protection UK cruisers get with their bookings, the rest is probably split between currency exchange rates, Royal don't change their rates daily, and GREED

It is definitely not related to currency exchange rates, and Royal`s rates are updated constantly within all markets. It is just a different prizing approach for European markets decided by different Marketing teams. It is very rare that they also offer a better deal in Europe.    

Edited by Saab4444

3 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

It is definitely not related to currency exchange rates, and Royal`s rates are updates constantly within all markets. It is just a different prizing approach for European markets decided by different Marketing teams. It is very rare that they also offer a better deal in Europe.    

Maybe other countries but they don’t update daily for Canadian rates.  It’s more like every 2 to 3 months they get adjusted.

i do agree that it is mostly due to pricing strategy.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I've sometimes found that some of the UK v US prices are comparable and very rarely UK to be cheaper.  We had 2 Oasis cruises  cancelled due to the dry dock incident.  We were told via phone that should we book a cheaper cruise then FCC could be used and any residual carried forward to another FCC.  We had to cause quite a stink with Royal last night that they said unfortunately this is not available to UK bookers which is ridiculous.

Under the current deal there are *some* very good deals on the UK site for 2020, quite a bit cheaper than the US. So it isn't always the case we get screwed over. 

7 hours ago, uksimonusa said:

What extra protection do UK cruisers get? The Indy cancellations seem to suggest not many! 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, normannna said:

We've booked no problem using US site via phone booking.  However, you will not be able to book via USA if you have a FCC in Pounds.  We've just gone through this with them yesterday - they just won't do it.

This has always been the case.

15 hours ago, colsky said:

Usually when demand is high the prices rise. Or sometimes just before a 'sale' which isn't really a sale!

Why there is such a big price premium on European cruises departing Southampton next year... who knows! But it can't be doing them any favours. I will just send people elsewhere.

Edited by icsys

4 hours ago, normannna said:

I've sometimes found that some of the UK v US prices are comparable and very rarely UK to be cheaper.  We had 2 Oasis cruises  cancelled due to the dry dock incident.  We were told via phone that should we book a cheaper cruise then FCC could be used and any residual carried forward to another FCC.  We had to cause quite a stink with Royal last night that they said unfortunately this is not available to UK bookers which is ridiculous.

There are 'rare' occasions when the UK price is cheaper.

Our next cruise on Anthem cat 8D: US price 'BOGOHO' $799pp - UK price 'EARLYBIRD' £502pp

There are lots of conditions that are 'not available' to UK guests, which is why booking under the US T's&C's is desirable... if the price is right.

Edited by icsys

17 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Under the current deal there are *some* very good deals on the UK site for 2020, quite a bit cheaper than the US. So it isn't always the case we get screwed over. 

What extra protection do UK cruisers get? The Indy cancellations seem to suggest not many! 

Same travel protections which all European travelers get -- you are probably most familiar with the rights passengers have when flying, ie. delays lead to compensation, cancellations lead to both compensation, new flights (at no cost) and hotel stays etc where appropriate. They also have to comply with ATOL protection standards (you always hear that quip when you see adverts for travel, 'Suchandsuch is an ATOL protected company'). Simply put, 'It ensures that you don't lose the money you paid out or become stranded abroad if your travel company collapses.' All of these regulations cost money to the cruise carriers, hence pricing in the UK is more expensive.

Because we carry good travel insurance, and because I'm a US citizen and still have a US address I can use, we generally book our cruises via the US. 

Also worth mentioning that, for seemingly no rhyme or reason, sailing out of the UK specifically seems to be the most insanely priced cruise options. We now tend to fly down to Barcelona (2 hours on the plane, Barcelona port and airport are absolutely fantastic, quick and easy to use etc) to catch any Med cruises we want to do, saves us a ton of money and we get to avoid the channel crossing which tends to be rougher seas anyway!

4 hours ago, londongal796 said:

Same travel protections which all European travelers get -- you are probably most familiar with the rights passengers have when flying, ie. delays lead to compensation, cancellations lead to both compensation, new flights (at no cost) and hotel stays etc where appropriate. They also have to comply with ATOL protection standards (you always hear that quip when you see adverts for travel, 'Suchandsuch is an ATOL protected company'). Simply put, 'It ensures that you don't lose the money you paid out or become stranded abroad if your travel company collapses.' All of these regulations cost money to the cruise carriers, hence pricing in the UK is more expensive.

The standard ATOL costs £2,015 application fee plus a 12.64 pence variable per passenger charge.

Doesn't really warrant the high mark up of cruising from the UK.

Plus this scheme is for flight-inclusive holidays, i.e package holidays or linked travel arrangements, so booking 'cruise only' gives no protection under ATOL.

RCI may offer ABTA protection for cruise only but none of the invoices I have mention ABTA protection.

4 hours ago, londongal796 said:

Also worth mentioning that, for seemingly no rhyme or reason, sailing out of the UK specifically seems to be the most insanely priced cruise options. We now tend to fly down to Barcelona (2 hours on the plane, Barcelona port and airport are absolutely fantastic, quick and easy to use etc) to catch any Med cruises we want to do, saves us a ton of money and we get to avoid the channel crossing which tends to be rougher seas anyway!

You are correct in that some cruises out of Southampton for 2020 are insanely high. Only RCI knows why they are punishing the UK market.

Had our March 2020 cruise not have been very reasonable in the UK under the current 'deal' we would have booked via the US without hesitation.