Last minute 6/23 Escape to Bermuda

graphicguy

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just received this....anyone want to offer opinions as to how an airline that tried to put a poorly operating plane On the runway on one day, and tries to pull off the trick of telling us our flights THE NEXT DAY MAY BE DELAYED?

FAA desperately needs to hold the airline industry’s feet to the fire in ALL PHASES of their operations.....

unitedLogo-white.png

Disabled Aircraft at Newark Liberty International Airport

We are experiencing significant delays today, June 29, at Newark Liberty International Airport because of a disabled aircraft that was on the runway earlier this morning. We’re working hard right now to recover and resume regular operations, and hopefully this will not impact our flights tomorrow, June 30.

If your travel plans are flexible, you may want to consider flying on a different day or connecting in a different city. The good news is that we'll waive all the change fees, so visit the United app or united.com to check out your options.

For more information please visit united.com/importantnotices

This was on our news tonight!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/newark-international-airport-temporarily-grounds-flights-after-united-jet-s-n1024946

Edited by Chesneygirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Chesneygirl

I’ve flown 2+M miles on commercial airlines.   This type of airline issue, especially one that involves lack of, or barely adequate, service and maintenance results in more and more delays and/or less flight reliability.

Here’s a case where the jet blew out not one, but both tires.  Maybe something on the runway may have been the cause, but I doubt it given the flight had already taken off.  As they do, United’s explanation is dubious.

They’re prepping us to have our flight canceled a day later?  Only one flight had a safety stop.

This sort of thing is becoming more and more prevalent.  On top of that, the airlines don’t have enough pilots, enough flight crews, enough ground crews, enough gate personnel, etc.

I’m fearful we’re close to another flight catastrophe with this sort of airlines blatant malfeasance.

@graphicguy -  Arrrrh.  JFK delays @22:00 down to 1 hour (from 3 hours earlier)  but nothing like EWR, currently still at 6 hours instead of 7 hours earlier - UA's main hub, as you know.   FAA status attributing to weather & t-storms along the NE sectors.  Airport ops were shut down for no more than 90 minutes this morning but maybe one is still closed affecting ILS landings.   

UA cancelling add'l flights, probably as crews in the cockpits and FA timing out, unable to continue onward; and, not enough backups on standby ... Summer storms are worst than those major winter blizzards ... 

Are you on a non-stop mainline jet or smaller regional jet ... and, connecting via IAD tomorrow, afternoon ... I trust ?? 

P.S.  MarineTraffic picked up AIS data on the Escape already, looking like an early arrival, sailing under the VZ well before sunrise, slipping past the SOL ... probably between 4 to 5 a.m. based on calculated ETA at under 15 knots now. 

Edited by mking8288

So far, so good!

Off the ship (luggage carry off) at 7:30....through customs by 7:50....CARMEL LIMO waiting for me across the street from Pier 88 at 8:00.  Waiting for my 10:30 flight (that they claim is on time) at EWR right now.

Those embarking today, you’ll have a blast.  I left the ship in great shape.;)

C8B25463-1A2C-4EF6-A99C-62248447117B.jpeg

DC4F8A5B-24A4-4530-8569-6DCCC63A94C4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, finally made it home last night.  Not going to comment any more about United Airlines and American Airlines except I do believe the FAA needs to investigate them for malfeasance. 

Anyway, I promised I would flesh out the review with more detail and more pics.  Here we go.

To review, I got a great deal on the cruise itself.  $1,700....all in with fees, DSCs, tips, etc.  This was for a GTY balcony cabin that was aft (no, not one of the aft cabins with the big balconies...I WISH).

On top of all that, I got all the “goodies” thrown in....the Dining Package, the Drink Package, the 250 minutes of internet, $50 excursion credit ($50 credit per excursion, per day).  In addition, I got $400 OBC.  $100 came from my TA, $200 came from using my Platinum AMEX to book the trip, and $100 came from NCL for being Platinum Latitudes.

I used $200 OBC for the Thermal Spa.  And, I used another $75 of OBC to upgrade my internet to unlimited (“traded in” my 250 minutes perk).  AMEX gave me another specialty dinner.  Being Platinum Latitudes I got 2 additional specialty dinners.  In short, I had 6 specialty dining restaurants I could use.  I ate in Le Bistro (2x), Supper Club (used a specialty dinner credit to see Melinda Doolittle, who was on American Idol.  I know nothing about that show, as I’ve never watched it.  But, the show cost me $18 with my Dining Package credit as it was a dinner show.  Money VERY WELL spent.

I also ate in Moderno, La Cucina and Cagney’s.

All the meals in the specialty restaurants were excellent.

2834ED25-46C7-4F0A-B4BF-99B0AE92C3D9.jpeg

48317AA6-A4BD-4664-BEB6-A662562649A3.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I forget to take pics of my meals most times, but the ones I have are below....

Le Bistro...

Looks like you had the menus prior to the latest hikes (another thread) in those 2 restaurants plus the latest in Moderno & Teppanyaki?  Was there any talk onboard about the increases coming?  Not sure which ships already reflect the sizable price hikes but assume going fleetwide?  

You did great with the OBC and between AMEX and Platinum dinners and SDP you really lucked out!😊  I did notice this week certain cruises earmarked for Latitudes extra OBC and additional loyalty credits so glad that worked out for you as well.  

What's the next cruise or are you thinking of another spur of the moment fling?😉

Thanks for taking us along.

Did you go to Dinner with the Officers besides the Behind the Scenes?  

I remember fondly Captain Giovanni Cutugno from Italy.  Is he still the Master or maybe on vacation?  One recent change in the Daily is NCL no longer putting the full names of the officers (just the first) so getting more difficult to see who's who and if one might have sailed with them before.  Of course at the M & G the card they hand out has the surnames and numbers.  Was your M & G well attended?

Edited by snorklinbarb

Moderno......

I’m going to nitpic here a little bit.  The concept is the typical Brazilian Steakhouse.  Huge and varied salad bar.  All sorts of meats carved right at your table until you tell them to stop.

The sausages, chicken and lamb were all great.  But, they served what was supposed to be fillet (which is inherently lean) wrapped in bacon.  It was a bit tough and fatty.  They should take some lessons from Cagney’s.  That said, if you can’t find any other meats you like, you must be a vegetarian.

902C3167-1DAB-44FC-BC6C-95B2969A3837.jpeg

9D735EE4-DEA9-4F21-AF4B-D577108872A3.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snorklinbarb said:

Looks like you had the menus prior to the latest hikes (another thread) in those 2 restaurants plus Moderno & Teppanyaki?  Was there any talk onboard about the increases coming?  Not sure which ships already reflect the sizable price hikes but assume going fleetwide?  

You did great with the OBC and between AMEX and Platinum dinners and SDP you really lucked out!😊  I did notice this week certain cruises earmarked for Latitudes extra OBC and additional loyalty credits so glad that worked out for you as well.  

What's the next cruise or are you thinking of another spur of the moment fling?😉

I’ve got a couple of cruise next carts in the bank. So, not sure where or when I’ll go next.  Taking this week off work.  Doing cruise laundry, now.  I’ll get antsy here in about a month or so.  I’m always looking at pricing.  So, if I see a deal, who knows?

Didn’t hear about any changes in the Specialty Restaurants.  I know there were some “up charges” for a very limited amount of items.  But, I didn’t order those.  So, none of that matters to me.  Given I get free Specialty Dinners for being Platinum Latitude and using my AMEX, whatever pricing is on specialty restaurants really doesn’t have any effect on me.

I guess if you don’t have the dining package, price changes would make a difference.  But, I always get the perks, too.  So, I don’t even look at any price movement.

• Like 1

Most of my lunches I ate in either the Garden Cafe or O’Sheehans.  The food in both was varied and very good.  I was never disappointed.  Between Taste and Savor, they have a coffee station with pastries in the a.m.  I stopped there for my obligatory java and danish, which was fine for me to start the day.

I wish I had taken pics of the “Seafood Night” in the Garden Cafe, as it was impressive.  Then, you can also to to O’Sheehans for Prime Rib night, too.

This was a lunch (Reuben) I had at O’Sheehans...

F7E637EF-7075-4273-8DD3-A7E45573CC35.jpeg

• Like 1

The dress code is the same as it always has been, except I didn’t have to wear long pants to go to Le Bistro any more (yay!).

And, I didn’t make any reservations anywhere.  I tended to eat at “prime time”, too.  Not sure why......maybe my Platinum got me some “pull”?  But, it was great being able to do that. Might be an issue if you have a large group, though.

Loved all the food, wherever I ate (slight glitch with the filet in Moderno being the only exception).

• Like 1

@snorklinbarb

I was invited to 3 events with the senior staff on board. ....the CC M&G, the Latitudes Party, and another event that was an invitation only in the District Brewhouse (which seems to be the place they like to have get togethers).  Deepak Punia, the ship’s General Manager, was everywhere.  He was at every event.  He would even show up at some of the bars to see if everyone was having fun and to check in to hear of any “issues”.

Did not have dinner with him, though.  He arranged a private tour of the Haven for me as he heard me mention I had stayed in the Haven on the “Away” ships.

See below......the Escape’s Haven was the nicest I’ve ever seen.

8EB0E62F-E3A1-46EA-927A-64F29BAE5769.jpeg

75FD0517-8E67-4B29-8A2D-6658E22357EB.jpeg

9339FC39-177F-4A9F-BCEE-5424CB6710BA.jpeg

E0BD8FBF-0990-47AF-8656-0139A69F9EC7.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

how did you do in the BJ tourney? 

Crashed and burned.  I was the first one out.  I didn’t win one hand.  Closest I came was 2 pushes.  That’s OK.  I enjoyed it, anyway.

ENTERTAINMENT.....

I had seen CHOIR OF MAN on my Feb cruise.  It was OUTSTANDING when I saw it again last week.

Spoke about Melinda Doolittle’s show.  She was simply awesome.  It’s a shame she was only performing a limited engagement.  I would see her 10 more times if given the chance.

Wasn’t a fan of AFTER MIDNIGHT, but spoke to quite a few on board who really enjoyed it.  So, I’ll chalk that up to my personal tastes not aligned to that show.

There were movies in the Atrium....recent ones.  I stopped to watch one for a bit and one off the servers brought me fresh popcorn.  Nice touch.

There was always something going on in the Atrium.  I would sometimes just stop and watch....

EE5DC92F-6ADF-47F9-8578-C75E9DAA5A15.jpeg

BAFDD45F-4AE7-481D-8C3A-1664A3E21A27.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Crashed and burned.  I was the first one out.  I didn’t win one hand.  Closest I came was 2 pushes.  That’s OK.  I enjoyed it, anyway.

Assuming get nada for making the finals? 

• Like 1

Welcome back to reality!

Loved reading about your trip.  I have been on all the Away ship Havens and the Escape, IMO, is the prettiest and fully agree, Adrian is THE BEST! I hope he is on Encore next July!

Thank you for all your pictures! LOVE them!

• Thanks 1

Welcome back ... how was your flight on the "Friendly Skies" ... or was it "Friendship Services" (remember those taglines in the 80's and 90's)   EWR was running close to its "normal" services yesterday and it seemed the airline covered themselves with their on-time benchmark.  

Looked like you enjoyed solo dining & never gone hungry.  Nothing new as in 2019 dining menu items, it seemed but still, good enough for us (food is always subjective & personal).  Dexddd had a great time on MSC Seaside last week & uploaded some pictures to share.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMike45 said:

Assuming get nada for making the finals? 

Usually everyone at the final table gets a t-shirt or hat or something similar, but only 1st place wins the $500 cash, unless there is a side deal made among the players.

• Like 1

Thanks all!

The Comedian....funny, even at the “PG SHOW”....

To say that NCL still tops all the other cruise lines in entertainment was still true on the Escape.  Simply great (even when one of the shows wasn’t necessarily to my liking, the talent and production were still top notch).  I really like the venues where the performances take place.

A4AF2BF2-EA58-4659-BC68-D616178D34FE.jpeg